Mk 3 Capri 5.0s

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
whooligan
Car(s): Mk 1 GT V6 (SOLD)
Mk 1 Perana Replica Race Car (SOLD)
Mk 3 (1.3) building into 2.0 Zetec
Mk 3 2.0s

Mk 3 Capri 5.0s

Post by whooligan »

After owning many Mk 1 Capris over the years, I've finally bought myself a Mk 3 Capri.....Tell a lie, I've owned an ongoing MK 3 project since 2005 but that's now locked away in storage in Australia.

Picking up on the weekend, I've just swapped a Mk 1 for a (nearly completed) Mk 3 V8 project.

It started life as a 2.0s but a previous owner had shoe-horned a 5.0lt V8 (302 Windsor) under the bonnet.

Unfortunately, the original builder of the car went a bit too custom with it and most of the interior had to be binned due to bad taste.
The current owner had almost returned it to original spec, however his preference for a Mk 1 has waned his interest....This is where I stepped in.

I've owned my current Mk 1 for 18 years and have done just about all I've ever wanted to do to it. It still needs a bit of cosmetic work so rather than sell it on cheap, I thought I'd swap it for something a bit different...Hence the Mk3.

I've had a bit of experience with V8 Capris (having owned 2 before.) The last one I had to sell after leaving Australia in 2018, so the chance to own another one was worth the 2 hour trip to go and check it out. No great surprises, all the hard work has been done so I thought it was a project worth taking on. With a little bit of paintwork and a much needed interior swap, I'll more than likely sell it on so I can import my other Mk 3 project over from Australia.

Stay tuned for pics next week.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Mk 3 Capri 5.0s

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Sounds an interesting car, looking forward to seeing the pictures.
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/H_mGTlmYAB4[/YouTube]

Intro from my you tube channel

Spent yesterday giving the car a good clean and blacking out the coloucoded headlight surrounds. They has been painted red to match the car but I prefer the look of the earlier cars in black.

Fuel and temperature gauges are a bit dodgy so I'm looking at fitting custom gauges within the factory dash fascia. Wiring is something I have avoided learning in the past so perhaps now is the time to start.

Stay tuned.
image.jpeg
Gratuitous engine bay shot
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

Current condition
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Like what you are doing with this a lot, ie mental V8 and appropriate mods but otherwise quite standard styling. Good idea.

Note that temperature and fuel gauges are only usually dodgy if the voltage regulator plays up in behind the dash. Modern replacement available, might save hacking things around for custom dials. Just a thought.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I would prefer a standard looking car with the V8 and appropriate mods.

I think the Goblin Works Capri gets so much abuse because of the way it looks rather than the 5.0 Coyote under the bonnet.
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

Yes, the styling put me off the car when it was originally advertised last year on ebay. It had a shocking interior and mk2 bumpers.

Stuart, the previous owner deserves credit for returning it closer to standard looking. I'll be going further in that direction.

The engine is quite mild compared to what I am used to coming from Australia where it is not uncommon to see (mk1 Capris) with big blocks, pumping out 1000+bhp.

I'd estimate this V8 to have not much more than 220-250bhp. I'll be getting it dynoed later in the year once I've sorted out the cosmetics. Started with the headlight surrounds yesterday and thats already made an improvement.
Wideboy
Car(s): 1978 3.0 Ghia made to look like an "S"

Post by Wideboy »

This car appeared in my watch list throughout lockdown..I had one voice in 1 ear saying "You want a V8 capri Go see it and make an offer" and the voice in the other ear saying "You don't drive the capri enough that you have got and you need this like you need another hole in the head."

It was pretty horrific when Stuart bought it last year.
http://classiccars.brightwells.com/view ... p?id=10951

Good to see someone on here sealed the deal and will i follow the clean up/resto with interest to see how it turns out.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Wideboy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm This car appeared in my watch list throughout lockdown..I had one voice in 1 ear saying "You want a V8 capri Go see it and make an offer" and the voice in the other ear saying "You don't drive the capri enough that you have got and you need this like you need another hole in the head."

Good to see someone on here sealed the deal and will i follow the clean up/resto with interest to see how it turns out.
That car was sold in Devon last year or so. Didn't like the look I prefer standard looking as possible but with the V8 :cool:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

whooligan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:50 pm After owning many Mk 1 Capris over the years, I've finally bought myself a Mk 3 Capri.....Tell a lie, I've owned an ongoing MK 3 project since 2005 but that's now locked away in storage in Australia.

Picking up on the weekend, I've just swapped a Mk 1 for a (nearly completed) Mk 3 V8 project.

It started life as a 2.0s but a previous owner had shoe-horned a 5.0lt V8 (302 Windsor) under the bonnet.

Unfortunately, the original builder of the car went a bit too custom with it and most of the interior had to be binned due to bad taste.
The current owner had almost returned it to original spec, however his preference for a Mk 1 has waned his interest....This is where I stepped in.

I've owned my current Mk 1 for 18 years and have done just about all I've ever wanted to do to it. It still needs a bit of cosmetic work so rather than sell it on cheap, I thought I'd swap it for something a bit different...Hence the Mk3.

I've had a bit of experience with V8 Capris (having owned 2 before.) The last one I had to sell after leaving Australia in 2018, so the chance to own another one was worth the 2 hour trip to go and check it out. No great surprises, all the hard work has been done so I thought it was a project worth taking on. With a little bit of paintwork and a much needed interior swap, I'll more than likely sell it on so I can import my other Mk 3 project over from Australia.

Stay tuned for pics next week.
Still got the side pipes have you?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

No, the side pipes were removed by the previous owner....thankfully.
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

Wideboy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm This car appeared in my watch list throughout lockdown..I had one voice in 1 ear saying "You want a V8 capri Go see it and make an offer" and the voice in the other ear saying "You don't drive the capri enough that you have got and you need this like you need another hole in the head."

Yes, I'm a big fan of the windsor after a mate took me out in his Windsor Capri years ago in Australia. I much prefer the mk 3 shape despite owning many Mk 1s but I wouldn't say no to a genuine Perana.

This car will get driven weekly (weather permitting) I'm hoping to return it to as close to standard as possible long term. Was thinking of doing a quick flip but I'm liking the car more each day.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

whooligan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 am No, the side pipes were removed by the previous owner....thankfully.
Damn I was thinking about a use for them. Wouldnt have mounted them as low as that chap though, that car must have been a pig over the speed bumps.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:05 am
whooligan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 am No, the side pipes were removed by the previous owner....thankfully.
Damn I was thinking about a use for them. Wouldnt have mounted them as low as that chap though, that car must have been a pig over the speed bumps.
I was thinking the same thing - they look pretty sweet!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Ptgladstone
Car(s): Capri supercharged 24v (project)

Post by Ptgladstone »

This is the one that was on eBay for a donkeys age at least someone will finish it now
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

I was waiting until it reach a decent level of completion before making an offer (to swap). I didn't want to do any structural stuff, rust or major repairs. Fortunately this was all done... And all the custom rubbish was gone.
I can enjoy it and do the final motor tweeks and have it painted properly in a few years when I've got my home renovations out the way.
Ptgladstone
Car(s): Capri supercharged 24v (project)

Post by Ptgladstone »

Is this now back up for sale?
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

Yes, its almost finished.
Just waiting on the panel beater to find time to paint the bonnet and tailgate and sort out a bit of paintwork around the rear quarter.
I'll probably wait unit I get a serious buyer before painting it as my garage is kinda small and i can't risk accidental knocks on fresh paint.
I was going to fit a new headlining which meant removing the windscreen. That may happen if its still here over winter but I'd rather moving it on and get onto the next project.
Last edited by whooligan on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

As it looks currently.
May be swapping the JBW Minilites for 15 inch RS 4 spokes in the next few weeks
VerySmall_Current.jpg
whooligan
Mk 3 2.0s

Post by whooligan »

Well, the Capri was almost ready to go in for paint when I had an electrical issue that prevented it from starting.....After almost a month of searching I tracked down the issue to a bad earth on a dodgy kill switch one of the previous owners tried to wire up. Spend a good few hours cleaning up all the loose ends on the engine bad wiring loom and now everything is working fine, again.

Sadly, now that we are going into Lockdown again, it looks as though the car wont get painted until sometime next year. The more I work on the car, the more I'm reluctant to part with it. That V8 roar is so addictive.....just wish it wasn't so thirst, I would drive it more. :beer: