What A Clown

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: What A Clown

Post by stevemarl »

I believe it is actually a known phenomena (phenomenon??) `risk compensation`. Apparently, when they started putting the rubberised floor covering on kid`s play areas in parks, swings, slides etc, they actually had an increase in broken arms & legs. Because it was perceived to be safer, the kids felt they could be more `ambitious` in their play. Probably same applies in cars, 17 air bags, ESP, side beams, feeling invulnerable....
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Now they are making Cars that parallel park for you.....WTF why take a test :banghead:
Soon the test will be how many words can you text in a minute, as the Car will have more brains than the Knob behind the wheel
and will do it all for them :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Soon the test will be how many words can you text in a minute, as the Car will have more brains than the Knob behind the wheel
and will do it all for them :doh:
Hi Andy,
I can't believe I'm saying this, but for urban journeys, is a self driving car such a bad idea? Providing it all works as it should, it will reduce the number of accidents. Personally, I believe that a fully self-driving car is safer to have in urban areas, where there is lots of traffic and pedestrians, as opposed to cars fitted with pedestrian-avoidance systems, ABS, ESC, EBD, ESP and all the rest of it, for the reasons mentioned by Steve a few posts ago.

We still want to be able to have fun out on the rural roads though!

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I do like the idea of the radar controlled braking, so you can`t (in theory) hit an object in front of you, simply because as mentioned it could prevent me being rear-ended by some knob who`s texting!

But, surely, don`t people have even a little bit of pride in achieving proficiency at something? Being able to DO something like co-ordinate hand/eye? Like parallel parking? What`s the point of being alive if everything is just prepared and laid in front of you?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
Finally got around to uploading the video of the incident that initiated this thread, if anyone is still interested.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Again,
stevemarl wrote:But, surely, don`t people have even a little bit of pride in achieving proficiency at something?
Clearly not, in the case of this driver, who has his own unique interpretation of the highway code.
This is an example of the inattentive and incompetent driving that I see all the time.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not forgetting this one from a few months ago.

This one was really close.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

3 classic knobs..... In that no one else is on the road except them as far as they are concerned
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Quite what was going through this chap's mind (if anything) is anybody's guess........

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

After almost getting hit he still did not get in what a plonker .
So do you have a dash cam in the Capri as well Andrew ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: So do you have a dash cam in the Capri as well Andrew ?
I do, yes. You know, just in case......

I do try to get the occasional driving videos as well:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That was great and the sound in the tunnel it just sings Capri . Also you caught the water on the bonnet that just sits there and if you slow down to about 30mph it lifts up and goes on the windscreen , as your great Capri has that good polished or waxed bonnet for the full affect .
I also have a dash cam in our vehicles just in case .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote: So do you have a dash cam in the Capri as well Andrew ?
I do try to get the occasional driving videos as well:

It's out in the rain :shock:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:It's out in the rain :shock:
I know, it's a bit of a shocker Peter! As I recall, it wasn't raining when I left home and this particular part of the video is a good hour and a half into the journey. Too late to turn around and go back to bed. In saying that, a trip across almost the entire breadth of Wales means there is a good chance of encountering some of the wet stuff at some point! :lol:

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I had a near miss the other day due to a complete twat.
I was on a short 2 lane road that was coming up to merging into another road on the right when all of a sudden a black A6 charged up from nowhere and was suddenly on my rear bumper. As i was in the right hand lane and knew both lanes would be merging into the other road i moved over to the left to get away from this twat. He then did the same to the car in front which was an early Fiesta being driven quite slowly. The A6 unaccountably braked hard, creating some distance between it and the car in front but then immediately accelerated again. The Fiesta was slowing for the junction and moved a bit to the right of it's lane. The black A6 then drove onto a chevroned section of the road, realised he'd run out of road and hit the back of the Fiesta. :wank: The Fiesta was driven by someone a bit nervous i think as it then moved over to the left before stopping. I had to brake to avoid the Fiesta going into the side of me but if it had have done it certainly wouldn't have been the Fiesta driver I'd have blamed.

Whilst the people in the Fiesta were still checking themselves and wondering about getting out of the car, the Audi driver jumped out and shouted to me " did you see that, did you see what they did ?"
He must have thought he was talking to a kindred spirit as I must confess I did happen to be driving an Audi at the time, albeit an estate car. I dont think he expected to be greeted by an irascible old rocker like me though somehow as i shouted back "Yes I saw it mate, you were driving terribly and caused that accident"
His face fell. By now the people were out of the other car so I made sure they could hear me so I said " Yep, you caused the accident because you were driving like a real knob" He came running towards me and I slowly went up on the kerb and drove round the left of the car he had hit. It would have been silly to miss the opportunity so I pointed at him and laughed as i drove past with him standing blustering in the middle of the road. The people in the Fiesta were laughing their heads off.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote: It would have been silly to miss the opportunity so I pointed at him and laughed as i drove past with him standing blustering in the middle of the road.
:agree:
I feel for the innocent people in the Fiesta though.
What I've noticed about drivers like the Audi driver in your story (not you, the other one... :)), is that however bad their driving is, it's always the other person that is in the wrong. Unbelievable arrogance....

Andrew.