Stupid Radio Replacement Question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Re: Stupid Radio Replacement Question

Post by MattMe »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
MattMe wrote: I may never use it in honesty, I just didn't like the thought of not having a CD player in the car. It made me feel uncomfortable. :lol:
As I said, horses for courses....
I simply offer suggestions or alternative options and leave it for the person to decide.

Andrew.
No doubt a few months after having actually got th car back on the road I'll have never used the CD and wish that I'd just got teh standard looking unit like John... Feel free to say you told me so ;)

Speakers arrived today. Looks like they should fit pretty well. Definitely the 4x6 will fit under the grilles, so I'll be out there tomorrow checking it clears the windows when they're rolled down and get the thing wired up.

Just need to get the tank off, underseal everything and poly bush the lot. Then fit the WUR and then actually drive it. With some tunes!

Definitely have my priorities in order... :headscratch:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

You seem to be well into your music Matt, what will you be playing?
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

pbar wrote:You seem to be well into your music Matt, what will you be playing?

Haha, good question!

Ermmm, Oasis for all the Mancunians? :sarcasmalert:

I'm one of those that'll happily say I listen to a lot of things, despite me finding it an annoying response to the question! I grew up listening to a lot of 'guitar music' - classics as well as modern stuff, but the last 15 years I've expanded. Couldn't tell you into exactly! I like a lot of electronica (Apparat, DJ Shadow), quite like some jazz (classics as well as modern stuff like GoGo Penguin), folk (Adem, Fink), some modern soul (Chet Faker, post-rock (Mogwai, Vessels, Bitish Expeditionary Force), some contemporary classic stuff (Nils Frahm etc). Erased Tapes is probably the label I've given most of my money to recently.

I like gigs - one of the reasons I moved to Manchester. Went to see Blanck Mass the other week, Offspring a month ago. Have tickets for The Album Leaf and Cinematic Orchestra next month...

Errrmmm... You know, whatever interests me. The only type of stuff that turns me off instantly in Radio1 fodder. Generic crap.

I got my own studio room setup here which has been somewhat abandoned since buying Crapi. I like making music too.

How about you?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Wow, not the answer I was expecting! (Not that I was particularly expecting anything). I am very much into most things 70's, but especially glam rock from that era, heavily into Slade, Sweet, etc. Groups like those have made some remarklable music that most people never get to with it being eclipsed by the success of the hits. Also stuff from groups like (again, retro) Queen, ELO, etc. For modern stuff then it's rock/metal. Maiden, Danzig, Manowar, traditional stuff like that. As you mention Offspring, I have a few of their albums, Smash is just fantastic, played that loads when it appeared. Cheers!
markthetart
Car(s): 2.8i special nimbus grey

Post by markthetart »

i was playing with the idea of a slim mag mount on the back of an iphone case. if you get 2 similar you can have one for normal use and the other for the Capper.
once you pull the dimmer knob off its potentiometer and stick the slim magnet to the fascia, it sits perfectly flat onthe dashboard next to the 2 AMM and OIL gauges. i have a 5s. the only problem is the phones keep getting bigger and maybe the next upgrade i have wont fit.

i cant remember the Kicker model no's but if you look at on the web ICE sites they are 6x4 60w front and 6x9 150or180w
i did mine in stages.

head unit and amp wiring kit and front speakers (no amplification) - half as loud again and very clear
then ampwired up with rears (rears run thru amp) - twice as loud with reasonable good bass and even MORE clarity
then have sub box built with kicker sub- then plug sub in - WOW!!!! Beaming. im in a disco and cant hear the engine Revs
its easy to stall at lights.lol you have to watch the Rev counter to pull off!
ZERO distortion!!!
Now its a F&%King NIGHT CLUB in there!!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!! the BASS resonance and DEPTH IS AMAZING!
on some dance tracks there is BASS DROP where the BASS 'Sinks down and drops thru the floor!!! all 3 mirrors vibrate and a
BONUS!!! i now have an extra FUnction GAUGE! - when you turn it UP the AMMETER needle 'Kicks' a couple of millimeters in time with the beat when your stationary. WELL cool
will take a short video if i get chance

But it looks period coz of the 4 oblong buttons on front and the Illumination SAME as Clocks! mad well impressed.
i, gonna get my mate (Photographer) to take a low light shot in the dark - it looks amaxzing at night.

only concourse 'idiots' keep a mint SRT32 period radio in their cars - thats why the never play music on it - CR£P!!! lol
get your Capri mechanically sound, Nice bodywork, Hifi it up, Drive it the way its designed to be driven and turn up that music and get exhillarated!!!

i have perf manifolds & Exhausts so dont NEED music for an exciting sound but when your dual carriage way motorway or just not in the mood for performance driving its sooo nice to crank the tunes up and relax in those half leather recaros with the windows down and the sunroof back 8-)

will take some more pics soon and a little video.......
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

markthetart wrote:only concourse 'idiots' keep a mint SRT32 period radio in their cars
Hi,
Can't say that I agree with that statement, but each to their own, I guess.

Andrew.
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
markthetart wrote:only concourse 'idiots' keep a mint SRT32 period radio in their cars
Hi,
Can't say that I agree with that statement, but each to their own, I guess.

Andrew.
I agree with Andrew on this one. I find it quite offensive to be honest. I'd rather be one of those concourse 'idiot' guys then a guy who wants to turn their Capri into a Corsa...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jim wrote: agree with Andrew on this one. I find it quite offensive to be honest. I'd rather be one of those concourse 'idiot' guys then a guy who wants to turn their Capri into a Corsa...
Hi,
I rather suspect there might be some intentional provocation going on with the "idiots" statement....

Andrew.
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jim wrote: agree with Andrew on this one. I find it quite offensive to be honest. I'd rather be one of those concourse 'idiot' guys then a guy who wants to turn their Capri into a Corsa...
Hi,
I rather suspect there might be some intentional provocation going on with the "idiots" statement....

Andrew.
Yeah, does look that way.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Good news, for a change!

The speakers all fit with minimal modification.
They sound okay considering their puny size. About what I was expecting, to be honest. They won't blow you away but are a noticeable (vast) improvement to the standard jobs.

The rears were a direct replacement, no mods required.

The fronts required a little more persuasion.

After removing the speaker grille they look like this:Image
Standard speakers for reference, if you're into that kind of thing :geek: :

The four nuts remove the speaker. I did this without removing the door card, just prised away a few clips from the bottom of the card to get my hand in when necessary.Image

This just pulls off. The bolts are attached to a mounting plate behind the door card.

My JBL GX642 speakers would not fit in the plastic housing without modification.
Standard front view:Image

Standard rear view:

Seemed a little wrong to chop up a standard part in good condition, but it won't be visible.
I started off removing a few centimetres of plastic, but soon found I'd have to remove the whole back part. Only a couple minutes with a junior hacksaw:
ImageImage

The JBL come with their own mounting bracket. Remove the 4 screws seen in each corner on this picture:Image

Refit in reverse order:Image

Easy:Image

The grille fits back on with plenty of room to spare, but no pictures of that because you all know what it looks like!

Basic job, I'm sure many of you have done already. Just wanted to show it done with these particular speakers.

The windows wind all the way down and absolutely no catching, even if I pushed/forced the door card in little.
These are 47mm mounting depth, so I'm confident around 50mm wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,
Matt.
caprirb
Car(s): Ford Capri mk3 2,3l

Post by caprirb »

Hy! Do all 70s blaupunkt radios fit into capri? Like Blaupunkt Frankfurt?
Thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

caprirb wrote:Hy! Do all 70s blaupunkt radios fit into capri? Like Blaupunkt Frankfurt?
Thanks
Yes that would fit. It's very similar if not the same as the Ford radios of the period - Blaupunkt indeed made a lot of the Ford radios for them.