starter motor

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
burgh89
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser

starter motor

Post by burgh89 »

My starter motor was working fine then literally five minutes later went to start it and nothing it makes the clicking noise but nothing happens. Smacked it with a hammer and worked again :deadhorse: , but now it wont even do that. Is it normal for the starter motor to just pack up so suddenly?

I do enjoy the comedy value of a bump starting down a hill :drive: , but it cant last so anyone know the best place for a starter motor and prices etc? How easy is fitment?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: starter motor

Post by Peter-S »

burgh89 wrote:My starter motor was working fine then literally five minutes later went to start it and nothing it makes the clicking noise but nothing happens. Smacked it with a hammer and worked again :deadhorse: , but now it wont even do that. Is it normal for the starter motor to just pack up so suddenly?

I do enjoy the comedy value of a bump starting down a hill :drive: , but it cant last so anyone know the best place for a starter motor and prices etc? How easy is fitment?
Fitting is a pop, just three bolts plus the electrical connections. ebay is your best bet for a replacement. You might get one for around a tenner if you're lucky or somewhere around £50 for a new one.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
jonnykillpop
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 injection, Lexus IS, Seat, VW Corrado VR6 (now my favourite fantastic car)

Post by jonnykillpop »

It'll be the solenoid on the top of the motor that's shagged but agree easier and better to get new one and fit whole thing. In the meantime if ya hit it solid with the wooden handle of a hammer just right, on joint next to solenoid should get it started OK, ya just trying to "click" the solenoid, it'll just click, or work properly, no in between. Takes me back a bit, I kept one going like that for bout 5 months when I was 17, and did'nt see need to buy a new starter when could spend money on drinking and partying instead, haha, those were the days, not knowing if you'd actually make it to your destination just added to the fun.
gt-bloke
Car(s): '85 2.0 Laser FR32 & 38 DGAS + Ford Weight Saving Kit (daily runner) - '77 1.6 GL (missus) - '69 2.0 GT XLR (project)

Post by gt-bloke »

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vehicleelectr ... X:SELLERID

Try these guy's. I've just had a replacement starter off them for the other halfs Mk2, reasonable prices and quick dispatch.

8-)
burgh89

Post by burgh89 »

Thanks for the replies folks, glad to know its not too expensive to replace.
Im only 20 and get a fair amount of stick for driving an 'old banger', I keep telling them how reliable its been over a year of owning it, but all that hard work has been lost as soon as you ask them to give you a push down the nearest hill!!
I agree tho car journeys are boring when you know you will definately get there!
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Whip the battery earth lead off before undoing the starter wires or you'll think you've started arc-welding when the loose end of the main starter power touches the X-member.
One pull-off little plug, one slide-off spade and the big red one. All three bolts can be reached by leaning down into the bay.
Ten minutes.
burgh89

Post by burgh89 »

I think it mite be connections because it works fine for a few days, then always cuts out after a particularly judderin start, if you know what i mean:headscratch:

Checked connections cleaned them up still the same click, but if I remove the small black plug wire there is no difference it still clicks.

Is this where the problem lies? Basically does the starter motor need all three wires to start?
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Yes, needs all the connections on.

Basically the starter takes a small current to throw the solenoid over and engage with the flywheel. Then it draws a much larger current to turn the thing over.
Clicking means the solenoid is working, though it may possibly not be moving all the way out and therefore not quite making the connection to energise the main power supply to turn it.

Check all the connections are clean. corrosion free and tight. Also check the other end of the fat red cable on the battery terminal is clean and tight.
If that fails, whip the starter off and make certain the drive gear is free to move fully through its range, any gunge around it can restrict it.
If all that fails, get another starter.

N.B. rapid clicking of the solenoid usually points to a low battery with not enough charge to turn the starter over.
ajholden

Post by ajholden »

I had this problem recently, - when I turned my ignition on all I heard was a click from the solenoid on the starter motor.

It turned out simply that the spade connector on the starter motor had come loose, and so I tightened it up (along with all the other connections, just to make sure), sprayed it with some WD40 and it worked!

So if you haven't already, check the spade connector connecting to your starter motor.

I hope this helps :)
bsaman001
Car(s): Modified 2.0 MK3 'krystal' <3, 01 ford ranger xlt 'Fenton', 2x toyota hilux mk3, volvo FH12 380, Ford 7810, iveco daily, golf tdi, jcb 408, Bsa C15S, David brown 25D, suzuki eiger

Post by bsaman001 »

i had this, was a bad connection on the + batt terminal
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

ajholden wrote: So if you haven't already, check the spade connector connecting to your starter motor.

I hope this helps :)
If he hasn't sorted it by now the old girl will probably have rusted away ;)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

What's going on with all these extinct forum posts being dredged up?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Scottish_Rob
Car(s): 1.9Astravan daily, 1.6 fiesta wifes & 2.8, weekender!

Post by Scottish_Rob »

Major_Tom wrote:What's going on with all these extinct forum posts being dredged up?
I often ask myself the same question.......
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Scottish_Rob wrote:
Major_Tom wrote:What's going on with all these extinct forum posts being dredged up?
I often ask myself the same question.......
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

And it was the brushes anyway , ( the solenoid earths thru the brushes and field winding ) worn brushes will let enough current flow to hold in the solenoid but not always enough to actually turn the starter , when they get really bad you don't even get the solenoid :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

Mine was due to the solenoid contacts being a bit burnt, this was due to arcing after I took it for a swim across an in-flood River Isla in Scotland many moons back. There was a tide-line along the inner wings level with top of starter motor - and halfway up the wire fence. All worked fine after a good polish :-)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.58822 ... 6656?hl=en

is it teatime yet?
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

It's good this zombie thread came back, as it's given me a possible diagnosis for an intermittent problem I keep having when starting mine.
For some reason, in hot weather (never does this in the winter) the car just won't start. I hear a little click (which thanks to this thread I've discovered is the solenoid on the starter) but nothing happens. Me having no clue what's wrong, I pop the bonnet and wiggle a couple of wires on the starter, and low and behold the car will start and work flawlessly for another week or two until the next time.
The wiggling of the wires works every time, so thanks to this thread I've figured out what my problem must be, I just can't figure out why this only ever happens during the summer, it's never a problem during the winter. Very strange. I'll clean up the contacts and make sure everything is tight and see how it goes.
Zombie thread ftw.