roll over jig

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

roll over jig

Post by Craigorypeck »

Anyone made a spit for a resto and have any pics?
:spam:
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Re: roll over jig

Post by Will01 »

I bought mine from Rollover jigs. It is a great piece of kit and has helped significantly in restoration of my shell. We invested in the larger heavy duty jig and bought adaptors for other vehilces we are working on currently.
Highly recommended and not too expensive. Time saved and being able to do a more decent job more than makes up for the initial investment.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Post by Matty2148 »

Your on the other capri forum arent you? if you are, ask CarlD for a pic of the jig he made, my MK1 is in it right now actually.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Cheers lads.

I had come up with the idea of using 2 heavy duty engine stands with a bit of extra bracing but give up on that...
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

I am looking at this at the moment. I really want one but don't want to buy a proper one. I had thought of using scaffold and brackets from this place: http://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/pr ... lamps.html

I planned to use two long tubes and two shorter ones to form a rectangular base using these.

Then an upright in the centre of the ends using these.

Then a diagonal to brace the upright on one side using these.

Then just need to make the mounts with bits of tube for the rotational members and a drilled clockface and pinion at 30 deg increments for fixing the position.

Not too sure if it will be strong enough because the recesses in the clamps for the tube are quite shallow. They are meant for guard rail so might not be as structurally rigid as I would like them to be. Still, it can be done with clips I guess although I think this would look messier. You can get casters for scaffold too, which are quite expensive. I already have some so was thinking of fixing those to my frame.

I have gone off the idea of making it mobile now though.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

That would work, bit of weld in the more important areas.

Im thinking 2 girders at each end of car that are mounted between the ceiling joists and the floor and the car can be spinning in between. Not very mobile tho
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

Craigorypeck wrote:That would work, bit of weld in the more important areas.

Im thinking 2 girders at each end of car that are mounted between the ceiling joists and the floor and the car can be spinning in between. Not very mobile tho
That is also a cool idea. A modified two post lift would be very cool. I have a rented property so I can't even entertain steel girders.

I have an A-frame that my Dad made me years ago with brackets that have fixed positions at about 45 deg to accept scaffold poles. I might just cut down the poles and make feet for them so they don't move back and forth.