What A Clown

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: What A Clown

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
Here's a good one. Unfortunately, the other car quickly goes out of shot as I was turning left, but you get the gist from this snapshot.
The blue car is going where it looks like it's going. Note the keep left sign. Yes, it's going to drive the wrong way along a dual carriageway! :doh: :banghead: 40MPH speed limit applies here, fortunately the traffic was very light at the time. The driver of the oncoming black Focus about to go into the lane nearest the central reservation was a little bemused to say the least....

As you may have guessed, the driver was elderly. I understand that at this age, having to give up your driving licence and the resultant loss of independence would be hard to take, but you have to question whether it's a good idea to let pensioners renew their licence without taking a retest.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
but you have to question whether it's a good idea to let pensioners renew their licence without a taking retest.

Andrew.
Lock em up and throw away the key..... :lol:
I think over 65 you should have an eye test and basic manouvers test every say 2 years?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andy,
andyd wrote:Lock em up and throw away the key..... :lol:
I like your thinking! :D
andyd wrote:I think over 65 you should have an eye test and basic manouvers test every say 2 years?
Something like that is about right. Just a basic test of reversing around some cones would probably be enough to sort out the people who are still able to control a car.
Good idea with the eye test. My Dad drives like a bat out of hell and can barely see to the end of the bonnet if he's not wearing his glasses.....

All the best,
Andrew.
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

Post by Tamworthbay »

Have you seen Logan's Run........
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Tamworthbay wrote:Have you seen Logan's Run........
I feel this would be a little harsh!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

We`re sort of getting back to the `bad truckers` debate; whilst I agree, there are obviously linstances of people who ARE unfit to drive, I can`t (personally) recall being put in fear of my life by an elderly driver; held up yes, frustrated yes, but not put in fear. However - the number of times I`ve seen potentially (and actual) fatal accidents caused by young tw*ts showing off (overtaking on hump back bridges, blind bends etc, etc ) or indeed middle aged tw*ts, in Audis, who believe being marketing team leader for North West region means they`re so important they can shove `lesser` people out the way.... Every single day! And I think that`s why there`s no real pressure to change laws, because statistically older people still represent less of a risk than other groups. (Although I agree a basic medical fitness test similar to HGV/PSV from age 70 would do no harm)
BTW I`m not retired, or even near it....sadly!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Yes, we all know that young drivers within their first few years of driving are statistically much more likely to be involved in a serious accident than any other age group. However, apart from educating these drivers, what else can be done in terms of legislating against them or regulating their behaviour behind the wheel?

All the best,
Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I despair TBH Andrew. I`ve seen what happens, as I`m sure you have, if only you could get across - it`s NOT a video game, if you get it wrong you don`t lose points - you die, you cause death and that`s forever. I would limit engine size though for the first twe years; I know it won`t solve problem cos you can still kill with a 1.0 litre engine, but it just seems crazy that you can buy an Imprezza straight after your test?
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: I know it won`t solve problem cos you can still kill with a 1.0 litre engine, but it just seems crazy that you can buy an Imprezza straight after your test?
Hi Steve,
I can't see a solution to this situation. Personally, I feel that even if there was a threat of losing their driving license permanently, some people would still take the risk. These are the types of people with no regard for other drivers or their safety, they just don't care.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andy,
I thought bikers were supposed to consider self preservation when riding. Obviously not this one, what a ridiculous manoeuvre.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Andrew,
This Prat was really lucky...I like how the Van Driver cleared off.
There will always be a handful of Bikers, Cyclists, Van Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Car Drivers etc that will give the rest a bad name....
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

Post by Tamworthbay »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Tamworthbay wrote:Have you seen Logan's Run........
I feel this would be a little harsh!
But fair?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Tamworthbay wrote:But fair?
As I'm over the age of 30, I don't think so!
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

So am I, perhaps it's going on a run with Jenny Agutta that appeals
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
stevemarl wrote: I know it won`t solve problem cos you can still kill with a 1.0 litre engine, but it just seems crazy that you can buy an Imprezza straight after your test?
Hi Steve,
I can't see a solution to this situation. Personally, I feel that even if there was a threat of losing their driving license permanently, some people would still take the risk. These are the types of people with no regard for other drivers or their safety, they just don't care.

Andrew.
My Son was telling me he had a near miss yesterday evening. He pulled up at a set of Traffic Lights in the R/H Lane as the L/H Lane had a car already waiting, next minute a Car goes straight into the back of the other car at enough speed to do considerable damage.
He said it was a Woman looked like in her 30's and obviously not paying attention to the situation.

A lucky escape but not for the other poor guy.........
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:He said it was a Woman looked like in her 30's and obviously not paying attention to the situation.
Hi Andy,
Phew, that was a close escape and draws attention to the fact that you can be the best driver in the world, but you can't always account for other people.
To expand on what Steve suggested in an earlier post, a lot of people these days seem to think that driving requires no more skill or attention than a video game. I can't believe that some people still use their phones while driving. The other day, I saw young chap who was clearly using his phone to text or use the Internet, or something. He lifted his head to look out the windscreen every 5 seconds or so. He was driving at 70MPH on the motorway at the time.....

All the best,
Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:He said it was a Woman looked like in her 30's and obviously not paying attention to the situation.
Hi Andy,
Phew, that was a close escape and draws attention to the fact that you can be the best driver in the world, but you can't always account for other people.
To expand on what Steve suggested in an earlier post, a lot of people these days seem to think that driving requires no more skill or attention than a video game. I can't believe that some people still use their phones while driving. The other day, I saw young chap who was clearly using his phone to text or use the Internet, or something. He lifted his head to look out the windscreen every 5 seconds or so. He was driving at 70MPH on the motorway at the time.....

All the best,
Andrew.
Mobile phone use whilst driving is my pet hate and if I had my way should carry a 5 year ban.
If I can I shout abuse at them :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I can't see a solution to this situation. Personally, I feel that even if there was a threat of losing their driving license permanently, some people would still take the risk
I believe it was Alec Issigonis who suggested that actually the best form of safety device would be a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel. That`d make them more careful!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:I believe it was Alec Issigonis who suggested that actually the best form of safety device would be a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel. That`d make them more careful!
Hi,
Interesting point, Sir Alec really was a genius!
Perhaps having safer cars is responsible for the deterioration in driving standards over recent years.

Andrew.