Alloy wheels on my capri.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jamesdockree
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Alloy wheels on my capri.

Post by jamesdockree »

Hi i want to put new alloys on my 86 laser and i would like to put 17 inch wheels on that are 7 inches wide. The alloys on the car are 6 inches wide and i was wondering if the front wheels will rub on the front suspension if they were 7 inches wide? The car is standard and has not been lowered but there is not much of a gap from the front wheels to the uprights. The rear wheels will be fine. Also would 205 tyres be ok without rubbing?

Thanks
24v_x-pack
Car(s): 1986 mk3 24v cosworth x-pack

Re: Alloy wheels on my capri.

Post by 24v_x-pack »

well i was running 205 60 r13's on my laser with no problems its now sat on 8 x 15's on the front and 10x15's on the back but thats with the aid of spacers i had 25mm spacers made to fit my new wheels hope this helps m8
doc
jamesdockree

Post by jamesdockree »

OK so 7 x 17 should fit fine with spacers. The wheels are wolfrace and i herd spacers are needed but is it true you have to lengthen the wheel studs?

james
24v_x-pack
Car(s): 1986 mk3 24v cosworth x-pack

Post by 24v_x-pack »

you can lenthen the wheel studs but i never had too. my spacers bolt to the original wheel studs then the wheels bolt to the spacers so i didnt need longer studs just depends where you get youre spacers from and whether they have prefitted studs in or not hope this solves things for ya.
Doc
jamesdockree

Post by jamesdockree »

Yeh, thanks
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

jamesdockree wrote:OK so 7 x 17 should fit fine with spacers. The wheels are wolfrace and i herd spacers are needed but is it true you have to lengthen the wheel studs?

james
Hold up a sec, nobody can say whether 7x17 will fit or whether you will need spacers without first knowing the offset. You need as close to zero offset as possible really. Secondly, 17"s usually look rubbish on capris, so think carefully!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

17 inch??? :shock: seventeen inch width maybe.... 17 inch rims will look gash!

Go for the widest 13 you can get hold of!
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

now now boys, each to there own and all that. But JC is right about the offset, its all about the offset
jamesdockree

Post by jamesdockree »

yeh i am re-thinking about the wheels, i herd a capri with 17 inch wheels will never drive as nice as a capri with 13 inch wheels which is kinda obvious. And you are right about the offset i need to know the offset of the wheels befor i purchase them.

thanks for the help
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

15s might be the best compromise, and it's easier to get tyres, although 13s have much more choice of style of wheel that suit the capri (unless you can afford to pay silly money on things like image wheels)
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

If you`re an "old timer" like me then 13s look best but its not fair to say 17s don`t suit a shell as big as a Capri.....here`s a pic of a really nice ragtop conversion. Spoke to the owner/builder and its running the original std 2.8 sussy with 215x40x17" tyres. No clearance issues even on full lock with heavy suspension movement at the same time and these wheels aren`t running spacers either. I`m kicking myself as I never asked if they were 7" or 8" and what the offset was but all he said was that the tyres came within a fingers width away from the spring seat on the front struts. It filled the arches and looked perfect in my opinion but you judge.......
Andy
Attachments
215x40x17inch (1).JPG
215x40x17inch (1).JPG (75.85 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Look like mundano wheels to me, don't like them at all, but that's just me. In my opinion, the only way to pull off big wheels is with a proper pro-street look.

Not really what I'd call pro street, but found when googling "pro street capri" and thought it was insanely cool anyway:

I'd guess 15 or 16" wheels on that? Simon's race capri with the 16" rfx alloys looks good too, don't know where to find a pic though.