project parcel shelf...finally !

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

project parcel shelf...finally !

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Chaps,

Well I have had a repro CCI shelf since the Nationals last year ( John kindly picked one up for me), to replace the original one I had. Now before I get told off ( :lol: ) the original one I had the previous owner had cut 6x9 speakers into. now as this may suit some I did not really like it myself so wanted to get a replacement. I have been debating on and off for some time regarding the carpet to use in the CCI one so had pretty much put this project on hold, but as Simply Ford is fast approaching I thought I had better get some carpet into it.

Andrew very kindly donated some acoustic carpet mats he had spare last year and Neil (sheff) kindly donated some spray adhesive which I collected from him at Simply Ford...last year :)

So after trying a few carpets I have decided to go with the acoustic carpets I got from Andrew :)

Image20160314_153704 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160314_153851 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160314_153937 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160314_165621 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I also gave the rubber trim strip a rub over with black boot polish which cleaned it up nicely from the faded look.

So there you have it...at last I have got around to sorting the parcel shelf. I think it turned out pretty well and am really happy with it, although my "sticking down the material" is not perfect but you have to get "up close and personal" to notice it.

So just want to say a big thanks to both Andrew and Neil for donating the materials, and not to forget John who picked the shelf up for me at The Nationals last year. Cheers chaps :cheers:

Oh while I was at it I gave the boot carpet a good clean too with Car Plan Interior Valet Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner...turned out nice.

All the best

Nick

PS Sorry Andy and Des, I did not manage to get down to the Capri to sort the gear stick and clutch pedal...yet :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: project parcel shelf...finally !

Post by andyd »

Looking good from here Nick :)
Those repro shelfs are good, and much better quality than the originals IMO

Andy
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Those repro shelfs are good, and much better quality than the originals IMO
Cheers Andy,

I am pleased to be able to tick this off my list...next up the gear stick and clutch pedal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep the shelf is very good quality Andy. Only thing is its supplied with no holes pre-drilled for the hanging strings grommets so this was a bit nerve racking getting them in the right position...think its ok.

Thanks again mate

All the best

Nick
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

That's turned out really well Nick very neat indeed ..it's on my list eventually... :D

Des
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Looks superb, well done.
Those carpets look nicely cut to the right size! :whistle: :lol:

All the best,
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Bertie wrote:That's turned out really well Nick very neat indeed ..it's on my list eventually... :D
Nice one Des. Thanks mate. Its taken me about 7 months to get round to sorting though so just really pleased its done now and looking so good. I have some black and some "Tan" ish cord carpet spare. Give me a shout if you want a piece of both to see if you like it for your shelf. I can bring it to Besulieu for you. I will cut off enough for all 4 pieces for you. Let me know fella.

Cheers now

Nick
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Nice one looks really good to me. I have to get one of these and do the same as I'm never going to pay 300 quid for a genuine item that's had 30 odd years of storage. Did you rivet the rubber on or use adhesive?

Cheers
Mark
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Those carpets look nicely cut to the right size! :whistle: :lol:
You made a good job of cutting them Andrew :applaud: Nice one mate and thanks for donating them. The shelf will look great when fitted now :cheers:

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Nice one looks really good to me. Did you rivet the rubber on or use adhesive?

Hi Mark,

Thanks fella. Mate regarding the rubber I did have to rivet it on as its quite a stiff old boy so adhesive probabky not good enough. Mind you some of the glues are seriously strong these days.

Its a bit fiddly but at least with rivets you know it wont come off.

All the best mate

Nick

Ps If you get one give me a shout as I have quite a few spare "black" rivets if you want them
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Nick,

Well Done Lad!!!! At long last!!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Did the Stereo sound (Now you have this.) help you make your mind up and if so, does it sound better with the Shelf fitted??? Should do!!! It's all adding up to a Cracking Capri Nick, not that it wasn't already!!!

By the way, the Walnut Cake Mrs F Made, another SOLID WINNER there fella, absolutely to die for. She will need to get busy for Beaulieu for us all now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Nick, all the very best,

John...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Mind you some of the glues are seriously strong these days.
Hey Nick,
Have you progressed from abusing aerosol to glue now? :lol: I jest, of course!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Taff50ish wrote:Well Done Lad!!!! At long last!!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Did the Stereo sound (Now you have this.) help you make your mind up and if so, does it sound better with the Shelf fitted??? Should do!!! It's all adding up to a Cracking Capri Nick, not that it wasn't already!!!
Cheers John.

Yep, as you say..."at long last". Seems like ages ago I collected the shelf from you in the car park at Santa Pod last June :D

John I will pop down tomorro to fit the shelf and blast out some Pogues on my cassette player ! Cant wait. As you say it should sound even better when the shelf is fitted...and boy it sounds great as it is without the shelf :guitar:

John the Capri really is taking shape mate. I know I have said it before but your hands on help has been invaluable mate :cheers:
Taff50ish wrote:By the way, the Walnut Cake Mrs F Made, another SOLID WINNER there fella, absolutely to die for. She will need to get busy for Beaulieu for us all now.... :lol: :lol: :lol
:lol: Nice one John. Glad it you liked it mate. Yep I shall be arriving at Beaulieu with a cake of some kind...I just hope I dont munch it all before arriving :oops: :lol:

All the best John

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Have you progressed from abusing aerosol to glue now? :lol: I jest, of course!
Andrew this is a bit of a "sticky" subject for me fella :)

"I jest" :lol: Nice one fella. Proper english old chap. Bet the "youths" of today will think its another word for "shank" :lol:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Nice one okay cool I'll give you a shout. I'm a bit off yet but by the end of the year I'll be in for one.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
andyd wrote:Those repro shelfs are good, and much better quality than the originals IMO
Cheers Andy,

I am pleased to be able to tick this off my list...next up the gear stick and clutch pedal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep the shelf is very good quality Andy. Only thing is its supplied with no holes pre-drilled for the hanging strings grommets so this was a bit nerve racking getting them in the right position...think its ok.

Thanks again mate

All the best

Nick
Hi Nick,
Strange :? The one I bought had 2 pilot holes for the hanging strings that I had to enlarge.
Wasn't too keen on drilling and riveting the rubber strip either, but it looked good when done :) with only a small mark on the underside where the drill caught it :wank: :lol:

Andy
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Good job that is NIck, looks well :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Strange :? The one I bought had 2 pilot holes for the hanging strings that I had to enlarge.
Hi Andy,

Yep I was really surprised mate when it had nothing at all...not even a "guide" mark to indicate where to drill them. The thing is John very kindly picked this up for me directly from the CCI Shop at The Nationals last year so I just presumes this was how they came. But since this I see the ones that CCI sell on Ebay definitely show pre-drilled holes. I had my original one to hand so pretty much just measured the holes into the new one myself. I pilot drilled a tiny hole then extremely cautiously drilled the hole out. As the CCI is ever so slightly a different shape on the corners where the holes are, I still aint sure whether the holes I drilled are spot on but it seems to work ok Andy and looks close enough to me. You can check this for me at Beaulieu, but too late to do anything about it now anyway :)

I did not think to question it at the time as I know some reproduction parts need some work to get them to fit.

The rubber was very fiddly indeed to rivet and yep just like you a got a couple of "snags" when drilling :banghead: but thankfully underneath and not really noticeable...but now I have mentioned it everyone will be asking to see the underside of my parcel shelf now at Beaulieu...I should have kept quiet about it :oops:

Cheers Andy

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Good job that is NIck, looks well :)
Thanks Paul.

I am pleased I finally got it done now. The parcel shelf has been stored...ok "hidden" on the top of one of the wardrobes for ages ;) so its a big relief to get it down to the Capri this afternoon finally. I had another look at it in the new light of day today and yep I am really pleased with it. I may take a couple of pics when its all in as I cleaned the boot carpet too.

All the best mate

Nick