Dans Capri II project.

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Danthecapriman
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Re: Dans Capri II project.

Post by Danthecapriman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Rear bumper first, mainly because it’s the easiest!
This pretty much went straight on with no problems. I’ve fitted it with new nuts and washers, and to save future grief I’ve greased the threads and nuts afterwards to prevent them rusting and seizing. Something I’m doing pretty much religiously on this car!
28A0B002-DB06-43B0-9562-FA60CD941FE8.jpeg
6B46113A-ECCB-4CD2-9A1C-31BEDD930710.jpeg
627BC8DC-5087-492C-AE0F-E08E0C296B2E.jpeg
1598AD54-A9C9-44C9-97C9-1CF4C122B63F.jpeg
9E40AE58-6324-44DF-8DD2-8A2D4950D4A7.jpeg
Then after that I decided I’d fill the cooling system up with new antifreeze ready for the first fire up of the engine which isn’t far off now! No leaks. So far...

Danthecapriman
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Re: Dans Capri II project.

Post by Danthecapriman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Now the front.
This was a bit of a pig to fit! I think it was because I’d picked a real mixture of different parts from different cars to do it with, trying to select the bits in the best condition. Obviously these all came from three different cars originally so might have been slightly different in shape or maybe they’d gotten slightly bent etc in their long lives! Got there in the end but it took some serious effort getting everything to fit and lien up.
C16B4371-43CD-45F9-9FEB-C2E890B11C7A.jpeg
3A292BC7-8443-46CB-BE8F-251A7D818DA9.jpeg
C4D3AA41-06C7-43ED-8576-422CCB2B96FD.jpeg
3BF779DA-F56E-4657-998A-21C9332547D3.jpeg
Looks brilliant in my opinion! Pretty much finishes off the front and rear ends.

Danthecapriman
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Re: Dans Capri II project.

Post by Danthecapriman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Finally for now, the exhaust.

I’m still not 100% sure what I’m going to do with this longer term, but for now at least I’m reusing what I’ve already got.
This was a non genuine mild steel replacement system that was fitted some years ago before all this restoration work started. It fits fine and it’s still solid and usable. There is a bit of surface rust on it in places though so to make it look a bit better I’ve got a grinder with wire wheel and gone to town on it to clean it up a bit. Then afterwards I’ve painted it with some silver heat proof paint (intended for barbecues and stoves!) which should see it look a bit more presentable. It’s not a long term solution, as, being mild steel it’s going to start rusting again sooner or later but for the time being it’ll do the job. Plus, it means I can run the engine without gassing myself!
AC223B1C-6EAF-46DF-BF91-571802F27BAB.jpeg

Post Reply