my 2.0 cabaret II history and resto!

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
snizeldelabmx
Car(s): mk3 capri cabaret II

my 2.0 cabaret II history and resto!

Post by snizeldelabmx »

hi!
a couple of years I bought a 2.0 cabaret II, down here in spain, english reg tho, now changed to spanish plate with historic plating ( an option you can chose, its a little more expensive but MOT are softer and isurence cheaper this way)

until today ive done some work to it, having a student budget isnt making me to do things "cheaper" or worse, Im just taking longer :D

here are some pics from when I got the car.It sat 4 years or so with out being used in south spain, enough time to damage the paint work. It had an efi engine 5 speed when I bought it, It didnt work, the injection was all rusted so I just got it of and bolted a weber to it ( know I whant to fix the injection and put it back)

soon I had it in my little garage where I could star doing some bits an pieces, I didnt have a clue when I bought it but it was quite fun to learn with it ( well Im still are)
took the efi manifold of and fitted a carb with an electric fuel pump keeping the electronic ignition.I changed oil, filters, steering pump oil,water pump, thermostat ( it didnt have one) and I cleaned all the water pipes and sistem, also I changed sparks and cleaned and painted the rad.
Image[/img]

after 4 month having the car I still hadnt driven it, mainly because the paper work to plate the car was very slow, and I didnt want to take the risk of driving with no insurace, MOT paper work...
soon I got it legal and I whent to my first car meeting where I met some guys with capris that are now great friends ( althogh we only ring each other when it rains to have some "side fun" hehe)

summer 2009 I got hold of some 15x7 brooklands, well not actually brooklands, they are from a ford sierra, offset +25 and I fitted spacer at the front so they wouldnt touch the suspension strut
Last edited by snizeldelabmx on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snizeldelabmx

Re: my 2.0 cabaret II history and resto!

Post by snizeldelabmx »

at october we drove to madrid to a national clasic car meeting in the jarama racing track, more or less 1000 cars meet up and every 20 minutes a club drives on the track. I did 1050 miles to the capri in les than 40 hours and absolutly no problems so I was quite happy with that.but at the track I started to hate how the car handled, knackerd suspension and old broken bushes where verywhere so when I got back I was a bit anoyed with that so I just whent for the hole lot.
I took the real axle out
striped it to pieces
painted the axle with underseal
polybushed everything
new bearings
cleaned and protected the underside
[url=http://postimage.org/image/2v3vjeq ... .jpg[/img][/url]
gaz shocks and braided hoses
new shackles
cleaned up the diff and new oil
and 3cm spacers to stick out the 15"s as they are offser 25, 25-30mm, its like having a -5 brookland at the rear, I had to bend bit the inside of the arch but they look great ( I only have 2cm at the front just in case it could touch arches while bending)
this is how it sits with 3cm spacers and -1" lowered
Last edited by snizeldelabmx on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

in summer 2010, I had to take the lowering block of, some how I got it wrong and the washer that goes to the axle came off and the axle had a little move when I accelerated and braked.
in that same summer as always I get a summer job so I can get some cash and I got hold of a peterlloyd exhaust sistem that I fitted with polu bushes too.
I thought with the wrap I could do more that what it really was... so I only did the first 2 ones to protect heat to the steering pump... Im alwais saying I need to buy more wrap but I always forget...
I also got a steering wheel and after I did the console "carbon fiber look"
[url=http://postimage.org/image/2v9aotoec/]Image

at the end of the summer, i sold an old 325 i had and i whent a bit mad an bought some stuff...

a set of half leather recaros from ebay
and some alloys I always whanted since I first saw them!

Last edited by snizeldelabmx on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

the last thing Im doing to the car, (im still on it) is the front end, as last year I did the hole rear axle.

bought some cheap 2 hand front struts ( so I dond have to take mine off and I can still drive it)
striped them apart
took the rust of gave them a good clean and painted them with underseal

adjustable gaz front inserts
inserts in

top plates and top mounts rust free and protected ( I checked the top mounts and the rubber was perfect, the car I took them of only had 62 000 km thats like 40 000 mile?)

spring difference, they are 190lbs and -1"
fitted the spring things where they sit

and until last sunday when I finished putting to pieces the front legs!!

now its just a matter of saving up bit by bit to get hold of new front brakes and bearings and fit the hole thing, Im not going to upgrade much, Ill fit vented discs with recon m16 calipers with spacers and ebc greenstuff, maby change the master cilinder, and im modifying the disc covers to fit an air intake.

it will take a while untill I get back to the job, until then, thanx for reading!!!!
Last edited by snizeldelabmx on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mini
Car(s): mk3 capri 2.0 zetec laser

Post by mini »

to get you pics up mate you only need one img each side but good work keep it up

and the disc covers i just got rid of mine rather than modify them mate, if you are worried about stuff getting on the disc's if you a "air vent" the crap will still get in there save your self time and not bother lol. but its up to you really.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

mini wrote:to get you pics up mate you only need one img each side but good work keep it up
:banghead: thanx mate!

well I wasnt going to fit them, but I would like to fit an air intake to them, its always so hot down here my brakes fade quite a lot, my idea was to make a hole to adapt a flexi hose or something... maybe its just easyer to take them of and fit a small deflector?
Aj0r

Post by Aj0r »

Looking good
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

I recived my new brakes, new m16 calipers with spacer kit and vented disc,

Ive already spaced the calipers, just need to save up now for brake pads and new front bearings.

after that all the front end will come on!
and finally I got my front spoiler painted!

snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

turbo spoiler finally on!
and little sticker on the steering wheel that a mate made for me.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

a little push done theese days to the front end!

I fitted the front bearings, easy job thanx to nigecapris tip using the old bearing runway to push the new one in ;)
next, I fitted the hubs to the legs and I took the car to my mates workshop where his lent me his elevator and tools to do the front swap.

lifted up the car, and took all the old stuff out, not a hard job, but lots and lots of superficial rust so tons of 3 in 1 to undo the nuts.
once the legs where out, a good clean at the underside, and after a couple of bottles of 3M underseal to protect the underside. I also cleaned and painted the petrol tank. After that, the rebuilted legs when in along with the new TCA the polybushes and the braided hoses. Had a little problem with one of the copper pipes, the one from the front left wheel to the master cilinder broke and I had to make a new brake line ( it broke because it was quite rusty and fragile) After that I changed the master cilinder, easy job. I cleaned propely the fluid deposit and I gave a quick chek at the servo that seems to work ok. At the end I had a problem with the piece that holds the anti roll bar to the chasis, one of the screws snaped, but luckyly I had a spare set and I was managed to change it. I got new bolts for them and for the TCA to chasis. Finally I fitted the antiroll bar, ( swaped the 2.0 one for the 2.8 one 2 mm thicker) that was a little harder than I thougt but nothing serious.

I only got left to fit the front calipers and to fill the brakes with AP 600 that I have, and feel the diference! :lowrider: :lowrider:

snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

job finally done and car is allready on the grown. I aligned the wheels and whent for a ride, handling has improoved more than I expected, cant say much of the brakes until they wear a bit ( only done 10 miles)

the front upgrade for me is worth every single penny.

the ride hight for me is just was I was looking for ( its a little bit lower at the front once I drove it and every thing settled down)
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

hello!
this week end, finally I took the car for a paint job. I was going to change color, but having a look at "howmanyleft.co.uk, not many cabarets left, so Ill keep it with its original color.
as soon as its finished ill post some pics.

snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

car is painted!! this week they will finish painting the bumpers mirrors... and this week end Ill put it all back to geather.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Hi!!!

Some more updates, here are some pics of the car painted and in the street.
I still need to get hold of the original decals for the boot.

front windscreen decal

a temperature gauge, its a digital one, it shows the temp of the water en cº quite handy to have

pedals

and spotlights
these may not be cibie or hella, but also they arnt the same price!!!45 pounds for the set of 4, easy fittings and not bad lighting. Im having some stickers made to put over the covers, that way I get rid of the image they have and specially being upsidedown.

in mind I have and efi conversion (got everything ready, just saving up for the fuel pump)
fix the prop as it vibrates above 80 mph, fit roll cage and some harnesses.
In march there is and important historic rally in malaga (spain) It was a famous rally event in the 70s and 80s from the city up to the mountains, in march they are recreating the event but for historic cars, hopefully we will do well there!!
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

Nice one, it's looking really good! :D
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

looking good there, its a credit to you. Now enjoy it.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Liking that a lot. And also I've just found a new tyre manufacturer so thanks for that.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Thanks guys!!

Major_Tom you mean the ones I have? the maxxis ones??
there go pretty good, they cost me 240 euros for the 4 of them fitted, and the were great in a track day i went with them, and they also go well in the rain ;) ;)
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

I made some stickers for my spotlight covers!
image upload
png image hosting
snizeldelabmx

Post by snizeldelabmx »

here are some pictures at day time