The Ace Cafe 2018

Use this forum to post up threads of pictures. e.g. Car Shows, Brochures, Meets etc. If you have a thread in another forum you would like moved here, please PM Admin.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

The Ace Cafe 2018

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well what a stunning day at The Ace Café !!! :) :) :) :) :)

Had arranged to meet John, Jason and his Dad, Tom, Steve, Jeff at South Mimms this morning so a six Capri convoy was on the cards. Ian Foster I know from from facebook also turned up in his 280 turbo technics !!...seven Capris now....then after a text from Jason saying that there was a 'surprise' waiting at South Mimms, on arrival I seen that Andrew had made the long journey across from Wales...wow !! Great surprise as he had kept this to himself so was really shocked to see him and well happy !!! Great you made the trip over to North London mate. Nice one :applaud:

Soooo, this made an eight Capri convoy including yours truly...SUPERB !! We certainly caused a bit of a stir on the A41 and North Circular Road :lol:

Anyway what a simply stunning start to the day !!!!!!!

We met Neil who had a bit of a journey himself from Bournemouth at The Ace a bit later along with Danny and Paul G too so it was a brilliant forum turnout indeed. Was a real pleasure to spend the day with you guys. Had some great chats and got some excellent advice along the way.

I just want to mention a couple of chaps if I may.

Thank you very much to Neil (sheff) who very kindly gave me a pair of gas boot struts he had and did not need as he knew I has been having problems with mine and needed some new ones. Very good of you indeed Neil and much appreciated. Cant wait to fit them !!!

Thank you also to Jason ( jasonmarie ) who very kindly donated a 2.8i boot floor he had found in his loft. He knew I needed one as I have a 7x15 spare wheel I cant fit as the standard boot floor does not have the extra height so thanks very much Jason...really do appreciate this fella. I can now fit the new spare then begin my little project ;) ;) ;) :)
I have some plans for my boot area that might cause a bit of a stir but hey you only live once :wave: :lol: ....'Project Transparent Boot' is underway !!! Watch this space :lol: :lol: :lol:

Today was as much about meeting the forum members as it was seeing the Capris so was really great to see you chaps,

Jason you and your Dad are great company mate. Was really pleased to finally meet your Dad. Hes a top bloke as are you too. Had a brilliant time chatting to you both.
Steve always a pleasure to see you mate. Your Special just gets better and better !!
Andrew, great surprise to see you turn up in your immaculate 2.8i fella. Was well chuffed you came ! Hope you got home ok mate. Let us know !!! Tom, was great to see you at your first meet with the forum. Your 1.6L is a beauty and you don't see many of them around these days. Was great chatting to you. Will be in contact ref the bumper caps !
Neil its always brilliant catching up with you mate and thanks for the advice you gave me ! Hope you had a good trip back to Bournemouth and look forward to meeting up again soon.
Jeff brilliant to see you too fella. If I cant make it have a great day next week at Battlesbridge !!
Danny it was great seeing your TWO Capris today...nice one mate. Those 205 tyres on your 7.5's look stunning on your Laser !!! And seeing your GL for the first time was a proper treat too. Lovely original condition....love it !!
Paul great to see you too fella. Hopefully get to see one of your Capris at the 50th next year mate. Thanks for a great chat and good luck with the house. Again hope to catch up with you soon.
Hmmm....someone else I cant remember....oh yes....JOHN :lol: :lol: :lol: Mate its always great to meet up !!! Your Special looks a stunning as ever and sounds superb with your sound system....WOW !!! Had Jason wanting more from his :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway as said it was really great to meet everyone today and all your Capris were looking superb !!!

Finally, Kris and Calvin always put on great shows so a massive thanks to The Surrey Capri Club !!!

So some pics from the day,

Starting with the forum convoy at South Mimms this morning
Image20180804_100826 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
From nearest first...Jason, John, Andrew, Tom, Steve and yours truly. Jeff was just behind

jeff
Image20180804_100721 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Another angle
Image20180804_100900 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Ian a chap I know on facebook turned up in his 280 turbo technics
Image20180804_102318 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_102304 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

a special mention for Andrew who drove from Wales sporting a Welsh Flag too and he seems to be having a spot of bother with something !! :lol:
Image20180804_101322 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Now onto The Ace and the Forum cars in more detail

First up is Steve's lovely 2.8i Special with his amazing paintwork now :)
Image20180804_150844 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150830 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Tom's super 1.6L...You don't see many of these
Image20180804_150742 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150758 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Neil's wonderful 2.8i
Image20180804_150322 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Andrew's simply stunning 2.8i...WOW !!
Image20180804_150238 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Jason's lovely Laser....this really is a credit to him...super capri indeed :)
Image20180804_150210 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Danny's Laser...with the 7.5's on 205 tyres now...looks the bollocks !!!!
Image20180804_143251 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Nice bit of tyre detailing
Image20180804_143258 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And Danny's other Capri...a GL in great totally original condition. Again you don't see many of these nowadays
Image20180804_143235 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_143241 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And last but by no means least I give you Johns amazing 2.8i Special. It always looks sooooooo stunning !!!
Image20180804_150157 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

The famous Goblins Garage Capri. First time I seen it and liked it but not to everyones taste of course :)
Image20180804_112041 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_112057 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

:o :o :o
Image20180804_124654 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And just a couple of others pics

Image20180804_112110 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150150 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150223 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150944 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20180804_150911 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So there you have it. I did not take a lot of my pics till late on so a lot had left but earlier on it was packed with Capri's so am sure that Andrew has got quite a few to add and please add more of the forum Capri's too Andrew as you take better pics than me fella !

Hope you enjoyed looking through them and sorry if I rambled on a bit at the start but as said its always great to meet up with the fine folk of this forum. Cant wait till the 50th at Brooklands next year....

All the best now

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: The Ace Cafe 2018

Post by andyd »

Nick, I was clean shaven when I started reading this :lol:

Nice turnout of Capris there, and as much as I prefer V6 versions, it's nice to see some lower spec models.....Oh and that puny Goblin :D

That's real commitment driving from West Wales Andrew :cheers: No excuse you can't get to Haynes next month :lol: Or are you there already for tomorrows meet :drama:

Glad you all had a good day and good weather!

Thanks again for the pics :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
Just got back from my 495 mile round trip to the Ace.
As Nick said, it was a brilliant day at the Ace café. It was great to meet up with all the forum people, I really enjoyed chatting to you all and looking at your amazing cars. They are all a credit to their owners. Hopefully catch up with you all again at Brooklands next year. As ever, Nick's photos are brilliant, and I agree with all of his comments (except the one about me taking better photos). For some reason though, Nick has missed a car out. Ladies and Gents, I give you the car of Mr. Fordoholic himself. This car just has to be seen to be believed, it's that amazing...

Under the bonnet. Cleaner than an operating theatre..... :D

Andrew.

PS. Great convoy....a real pleasure to drive with so many stunning Capris. :D

PPS. You got me real good with that photo at the services. What was I doing? :) :?
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Was great meeting each and everyone of you! Had an amazing day which went far too quickly! Great pics as always and hope you all got home safely!
Definitely looking forward to the brooklands 50th next year! We’ll have to meet and convoy down again. Had to be seen to be believed!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well I think all the words to a great day have been said , but myself and dad had a great time was nice to meet up with so many of you . Yes lovely surprise this morning to see Andrew there in the car park at south minns , loved Steve’s paintwork what a credit to him and had the pleasure to follow him part way home . Nick your Capri gets better everyday and was great to catch up with you mate and what every you do in the boot I think we will all love . I did have a soft spot for Toms Capri as it’s so how I remember a Capri I think John also had a soft spot for it as well . Yes John that hifi in the car I just could not belive it was on them speakers I think I will have to join you mate as I love my music and I did here somebody mention talk men radio station or was it talk about men in shorts can’t remeber ...........
With you all on seeing Dans capris a real credit for keeping two . Did not get to talk to peter that long but glad we said hello to each other .
I was also chatting with Dr Brooklands and he doing so many shows this year but hope he posts up his pictures next week of his German trip .
Was also nice to look in the rear view mirror of all the capris going down to the ace with a 2,8i exhaust and the 3.0s exhaust behind was just a sound to die for .
I know I have missed people of the list I was chatting with but I put it down to a very burnt face I have .

But yes thank you sorry Capri club for having us laser forum lot meet up with you at the Ace .

Thanks guys again for a great day and hope to soon meet up again .

I know our top photographer was there today so I will only post up loads of photos but have just one picture as we did try to find a fault on one Capri and after a long walk around we found this on a Capri .

Can you say who’s Capri it was ?

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Hi Nick and others

A fantastic day and some great photos here. Jason you are a brave, brave man with that picture, that's all i have to say!

It was fantastic meeting up with all of you, i have to admit being a little nervous with my mere 1600 and how it'd look against some of the cars you see up on here, but everyone was great, we didn't lose anyone on the convoy either. Once i have sorted out those pesky squeaky brakes I'll post up a thread in the members projects board.

Oh by the way I am now bright red from failing to wear suncream!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

My face is burnt as well Tom only found out when I got in the wife had put some suncream in my bag .
Also as I said your Capri was so how I remeber a Capri and loved the Blue . Also hope you can do some more shows next year mate .

I don’t think any one will guess it’s Nicks but it did take us allday to find something wrong as it’s stunning and shinning .

Was going to save this one as I noted Andrew finding a new cup holder on the Capri .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: but have just one picture as we did try to find a fault on one Capri and after a long walk around we found this on a Capri .

Can you say who’s Capri it was ?

:wave: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, guilty as charged ! John and Steve you can breath now as it was narrowed down to three Lacquer Red Capris !!! :lol:

Bleedin Hell Jason, you and your Dad don't mess about with your car inspections do you :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

There is a teeny drop of red lacquer paint that must have dripped onto my rear bumper a while back and is prob only about 2mm in size and Jason and his Dad only went and bleedin spotted it.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

You guys certainly don't need to go to specsavers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason, really glad you and your Dad had a great day mate. As said your company was really great fella...really enjoyed it and thanks once again for the boot floor. Re my boot 'project' thanks for the comforting words fella as I might need it when the originality police see what I have done. I might be banished from this forum :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best mate

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Here are a few photos from South Mimms.

Two likely looking lads and a terrific Laser...

Tom looking very happy to be taking his wonderful 1.6 L to it's first Capri meet...

Steve proudly showing off his incredible paintwork....

Nick's amazing car...

Nick and John discussing how John's car always looks so fantastic...

Jeff's gorgeous 3.0 S.....

The other side of the 280 TT...

I'll post some photos from the Ace tomorrow, if that is alright?

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It was a fantastic day and I too was so pleased to put faces to names of the few I haven't met before. All of you have cars you can be proud of and mine will look like the shitty poor relation in comparison!

A special mention should go to Andrew - it was absolutely great meeting you and well done and thanks on your being dedicated enough to make a 495 mile round trip to bring your exquisite car for us all to see. I can see why it won a gold medal at the National show.

Another mention should go to Francis Ellingworth (Laser) who's excellent white Laser he had driven down from Leicester and on the way it had clocked up 300,000 miles. You wouldn't know it to look at it.

I certainly look forward to seeing you all again in the not too distant future and hopefully I will turn up in something Capri shaped at that time.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Nick, I was clean shaven when I started reading this :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Andy !!! Glad you enjoyed the pics mate. Was a great turnout from the forum and some stunning Capris st The Ace !!!
andyd wrote:That's real commitment driving from West Wales Andrew :cheers: No excuse you can't get to Haynes next month :lol: Or are you there already for tomorrows meet :drama:
:agree: :agree: :agree: Was amazed to see him at South Mimms Andy. Thought I was seeing things until I shook his hand and he was real !! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:A special mention should go to Andrew - it was absolutely great meeting you
Thanks Paul,
It was brilliant to meet you at last and have a great chat with you. I look forward to seeing you again at Brooklands next year. :D

As you say, Francis' Laser is in remarkable condition and it is clear that it is cherished by an enthusiastic owner.

Of course, a big thanks go out to Kris, Calvin and the others at the Surrey Capri Club, who organise this brilliant event.

Kris' amazing S...

Sadly, Calvin couldn't take his Capri to the Ace due to a few small issues (I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning that).

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Just got back from my 495 mile round trip to the Ace
Glad you got home ok Andrew. I heard the Severn Bridge was shut down earlier due to staff shortage ???
Anyway big :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: for making the long journey. Was great to see you :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Ladies and Gents, I give you the car of Mr. Fordoholic himself. This car just has to be seen to be believed, it's that amazing..
Wow ! Thanks very much for those really kind words mate. It means alot and makes all the hard work and expense worth it when I hear such remarks. Much appreciated fella !
Andrew 2.8i wrote:PPS. You got me real good with that photo at the services. What was I doing? :) :?
Only you can answer this mate :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best fella
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

I hate my picture being taken but that’s a good one! Thanks Andrew. Great to meet you as well!
Had a few comments about my paintwork yesterday but it still doesn’t look as good as nicks and johns! My opinion anyway! :xd:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Had a great day yesterday... Nice to see Andrew at the the Ace for the first time and respect to him for travelling so far! It was also nice to see so many old and new faces from the forum and getting a chance to look over their splendid Capri's :D

Here's a few photo's that my son took to add to the great photo's Nick and Andrew have posted of the day.

All the best
Neil
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stish704 wrote:Had a few comments about my paintwork yesterday but it still doesn’t look as good as nicks and johns! My opinion anyway! :xd:
Steve thanks for your kind words but I think Mario might have something to say about this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fella we are far too critical of our own cars so sometimes need a 'third party' :wave: to put our minds at rest and trust me Steve your Capri looks bleedin amazing now...spot on !!! The paintwork resto Mario did on yours is mind boggling great ! As I said to you yesterday its hard to believe its the same paintwork you were having so much trouble with !!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fantastic pictures gents. Looked a great day out at the ACE. That convoy in from the services must have looked spectacular with all those great looking Capris travelling together. Must have made quite an entrance at the ACE.
Thanks for posting up all these pictures, it's great being part of this forum & seeing all these cars to aspire to.
Glad you had a great day :cheers:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Fantastic pictures gents. Looked a great day out at the ACE. That convoy in from the services must have looked spectacular with all those great looking Capris travelling together. Must have made quite an entrance at the ACE.
Thanks for posting up all these pictures, it's great being part of this forum & seeing all these cars to aspire to.
Glad you had a great day :cheers:
Hi Rob

If I may speak for everyone else yep that 8 capri convoy was something special indeed. Certainly caused quite a stir when at one stage we were all back to back. John did a grand job of keeping us together through the many roundabouts and traffic lights. I had the honour of having Andrew in my rear view mirror :D

Rob it really was a great day spent in great company. The forum was deffo very well represented indeed !! A great variety of Capri's between us too and had great chats and laughs with the forum members and others. Superb breakfast too....all paid for by Jason....on his Dads card :lol: :lol:

Rob surely next year being the 50th it will be great to see you at one of the many events taking place. Hope you can make Brooklands. This will be amazing !!!! And be great to be able to have a good chat with you :)

All the best Rob

Nick
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

As has already been said had a Great day yesterday except for the Sun Burn, hit hard by this does not cover it!!! Beetroot I think comes close!!!
What a Great day though, great job by Kris & Calvin as usual, special thanks also must go out to Jason for the Breakfast, thanks Jason!!! Great (As has been said, but well worth mentioning again) to see Andrew over the Smoke for a visit also, what a drive that must have been and kind-a embarrasses me for not doing the Haynes Breakfast meet!!! Must get my act together. Great to meet Steve & Tom for the first time and everyone else, all too many to mention by name, sorry, but in the end it was Nick, Andrew, Paul & myself who left last, just to make sure I fully caught the sun!!!!! Anyhow, I did not take any photos this time round, but I did catch Young Nick's back end on my Dash Cam as we left, so just for Nick, please see below???

Imagevlc-record-2018-08-05-13h56m58s-2018_0804_150557_438.MOV- by John Taylor, on Flickr

Yes, that is Andrew leaving just before Nick. Many thanks to all who made this a Great Day out, now back to the bath full of cold water for a nap!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers All,

John...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi John,
What a brilliant video, and doesn't Nick's car look absolutely amazing?
sheff wrote:Had a great day yesterday... Nice to see Andrew at the the Ace
Thanks Neil, it was great to catch up with you and see in person all the amazing work that you've done to your stunning car.
Stish704 wrote:Had a few comments about my paintwork yesterday
Steve, great to meet you as well. I'm not surprised that everyone was complimenting your gorgeous car. I was looking forward to seeing it in person after seeing the photos of it beforehand. I was not disappointed!

Andrew.