horrible vibration

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
snizeldelabmx
Car(s): mk3 capri cabaret II

horrible vibration

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hello.
I have a nasty vibration in my capri since I bought it 6 years ago.
I have been restoring ot since then, with not so much driving, but now that Im finishing it I cant get rid of this vibration.
When I first bought it, it started vibrating very bad at 70mph aprox. under that speed ist not that bad. it seems to come from the rear, but not sure as the whole car vibrates to a point where i have to slow down, just to dangerous.
So far. new gearbox, new CV joints and centre bearing on the propshaft. new 4 wheel bearings, new suspension, new bushes new wheels and tyres, new brakes, new steering( steering doesnt vibrate) and plenty other things. When I do 75 MPH if i put neutral, vibration isnthe same, so nothing to do with the engine.
so my thoughts is or either some diff bearing, or a bent half shaft maybe due to a sideway smash against a pavement or something.
Do some of you have any experience with something similar?
Thank you guys

Sam
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: horrible vibration

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Sam,
Could the vibration be something as simple as the tyres? If the car has stood for long periods of a month or more, the tyres can develop flat spots. I know from experience that the vibration from flat spots is not the same as a vibration from an out of balance tyre. The vibration starts from a certain speed and gets progressively worse the faster you go.

Andrew.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hi andrew thank you fpr your answer.
All that has been changed, more than half the car is new and still the same vibration.
I tryed 3 diferent wheel and tyre set. :|
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Andrew, good shout but Sam said he's replaced the tyres in list of parts that he renewed:

New gearbox
New CV joints
Centre bearing on the propshaft
New 4 wheel bearings
New suspension
New bushes
New wheels and tyres
New brakes
New steering (steering doesn't vibrate)
Plenty other things

Sam,
I'd say if the steering doesn't vibrate then it's very likely coming from the rear. I'd expect if the diff or bearings were damaged you'd hear that as well as feeling the vibration.
I think the halfshafts are a good place to start. I see you have 2 Capris. Would it be possible to swap them out, or swap the axle to test out your theory?
Sounds like you'd changed pretty much every part you'd usually put vibrations down to, and if it was happening before you replaced all these parts it's unlikely to be the result of putting something back together wrong or loose.

I'm sure someone will have other ideas to add too.
:goodluck:
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hi Matt thank you for your answer.
Yes the vibration was happening from the very first day I bought the car.
I wish I had two capris :D :D . In my avatar its a Capri cabaret second edition thats why i have the II hehehe.

But yes, Im going to get a measurement dial and test the halfshafts see if maybe one is bent, sounds like the best place to look now.

I will let you know when I test them see what I get.

;) ;)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`m sure if a halfshaft was bent you`d have a regular `bumping` which just increased with speed, not something which suddenly worsens at Xmph. That`s more like a resonant balance issue. Are you absolutely certain that the prop shaft was properly balanced after you had UJs fitted, as that would be my first thought?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I would think you'd notice a rear wheel wobbling as you spun it by hand if a half shaft was bent. Jack it up & put a brick near the bottom of the tyre then spin it - no need for gauges.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hello again guys
I had the propshaft balanced. it was a little unbalanced, they did a great job. I picked it up today and fitted it.
But....

The vibrations I had from aprox 50 to 80 mph have dissapeard. from 0 to 80 smoothe as a new car.
But suddently I hit 80 and the huge vibration is still there :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I was testing and its very strange. it doesnt apear progresively, it just comes at 80 sudently. its a massive shake of the car.
what i noticed is the three pedals vibrate a lot above 80, but a lot meaning rattling noise, togeather with the whole chasis.

Im out of ideas now...

thanks for your time guys
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi there,

Sounds like your having a Nightmare fella. If your happy with all the Bushes and Balancing etc. You've also double checked round the front, as these things can feel as if they come from one area, but in fact come from somewhere else entirely different. The one issue I had once, which took ages to solve with the Tyre company, was with a Set of New Bridgestone tyre's I once had fitted, many years ago, which were out of shape from manufacture. I had 4 off fitted, 2 off were faulty!!! As soon as I hit the Motorway, got up to speed, the car shook violently, I went back to the Tyre shop, they apologized, checked the Balancing and found 2 out, they re-balanced them, off I went again, same thing, back to them, out of balance again!!! This went on for some time, 5 goes approx, till I demanded they change them, (They were blaming the Balancing Machine.) once they changed them, problem gone, then another Year approx to get my full amount of Money back!!! Your Prop could have been the original problem, but just added to with the Tyre's, maybe???

Worth a try if every other Avenue has been exhausted. I drove me MAD!!! Best of luck either way... cheers,

John...

P.S. You could not tell from looking at them and spinning them!!! Also, don't trust them just because they are New!!! Best of luck again...
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Thank you for your answer john.

Im very happy with the prop, its taken all the vibration fron 30mph to 80 that i had.

About the tyres, I agree, and specially in this profile not using much the car, they deform quickly. But ive tryed 3 diferent set of wheels, 1 set original 13x6 rs wheels, 1 set of rs 15 inch wheels and now the superlights, and allways the same thing.
The whole car cas new powerflex bushes, but Im going to focus in gearbox and engine mounts as these are original and quite soft. Thinking about it today, it really does seem as if sudently the engine or gearbox touches the chasis somewhere, and thats why I get the vibration all of a sudent.
Its just an other idea I had, specially as my car was modifyed by crap conversions in the 90s by previous owner, and it has a 2,8 xmember with power steering and a pinto engine with custom mounts. maybe just to far back or something?

As soon as I have some time I will go back to investigate it.

thanks guys.

Sam
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Long shot but are you sure the exhaust is not making contact with the body . Mine does it with a couple of porkers in the back seat , doesn't really vibrate the car but it sure did make a racket ........the sort of noise to make you 5hit yourself till I figured what it was
Ha , I nearly had heart failure a while ago , was just moving off the service station forecourt , window down , and as I let the clutch out and started moving someone in the workshop let loose with a rattle gun............just for a second I thought ole Crapi was about to fly to bits :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Post by Swishy »

Bit of a wild card suggestion - especially as I know most things on the car have been changed and this issue has been going on a long time - but...

Have you checked the handbrake adjusters in the rear drums?

If they are adjusting or have been adjusted up a little too far all might seem OK when you jack the car up and spin the wheel but when running for a longer period or at higher speed that little bit of extra friction getting steadily worse as the drum gets warmer and expands could be enough to cause a wobble. Had this issue with a binding handbrake on of my own non-Capri cars - you could hit 60mph and maybe you might notice something but at 70-80mph and it would suddenly start shaking/vibrating from the rear - 50mph or below no problem no matter how far I drove.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Thank ypu for ypur replys.

Mc tool, I checked the exhaust system and it doesnt touch. That was changed too, to a sportex system, and it vibrated with both original and sportex.

Swishy, thats quite interesting, I did have to machine the drums once because they didnt pass MOT.
I think I will change shortly pads, springs and drums, as that hasnt been changed and could be the problem. I will let you know when I change them, see if it makes a difference.

Thank you both for your time :cheers:
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hello guys.

Im back working on the capri and ive retaken the vibration problem.

Ive realized that the propsahft that is on my capri, is the CV centre joint one, that I have red that they belong to the 2.8 v6. As mine is a 2.0 pinto, it seems to me that the yoke, isnt going in far enough in the gearbox.

Does someone have some experience with that?

This is a picture of my prop meeting the gearbox

And this is a picture i found of an original 2.0 5 speed prop meeting the gearbox.

There seems to be at least an inch or so in difference. I have to measure it correctly.

Thank you guys.

PD: previous owner had the 5 speed converison done by a company called "crap converisons"... I now know the origins of the name.... :evil:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

It does appear to be sitting to far out of the tail shaft housing, Unfortunately I have had plenty experience with crap conversions, the guy was a thief and stitched up a lot of people before he did a runner with a lot of people's money including mine, in fact he is still wanted by the police, I would double check everything that was modified by that so called company, cutting corners was their specialty, perhaps get the car checked out by Caprigear or Tickovers just to be sure

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Thank you for your answer Wayne.

I can see. I bought the car 7 years ago in an abandoned state. Ive restored every single bolt and nut and it runs great, but that damn vibration is driving me mad.
As the previous owner told me, crap conv. swaped the pinto for and EFI, and fitted powersteering.
So, it has a 2.8 crossmember with power steering, a pinto EFI and a 5 speed box.
Propshaft i do think I need to extend, ( I had it balanced not long ago :banghead: :banghead: )
Pinto in the 2.8 xmember looks ok, but gearbox mount is "made" I supose by crap guy.

My 2 concerns are: Prop being to short, or engine angle being the wrong one.

Ill keep posting if I get any results.

Any help is apreciated.

BTW, I wish I could go to caprigear or similar, But I live in south Spain :|

Sam.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Sam,

The 2.8 crossmember should be fine, as for the propshaft i believe you need a propshaft from a 5 speed car as if your car is fitted with the 2.8/3litre 4 speed propshaft then it will be 16mm to short for your application which may just may be causing your problem, I got this info from a book called Ford Capri restoration by Kim Henson, definitely worth a read as it contains everything you could ever want to know about the best car Ford ever made :burnout:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mr B wrote:about the best car Ford ever made
the best car ever made :)
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

pbar wrote:
Mr B wrote:about the best car Ford ever made
the best car ever made :)
Just an opinion of course and opinions are like arse holes everyone has one but some stink :xd:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mr B wrote:
Just an opinion of course and opinions are like arse holes everyone has one but some stink :xd:
Only some of them stink?!