Supercharged Essex V6.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
hollowaykid
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri MK3 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Supercharged Essex V6.

Post by hollowaykid »

Has anyone done this? if so did you use a kit and how expensive and hard was it?
What are the deciding factors on what supercharge you would use?

cheers, Stu.
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Re: Supercharged Essex V6.

Post by STOCK...tm »

i doulbt there is a kit available...there used to be....but wouldnt think anybody stocks them now...

If you were to supercharge an essex then you would want a bullet proof bottom end..... uprated rod bolts, forged pistons, uprated oil system....... the list goes on and so does the cost.....!

The usual supercharger is the Wade RO34...... originally fitted to the Commer TS3 two stroke diesel truck....from the olden days! ... then you will need a manifold etc..... it wont be cheap!
Image ImageImage
hollowaykid
Donator
Donator

Post by hollowaykid »

ive heard its an expensive engine! new to all this really im only 19 and trying to get ball deep in all this to learn as much as possible! and to be honest i know diddly about superchargers!
I got lucky with the engine its basically an unran engine which has been sat in a garage as it was taken from a schimiter to put in a ferrari dino replica that never got finished or barely started. My college lecturer who now owns the kit asked if i wanted the engine box and rear axle for £200! so i snapped his hand off and this is my little project. would it be more worth while turboing? i would love a supercharged engine though and will add to the enormous bottom end ive been hearing plenty about! which id love to have! piss all over the silly 106/saxo boy racers at the lights!

how much would i be looking to spend seeing as the engine is pretty much a standard one? its not gonna be going in the car for a while its a long term project to get it in tip top before it gets dropped in so dont mind splashing out for the rewards.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Stick one of these on!!
http://www.procharger.com/

Loads of good info on types and how they work on this forum link- http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f81 ... e-are-t84/

In hind sight I kinda wished I had of SC'd my YB.
:spam:
hollowaykid
Donator
Donator

Post by hollowaykid »

yeah not to fussed on the turbo route much rather the SC. ive just emailed them!
had a quick look at that link. i understand alot about the theoretical side of them and have stripped down and rebuilt a roots blower (not a big job i know) as im doin an engineering apprenticeship but they sent us on a course for combustion engines and tuning as some our gear at the power station is driven by it. dont get to work on it much as electrical biased but got a firm backround in mechanical too. just dont wanna get something too small that is the equivilant of a desk fan or to big that my engine shots pistons out like its ww3!
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Eaton M62 is what you'd need. I think it's Mercedes and Jaguar who used them so either Ebay or a nationwide scrapyard ring-round.
You could blow straight into the standard 38 Dgas but a suck-through with a big single carb could be an easier job.
Main thing is where you mount the charger to align the drive belt with a suitably modified drive pulley - either add a poly-vee pulley to the original or swap it for just poly-vee and also drive the water pump with it, fiddly though with having a power steering pump but those snake belts on the front of some V8's go all over the place.
Supercharged_Nat has an Eaton through a Dgas so search his posts and have a shufty at my workshop page below:
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

A 'REAL' supercharger has a toothed belt ! :cigar:
Image ImageImage