SEP 1, 2019 @ DUNTON, FORD – THE EVENT YOU ALWAYS PROMISED YOURSELF

Post details here of any car related shows, meetings, gatherings etc that you want to share with other users.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: SEP 1, 2019 @ DUNTON, FORD – THE EVENT YOU ALWAYS PROMISED YOURSELF

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote:That’s great yes I have booked and just hope to be about for this fingers crossed . Just thought it’s a good chance to go around the ford Dunton test track .
Done mine too :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Peter-S wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:That’s great yes I have booked and just hope to be about for this fingers crossed . Just thought it’s a good chance to go around the ford Dunton test track .
Done mine too :)
That’s great peter looks like we have two busy weekends .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Good afternoon folks - been a long time since I posted on here - even on this thread.

I am pleased to report that the numbers have just been steadily plodding away, as we have seen people enter into this event.

We are up to nearly 170 Capris now booked in and I am aware of 20/25 who have yet to enter (and want to enter). So I think we'll get near to or even reach 200 Capri marker. You never know. The 11th hour flurry may see us way over 200 Capris. Who knows and let's see where it all falls out.

The idea is to park them in 2 lines, 100 in each line (or whatever the sum is, then divisible by 2) all along the race track that the R&D was completed.

What a fantastic sight and a real credit to you who are participating to form this. Thank you. Every Capri counts to form one the longest rows of Capris in this country this year for this iconic event.

Just to give you an inkling of what 100 cars in line looks like, side by side, herring bone style of parking, leaving space to avoid door dinging (no Tescos car park issue), we are looking at over a third of a mile in length.

So nearly three quarters of a mile of Capris in total. You measure these sorts of volume in miles or fractions of miles because of the sheer size. But because the parking is linear, the magnitude is clearer.

For those of you who have wanted to enter but yet to do so, there is still time. The closing date is 17th August.

For those of you who are undecided, please do come along to this one time, last ever Ford event for the Capri. It won't be done again at Ford and you are entering into an iconic show that not only has volume, but has significance.

200 Capris, one race track, Ford premises - now that sounds like a proper Fest!

You have seen the feedback on the recent Ford Warley event and how so many people loved just being there. We expect the Dunton event to be the same.

Thanks again for participating and entering. Here is the link for any of you who are yet to consider entering / want to enter.

https://www.sfh.org.uk/frankies-classic-car-show
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

OK - now we really are cooking. So we have:-

Rod Mansfield talking about R&D on performance Ford models
The rest of the SVE team talking as well
Harry Calton - how Ford Europe got together
Steve Parker - product planning around the Capri
Stuart Turner - motorsport world
Peter Lee is talking Transits

All the while, Graham Robson is compere for the day.

We are looking now at getting Steve Saxty to talk over the cars with each owner. So a selected Capri version comes down to the stage area and the Steve presents this to the audience. The respective club owner will be interviewed by Graham at the same time.

This people is looking a mouth waterer. How can you possibly not be here to listen to all of this?? :D
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

We now have as many as 20 of the ex SVE team coming and they will mingle with the Capri owners, help each one find another 20-30 horses (stuff that you don't find in the Haynes - stuff you only find under testing) and all that good stuff. Also, we will have some tales from them - what they did, cars that never made the street, experiments that went wrong in pre-production.

This really is a feast of good information to show the workings inside the manufacturer.
Daz-RSK

Post by Daz-RSK »

We are now a smidge away from 200 Capris attending.
Wideboy
Car(s): 1978 3.0 Ghia made to look like an "S"

Post by Wideboy »

1 nearer just signed up
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Daz-RSK wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 pm We are now a smidge away from 200 Capris attending.
Just signed up. (comment on Brooklands event thread also noted). Due to the distance from Exeter, I might consider staying overnight the night before. :drive: Looking forward to it and hoping the weather is kind and that I can make Brooklands as well!
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

I live in Devon so due to the distance, I'm considering travelling up the afternoon before this event.
There are a few cheap rooms available but I don't know the area at all and wondered if any "locals" amongst you could suggest the best hotel/guest house? Looking to be quite close to Dunton and somewhere safe (as can be) to park my Capri.
I've seen reasonable deals at Premier Inn Thurrock West, Ibis Thurrock M25 & Premier Inn Rainham. Thanks in advance.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Brooksy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm I live in Devon so due to the distance, I'm considering travelling up the afternoon before this event.
There are a few cheap rooms available but I don't know the area at all and wondered if any "locals" amongst you could suggest the best hotel/guest house? Looking to be quite close to Dunton and somewhere safe (as can be) to park my Capri.
I've seen reasonable deals at Premier Inn Thurrock West, Ibis Thurrock M25 & Premier Inn Rainham. Thanks in advance.
No don’t do Thurrock that’s not a good place to park a Capri . Steve fish lives in that neck of the woods he may be able to help . Let me think have a think .
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Jasonmarie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 pm
No don’t do Thurrock that’s not a good place to park a Capri . Steve fish lives in that neck of the woods he may be able to help . Let me think have a think .
OK cheers Jason.
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Daz-RSK wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:19 pm We now have as many as 20 of the ex SVE team coming and they will mingle with the Capri owners, help each one find another 20-30 horses (stuff that you don't find in the Haynes - stuff you only find under testing) and all that good stuff. Also, we will have some tales from them - what they did, cars that never made the street, experiments that went wrong in pre-production.

This really is a feast of good information to show the workings inside the manufacturer.
:cool: :woot:
Nige Image
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Ticket has just arrived
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Brooksy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm I live in Devon so due to the distance, I'm considering travelling up the afternoon before this event.
A few folks including myself stayed here the night before the Ford Warley event, very nice place & although no secured parking, cars were tucked away in big car park well away from the road

https://www.derougemontmanor.com/
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

A few folks including myself stayed here the night before the Ford Warley event, very nice place & although no secured parking, cars were tucked away in big car park well away from the road

https://www.derougemontmanor.com/
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, will have a look.
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Now staying with family in Kent the night before so all sorted. :)
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s good I did think around Kent would be better . :beer:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 am That’s good I did think around Kent would be better . :beer:
Yep, it's ideal Jason as only 26 miles from the venue.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Brooksy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 am
Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 am That’s good I did think around Kent would be better . :beer:
Yep, it's ideal Jason as only 26 miles from the venue.
I should be there on the 1st September so hope to meet up
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

I should be there on the 1st September so hope to meet up
[/quote]
:agree: will be good to meet up and see your lovely laser
Nige Image