old capri pics from brighton

Use this forum to post up threads of pictures. e.g. Car Shows, Brochures, Meets etc. If you have a thread in another forum you would like moved here, please PM Admin.
daisyduke
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 mark III Laser running 115bhp

old capri pics from brighton

Post by daisyduke »

had a funny old weekend in brighton, stayed at a mates house whose housemates mate used to work for telegraph picture desk and had bags and bags of photos he'd given this guy as they were surplus, all the images had been used in the publication at some point, some new some dating way back - weird thing was first bag he showed us had car images, i was like "ZING" and of course searched for ford straight away, found a load of capri pics which he let me keep - what a ledgend! so i'll sort out some scans and get em up!

heres a photo i took of a photo of this silly mustang - its quite farcical really.

and the back of it
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: old capri pics from brighton

Post by -JC- »

"Experimental Mustang III based on new Ford Fiesta" - what the fuck were they smoking when they came up with that "idea"!?!?! The late 70s to late 80s mustangs were crap anyway, but not as bad as that would have been!

edit: I'm actually so shocked I keep having to check the pictures to see if I've missed something, or it's an April Fool or I'm dreaming lol.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
daisyduke
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 mark III Laser running 115bhp

Post by daisyduke »

yeah tell me about it!! what a load of shyte, those 80's/90's mustangs make me angry, you only recognize them as a mustang rahter than a sierra or something from the pony badge- stupid stupid embarrasing car!!
nalaeroom
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i Janspeed Turbo (Summertime only for 25 years)
Rover 800 2 door coupe 2.0 turbo (Daily Drive)

Post by nalaeroom »

Triumph Stag wheels ??

Alan

-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

daisyduke wrote:yeah tell me about it!! what a load of shyte, those 80's/90's mustangs make me angry, you only recognize them as a mustang rahter than a sierra or something from the pony badge- stupid stupid embarrasing car!!
Yeah definetly, I can't figure out how it held it's image as a classic so strongly when there were years, decades even of rubbish ones. Although I do like the new ones (2005+ i think?) and may have to get one when they become cheap enough.

They really do look like stag wheels, in fact the whole thing looks like they've raided the parts bins of various other cars - the grille looks like mk1 capri, and the lights mk2 capri maybe? The rear quarterlight looks to have been ripped off from some other american car (an 80s caddy or something?) and the bumper looks familiar too. And whats up with the camber on the rear wheel? looks like it's limping lol.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

I think that was the start of the era where ford were trying to produce cars globally from only a few chassis. The sierra/taurus was supposed to be a worldwide car, but it kinda failed in that respect.

Ford obviously thought of trying it with the fiesta, as I think they are going to again. The fusion (fiesta base) has been available in the US and India as a weird saloon variant for some years, and no doubt they will want to expand with the new model.

Don't forget, the Puma was Fiesta based, and that wasn't so bad? Especially not the racing version.

Rich