Essex 3.0 v6 in my 1.6 capri HELP!!!!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Gary-and-my-capri
Car(s): My 1983 A reg capri finally all finished....

Essex 3.0 v6 in my 1.6 capri HELP!!!!

Post by Gary-and-my-capri »

Hi i have a 1983 1.6 ford capri which i have removed the engine to put a 3.0 essex v6 into which i got from a 1973 scimiter gte, BUT the essex engine does not fit into my 1600 capri i think its because of the crossmember i think (the bit that the engine mounts sit on) basically the engine is to far foward to sit on the the 1600 mounts.

Can anyone tell me were i am going wrong please!!! :banghead:

Thanks
Gary

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RIGHT CROSSMEMBER AND MOUNTS FOR SALE SO I CAN GET THIS ENGINE FITTED.
Last edited by Gary-and-my-capri on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Essex 3.0 v6 in my 1.6 capri HELP!!!!

Post by Peter-S »

Gary-and-my-capri wrote:Hi i have a 1983 1.6 ford capri which i have removed the engine to put a 3.0 essex v6 into which i got from a 1973 scimiter gte, BUT the essex engine does not fit into my 1600 capri i think its because of the crossmember i think (the bit that the engine mounts sit on) basically the engine is to far foward to sit on the the 1600 mounts.

Can anyone tell me were i am going wrong please!!! :banghead:

Thanks
Gary
I'm sure someone will give you all the ins and outs but I can say it's not a straight swap. I think you will need a 3.0 crossmember and I'm certain that the 1.6 gerabox doesn't mate up either.

EDIT: there's a thred here - confirms what I thought on the box and doesn't recommend the swap anyway
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35080&hilit=conversion

a bit more on what you need here - cross member, rack, mounts etc..

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30478&hilit=cross+member
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
FORDRS
Car(s): 1974 2 Litre GT Hatch ( Longest rebuild in History )

Post by FORDRS »

Crossmember from a V4 2litre will do the job , but i believe there are 2 different 3litre crossmembers (ones which have 3 mounting bolt holes) but I stand to be corrected. :)
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Welcome to the LaserPage Gary and your capri.
As you've found out it's not just a case of swapping for a bigger engine. If you find that you need to drill new mount holes in the chassis for the engine x-member then it has to have anti-crush tubes fitted. Ford expected someone paying top price for a bigger engined car to want to USE it so they strengthened the bodywork over the 4 cylinder cars with this in mind, an original 3.0 and 2.8i shell has metal gussets welded in vulnerable areas to reduce body twist, suspension (front springs) ideally needs to be uprated for the heavier engine, the 3.0 litres ran on brakes and wheels/tyres similar to standard Laser but this was from 40 years back ! Minimum upgrade should be 7" wheels with 205/60 x 13 tyres or Brooklands 15" to give you a chance of stopping when someone in a moderen car with discs all round hits the brakes in front of you. Then maybe some bigger ront discs to suit.
If you need the car running it might be worth re-fitting the 1.6 until you get the right parts together to complete the job.
You'll also need an engineer's report to submit to your insurer who might want higher premiums than for an original 3.0 so worth enquiring there, and latest info suggests that DVLC will want documents about the replacement engine when you update your V5 logbook with them.
Best of luck with it and let us know how you're getting on.
Gary-and-my-capri

Well i dont know what to do now?

I think i will try to get a 2lt pinto engine and box and sell my essex back on is any one interested in a deal for my essex engine and 4 speed box new parts fitted ect?
simon.rob
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s ongoing restoration, white 2.8 injection and daily driver is a 2.0 seat leon fr

Post by simon.rob »

hi there! what condish is the essex engine and how much for the 4 speed gearbox seperately ?

cheers!

si
Gary-and-my-capri

Basically i bought the engine as a whole car a reliant scimiter gte the previous owner owned it for 15 years and then parked it up since me buying it i have replaced rockers gaskets sump gasket oil filter oil sparks plugs ht leads manifold gaskets and had the full set of manifold bolts re threaded/ helli coiled sump sanded back and a plate welded were there was a couple of pivet holescheck clutch and copper slipped all bolts i have taken off or installed i.e spark plugs so they dont seize in the future and painted the lot in red and silver as for the gearbox i have installed a new gearstick bush and a oil seal were the propshaft goes through and flushed new oil through

Why have you a 2.0 pinto engine or was it just the box you was after?

Really wanted to install in my capri but i think its going to be to much work for me.