50 Years of the Capri - Historic Brooklands Circuit & Museum - 8th September 2019

Post details here of any car related shows, meetings, gatherings etc that you want to share with other users.
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

50 Years of the Capri - Historic Brooklands Circuit & Museum - 8th September 2019

Post by 2litreScapri »

So, there is talk of 50th anniversary events over the past week, it is an ideal opportunity to announce the 50th anniversary event at Brooklands. This has been in the pipeline pretty much when the sun set on the 45th event, but it was best to get a lot of background stuff sorted before making announcements.

The date is set; Sunday 8th September 2019.

From mine & Calvin's perspective, there was a lot learnt from the 45th event that we can improve upon and there is plenty of scope for improvement. We can definitely make this event bigger & better than before, especially with the boom just in the last couple of years with social media. But it can't be done without you guys, so any suggestions that you may have we will welcome. The 45th was a great success with 218 Capris and over 1000 visitors. Can we make it more? Of course!! All types of models, original, concours, rat & scruffy, all types of engines, Crossflow, Pinto, 24V 2.9, V8, modified, any Capri welcome. Lots more to announce in the next year! I know some of you guys have been waiting to know if this was happening & now we can confirm it!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 50 Years of the Capri - Historic Brooklands Circuit & Museum - 8th September 2019

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

2litreScapri wrote:I know some of you guys have been waiting to know if this was happening & now we can confirm it!
Hi Kris,
That's the announcement I've been waiting to hear!
The 45th anniversary at Brooklands was the best organised show I've ever been to. You, Calvin and everyone else involved certainly did an excellent job and made it a memor able day.
It was a real treat to see 218 Capris on display at a fabulous location.
Count me in for the 50th anniversary event.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: 50 Years of the Capri - Historic Brooklands Circuit & Museum - 8th September 2019

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Kris,

This is absolutely brilliant news mate !!! I'll be there for sure :)

Thanks very much for putting us out of our misery so early. What a great date to look forward to in what is gonna be a truly remarkable year for the Capri :D

As Andrew has already said the 45th that you guys organised was simply outstanding with some truly wonderful memories. A tremendous day ! I have the framed photo of my Capri "arriving at Brooklands" proudly displayed on the lounge wall, and there is a "space" reserved for the 50th photo just above it...just not told the missus yet :lol:

Kris, Brooklands is such a perfect and fitting venue to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of our beloved Capri so I was praying that you chaps would be considering using this venue again. Nice one mate :applaud:

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Kris,

Great News. I'll be there again, so count me in too. As Andrew says, such an amazing day out for the 45th. Can't wait. I'll probably see you round and about, so I'll pass on any ideas I have, as n when. Can't wait, cheers for putting this together with Calvin again. All the very best,

John...
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

2litreScapri wrote:suggestions
Hillclimb hillclimb hillclimb hillclimb hillclimb hillclimb. Hillclimb.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

Want to. what would you pay for the hillclimb as enough interest will make it cheaper
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Hmmm, good question. Wouldn't pay a lot as it's something that's over very fast - unless you'd get multiple runs? I've never actually seen it done there so don't really know the ins and outs, all I know is that there is a track (if that's the right word?) for one!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

-JC- wrote: I've never actually seen it done there so don't really know the ins and outs, all I know is that there is a track (if that's the right word?) for one!
Hi mate,

Its actually called "Test hill" and was originally used to test the brakes coming down and the ability to climb steep hills. I was looking at it when I went there for the 45th. The top section which sounds a bit hairy to say the least, but I would be more than happy to watch some of you chaps flex your muscles a bit :lol: Heres a little link

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.p ... test-hill/

and a quick video :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XiiB3u6yJY

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

190 days to go! That's how long there is until this grand event! So much to do and so many other anniversary events to go to as well! So let's give you an update on the day.

As soon as you drive in you will be guided by our marshals with many other Capris of all models and styles. Our merchandise is available on the day. We will be drawing the raffle for the banking photos and everyone can come to view this. Test hill will be open to those registered and paid (see our website for full details on restrictions & cost) so watch the Capris go up a hill steeper than you think! We'll give everyone time for lunch and then awards will be presented. And, as a treat, Steve Saxty has spoken with myself & Calvin last week (thank you very much for that teleconference) will be providing the heritage 280 Capri and others and will give a talk about Capris. This and more will make this one of the best events to remember, turning 50 is a massive celebration so let's do it in style! We want you there as part of the Capri collective!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Cracking idea, and since it's only 5 miles from me it would be rude not to. Whether or not the car is on the road is a different matter...
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

Cosmicbike wrote:Cracking idea, and since it's only 5 miles from me it would be rude not to. Whether or not the car is on the road is a different matter...
If you're only 5 miles down the road, a push there will suffice, or trailer in! As long as it's there, you're part of the day!
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

As Kris says I'll be there and do some talk in whatever people want. I could do something along the lines of the talk I did at Dunton or maybe answer questions from readers, or whatever - I'm open to offers. The talk is here if you've not seen it from Dec -https://www.stevesaxty.com/dunton-meeting

I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone and I'm pleased that everyone looks forward to it - Calvin and Kris evidently did a great job last time. I'll bring the last 280 along - well I'll likely chicken out and have Ford ship it there as I'm far too lazy to clean or fix it on the M25.

My question is should I ask people to submit questions first, what would people want to ask - or just hear me drone on like I did at Dunton?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Steve you have got to drive the 280 there why not join us lot and come in with us lot on the forum , will be great to meet up with you and chat cars and Fords in the day .
Also might have to get a cheeky picture of you with my Capri
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Jasonmarie wrote:Steve you have got to drive the 280 there why not join us lot and come in with us lot on the forum , will be great to meet up with you and chat cars and Fords in the day .
Also might have to get a cheeky picture of you with my Capri

I'll certainly come and maybe I'll drive the 280 there. Unless it rains - in which case there is the huge chance it will 1) have to be washed, 2) the likelihood of me spinning it on the mini roundabout at Brooklands.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Under 5 months to go :D

Admission prices https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/whats- ... ford-capri

Is this what we have to pay to take our cars in for the day or is there a different fee, and assume we pay on the day?

Maybe a forum attendance list would be good, so that meeting times and places can be arranged between members, and so we know who's definate and who's weather dependant.

When possible a price list for the merchandise and order details/deadlines would be good too :cheers:
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

andyd wrote:Under 5 months to go :D

Admission prices https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/whats- ... ford-capri

Is this what we have to pay to take our cars in for the day or is there a different fee, and assume we pay on the day?

Maybe a forum attendance list would be good, so that meeting times and places can be arranged between members, and so we know who's definate and who's weather dependant.

When possible a price list for the merchandise and order details/deadlines would be good too :cheers:
Andy, this is what myself & the rest of Surrey Capri Club are sorting out. Prices are as per website, pay on the day, and someone will have to take charge of forum members attendance so we can put you guys together, which will be required in the next couple of months. Merchandise is to be released very soon, and a lot of the information & the special artwork logo can be found on our website www.surreycapriclub.co.uk

Any more questions just shout me!

Kris
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Thanks for the quick reply Kris :)
This pretty much covers all my questions http://www.surreycapriclub.co.uk/brooklands.html

I don't mind starting a seperate thread for attendance, if you let me know the deadline for names :cheers:

Andy
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sounds like your in charge then Mr Andy , I will be there with me dad if they are doing merchandise can you put my dad down for a Capri thong please :lol:
Looking forward to this show as it looks to be a full fun day :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

I'll be there and maybe the family too! :lowrider:
Nige Image
2litreScapri

Post by 2litreScapri »

149 Days to go! So let's get some more exciting news out!
So Steve has now confirmed that the very last 280, and will also be happy to sign any copies of his book. Surrey Capri Club is proud to have Steve on board, and hope to arrange more exciting stuff on the day.
Now, Steve's plugging his current book, and if anybody has been keeping up with updates, he is writing a second book. I have the first book now, and I can't believe how comprehensive it is. I have a lot of knowledge of Ford models, concepts & codenames, but this is filling in more gaps than I ever thought possible. So I'm not including the link again, but just go buy it. If you ever wanted to know Ford's history & key players, this is the book to have.

It's just another step towards making Brooklands one of the best events this year!