Mk3 V8 build

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
V8boss
Car(s): Mk3 Capri with Boss 302, Tremec, IRS, RX7 front suspension
2x Mk2s donor cars
XY falcon, 351 V8, 4 speed AOD box and 9 inch

Re: Mk3 V8 build

Post by V8boss »

Yes, there is a bracket going to be welded to the new side plates, and then a removable peice of roll cage tubing with crush tubes will bolt in. This will also act as the radiator bottom support. I can't make this one yet until I have the engine in place so I can get the radiator where I want it.
drtdgg
Car(s): 347 Windsor powered mk2

Post by drtdgg »

hey mate, looks really good. nice fabrication. one of my mk2s is getting a 302/c4 and 8 inch soon. im down in dunedin and noticed you had mk2 parts cars, you wouldnt have a set of headlights and indicators would you? Taylor
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Sorry Taylor, sold all of that stuff ages ago. Mine is all Mk3, the mk2 stuff is hard to get I think.
jpt
Car(s): audi a4 [daily] ford capri 2.8 turbo technics x pack [restoring at moment ] cbr 1100 blackbird

Post by jpt »

looking good mate keep the pics coming .. :)
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Now have the engine and gearbox in the hole, starting to build engine mounts.

All the little pieces of card are the templates for the 3mm plate I will make them out of.

Do you think I could get away with this for my gearbox mount ? :xd: :xd: :xd:

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Air conditioning too, nice :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Progress has been steady, engine mounts have involved a bit of brain bashing to get right. They needed to be strong enough, but also allow clearance for the steering rack and steering shaft, plus allow the power steering hoses to fit. The rack CAN come out, but the subframe has to be out of the car to do it. But I can live with that, after all, how often should the rack need to come out of the car??? Plus I'll probably recondition it before it goes in for the final time. Progress photos....

Engine is back in the hole with the crossmember again, all bolted up. Just waiting for a new gearbox mount to arrive (using a ford F250 one), plus a new starter motor. Once they are all sorted, its time for custom headers.
jpt
Car(s): audi a4 [daily] ford capri 2.8 turbo technics x pack [restoring at moment ] cbr 1100 blackbird

Post by jpt »

top work mate keep it up going to look great .. :D
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Gearbox mount arrived, along with the new starter motor. Been a bit of one step forward, two back today. Found that th starter hits the dipstick tube, so that had to be cut. Sump needs to come off to be rewelded. Then found the sandwich plate between bellhousing and engine doesnt fit, need to get one off an AU falcon V8. So need parts, and more time. Bloody work keeps getting in the way! :evil:
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Bit of progress, have made all the headers, 1 3/4 inch into 3 inch merge collectors, all with mandrel bends. Sorry no photos, they are being ceramic coated at the moment. Will stick some up next week when they come back. But have got some photos of the latest work and the bling.....

shiny new ali radiator! Out of a R33 turbo skyline, double row 52 mm thick. Should handle the pace I hope! This photo also shows the engine all bolted into place, have also made the gearbox mount. Will add photos of that next week when I have it back on a hoist to finish off underneath. Also bought this while I was shopping.....

Nice hydraulic handbrake, just what you need for sliding around junctions on a rally stage :D

As you can tell from this shot, have removed the front radiator support panel, this is so I can put a removable bar underneath it to add more strength, plus we will replace the rad support as the old one got damaged when the engine dropped on it :? . I'll make that a bolt in/out jobbie of course, so engine removal will be a peice of piss if I have to take it out.

Old radiator support, must remember to swap the chassis plate back onto the new one!
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Changed my mind about using the other rad support, as once I got it off, it was really rusty underneath. So instead, went for the custom look.

Have also started a bit of beefing up underneath, rollcage tubing running between the headlight buckets, then will have bracing running to the inner guards and down to the chassis rails. This weekend the plan is to make up a peice of rollcage tube to go between the lower chassis rails to support the radiator and sump guard. More photos to come!

One more for luck

wheelie time!
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Got the headers back from the ceramic coaters today, couldnt help but fit them to see what they look like now they are coated. Also finished the welding on the gearbox crossmember, put 8.8 bolts into the crushtubes and captive welded the nuts onto the chassis rails. Just needs a coat of paint now.

Inside of merge collectors. Apparently meant to add up to 20 horsepower over just welding the tubes together. or so the guy selling them to me said :) :)

Shot of the gearbox mount. Pretty simple, but will help add strength to the underside. Will also be where I mount the skid plate to.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

Love it. Top quality work there. Great to see some really innovative new things in this build :D
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Love the work. some really nice fabrication there.
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

V8boss wrote:
wheelie time!
I’m guessing it won’t need axle stands to do that when it’s up and running! Stunning work.
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Thanks guys, I was starting to think I was talking to myself there for a while and no one was interested! More stuff to come tomorrow, radiator bar going in. Photos will follow, I promise. :geek:
hessu75
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk3 2.9EFI daily summer drive project
2.9EFI turbo engine project for the Capri

Post by hessu75 »

Yes, Correctly welded collector is a power increase.

When I was playing around with my Saab 9000 2.3T, this collector matter was crucial.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

What you have done to the panel between the headlight bowls has given me the inspiration of how to fix my laser.

Keep up the good work mate.
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Have added in the rollcage tubing/bottom radiator support. Decided to weld it in to help add to the strength across the front of the car between chassis rails. Will head off to the wreckers this weekend to see if I can find some factory radiator brackets to sit the top and bottom pegs of the rad into. In the meantime, photos as promised....

Gratuitous shot of the car on the trailer as I'm about to take it to a mates place who has an english wheel etc so we can make up a new transmission tunnel for it.
V8boss
2x Mk2s donor cars

Post by V8boss »

Trans tunnel all made, my mate also had the gear for swaging bigger holes, so knocked some into the rad support while I was there, came up mint! Started to mock up the radiator now. Pics as always......

ok maybe not, there seems to be a glitch with photobucket, will try again later.