Brooklands Memorial Event 21/5/17

Use this forum to post up threads of pictures. e.g. Car Shows, Brochures, Meets etc. If you have a thread in another forum you would like moved here, please PM Admin.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Brooklands Memorial Event 21/5/17

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Had an absolutely lovely day at the famous Brooklands today.

The day was very special as Jaye (JayeJulia) and family were showing 'Cherry', a stunning 2.8i, for the first time since being completely restored in memory of her brother Cliff who had owned Cherry and had plans for restoring Cherry himself before falling very ill and sadly passing away. The family decided to keep Cherry and undertake the long journey themselves. The restoration took 2yrs and the result is a stunning 2.8i...

'Cherry'
Image20170521_120333 by nicholas bowler, on Flickrs

Image20170521_100447 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I had other photos but too many people in pic to do it justice so hope one of the other guys has better pics than mine but I am sure you can see what a stunner it is...and what a lovely colour too :wave:

It really was a pleasure to be part of this event and what an amazing turnout of Capris from both this great forum and from The Surrey Capri Club. So some pics are required to show you how great it was. I hope you enjoy...

First up I did a bit of a detour down the A3 to meet up with Neil, Mark, Danny and Calvin (Surrey Capri Club) at a BP Garage just the other side of the Hindhead Tunnel. We then all convoyed back through the tunnel together which was bleedin amazing :drive: :woot:

Heres us meeting up...

From closest...Neils 2.8i, My 2.0 Laser, Dannys 1.6 Laser, Marks 280 Brooklands
Image20170521_065810 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Calvin's wonderful Cabaret II. Shame that Polo was parked there otherwise all 5 of us would have been in a perfect line
Image20170521_065835 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

After the 'tunnel run' Calvin lead the 5 of us onto the nest meeting point at a golg club 5mins fron Brooklands. We were meeting Kris and his Surrey Capri Club members. I had no idea how many were turning up so when we turned into the road I was gobsmacked....look at all these Capris !!!
Image20170521_074744 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

When we all set off it was amazing !!! What a convoy :D

On arrival at Brooklands which was actually hosting a Classic Breakfast Meet we had a reserved parking area organised by Jaye so we could all park up together. How cool is this...
Image20170521_081220 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Does not get much better than this...
Image20170521_115942 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_115950 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Now the individual shots starting with Neils lovely 2.8i.
Image20170521_120001 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Marks 280
Image20170521_120009 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Dannys 1.6 Laser with 'those wheels' and 'that exhaust' :D
Image20170521_120024 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

You've already seen Calvin's Cabaret ealier...this is what lurks beneath...
Image20170521_122116 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_122129 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Now the rest of the Capri's. Sorry Noel I took these solo pics after you had left as we were up on Teat Hill beforehand. I hope someone else has a pic of your 2.8i mate.

Image20170521_120016 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120031 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120044 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120128 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120136 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120153 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120201 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120211 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120245 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_120323 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And back where we started and what the day was all about...'Cherry'
Image20170521_120333 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Everyone else had gone except for me, Neil, Mark and Danny so time for a quick 'forum shot' or two...

Image20170521_124058 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Sorry Neil I was at the wrong angle to get yours in from this side but previous one has you pride of place
Image20170521_124129 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_124134 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Calvin was the brave one of us to do a couple of runs up Brooklands Test Hill...a remarkably steep hill that this pic does no justice how dam steep it was. Well done Calvin...you did the Capris proud fella...
Image20170521_114836 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170521_114838 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So guys that's it. Usually I would go on to add other pics of classics but for me today was all about the Capri's :D

Hopefully someone else might post up a few. So as said it really great to see Neil, Mark and Danny again.

Mark made a very impressive entrance indeed....steam was gushing from what seemed like every angle of his 280 !! Wow ! Talk about stealing the limelight :lol: It was only a bleeding tiny pin prick hole in one of his coolant hoses off expansion tank but Jesus what a show. Amazing how much steam lets off from the tiniest of holes :lol: Funny thing was (or not for Mark at the time) was his 280 actually filled up with steam as he was approaching the entrance and the girl was still trying to get him to pay his entrance ticket before he was allowed in !! A few choice words telling her he WAS not stopping and would return to pay and he was parked up with a crowd of Capri owners gathering around. But as said it was nothing really, just a tiny hole that needed repairing for his journey home. And the true professional he is he did a very tidy repair indeed there and then and it was sorted for the trip home :wave:

It was also great to meet a couple of forum members I had not met before. I met Noel and his family and seen his great 2.8i. YThanks for showing me your Capri mate and good luck with your plans for it. Its already a lovely 2.8I but am sure you will make it even better. Look forward to seeing it again mate, and you too.

I also met PaulG from this forum. Paul it was a pleasure to meet you mate and have a brilliant chat. Hope to see you again some time mate and be great to see your Capri too. Keep up the brilliant work you are doing and as said we must meet up again. I really enjoyed our chat :D

Kris its always great to see you fella. Shame your stunning 2.0S did not make it but as I said to you the people were the important thing so great to see you. I know I will be seeing you again anyway so look forward to it.

So that's it folks. A brilliant day had meeting some great people and their Capris.

Hope you enjoyed...

All the best

Nick

PS Sorry I could not resist this 'non capri' pic...
Image20170521_111014 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Brooklands Memorial Event 21/5/17

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hi Nick, what a great day out that looked. That Capri Convoy must have been a sight & great to be a part of. 'Cherry' & all your Capri's looked fantastic, it was a very fitting tribute to its late owner in a great historic motoring setting. Thanks for sharing, you've captured the event well :cheers:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Hi Nick, what a great day out that looked. That Capri Convoy must have been a sight & great to be a part of. 'Cherry' & all your Capri's looked fantastic, it was a very fitting tribute to its late owner in a great historic motoring setting. Thanks for sharing, you've captured the event well :cheers:
:agree: with that...... Another :cheers: to Cherry :applaud:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It was indeed a good day and I'm sorry that I had to leave so early, but needs must when you've got a 92 year old mum to look after. She hadn't done herself any breakfast or taken her pills so it was as well that I got home when I did.

Anyway, it was a nice day with nice cars and meeting more people and putting a face to a name was brilliant for me. Nick, it was a real pleasure meeting you and seeing your exquisite Laser. It sets a standard that my heap will never reach and is a real credit to you - your attention to detail is incredible and you're a top bloke into the bargain. Hope to meet up again soon.

Danny, same for you. It pleases me to see younger people like you and Chris with the blue Laser taking an interest in these cars as opposed to it just being an older man's hobby. It's silly that you went to the same school as me (albeit a long time after me!), you work 5 minutes away from where I live and yet we hadn't met. As with Nick, it was a real pleasure meeting you and I'll PM you my contact details so you can pop in for a coffee and a chat anytime.

One thing that did come out of today is that I'm motivated to get on with my Laser and I've set a target of getting it done for the Ace Cafe meet. I've only now got 3 plates to weld on and then prepare the right hand side for paint, diff cover and gasket, bleed the brakes, paint the bonnet and front panel and put it all back together. Should be achievable even at the tardy speed that i work at! If I don't do it I need a kick up the arse from everyone.

Paul.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Terrific photos, thanks for posting them.
It looks like you all had a fantastic day out. All the Capris are absolutely awesome, the Surrey club and the forum can certainly turn out some amazing cars! Cherry is certainly a fitting tribute to Cliff, it looks like a very high standard of restoration.

Andrew.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Some lovely photos Nick.
It was great to meet you and have a good ogle at your car.
I got to chat to a few people, not sure anyone else from forum, but nevertheless a really great morning out and good to get a Capri park up and learn of the moving story of Cherry.

Shame I missed your photography but no one wants to see my scruffy underbonnet anyway!! He he!

Had to shoot off by 12 but managed to watch a few hill climbs first.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Great pics as always! Looks like a great day was had. I didn't hear about this one otherwise I would have gone to! Maybe next year?
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Great photo's Nick...... Had a lovely day at Brookland's yesterday, can't wait for the Capri 50th Anniversary that the Surrey club will be arranging in 2 years :D
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Just realized I have a video clip of the Cabaret doing the test hill. Its the only one my crummy phone captured properly!
I will attempt to link to it here, yeah?

Loved the slot-mags by he way.