A small repair...

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

A small repair...

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

Well I guess it’s that time to let you know what the work was I had done, since the proverbial cat got out of the bag… :xd: :xd: :xd: Back in Feb to the Cappa as promised.

Well as some of you who know me know, I had a blight on the FNS wing, down towards the front which was really pissing me off (that is the edited version). The paint kept going that nasty rusty water mark colour which I kept polishing away,

ImageRust.... Ekkk!!! by jon taylor, on Flickr

till one day I had had enough of it and decided to have a crack at it. So I carefully took to it with some very fine emery paper, well, later that day I had chased this out to a big hole right through the wing and out again under the bonnet… Needless to say horrified did not cover this…. So I filled both holes in with a tub of filler and a touch up paint stick, knowing I would have to have this addressed very soon before it became terminal.

My attempt...
Image20180505_202449 by jon taylor, on Flickr

Feb came and MOT time with Phil up at Capri Care. He’s been looking after all the big jobs for me for a few years now as I’m not the right shape any more for getting under the car. I also get a full service done, Valves, Fluids, and Brakes etc. But this year it was time to have the wing and a few other jobs done aswell. He undersealed the Cappa last year so all is good down there, but it was time for a new Tank and Sender, I had had the old one repaired some years ago, but that smell of petrol was coming back everytime I opened the boot, so Phil got these fitted for me (as per Nicks photos from Walton Bridge),Phil then did all the usual required works, then as per my request, he hit the wing with an Angle Grinder and cut out that rot, I couldn’t bear to think what was going on (or ask for photos), but knew full well how good Phil is. So a couple of weeks later I got the call it was all done. So here are the after pics.
Image20190222_160922-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

Image20190222_160931-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

And this is what came out!!! Just about in the correct possition!!!!
Image20190222_163004-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

Image20190222_162953-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

And finally, the rot....
Image20190222_163024-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

Once all done, I asked Phil if he could get a mop over the car, which he did and re-blackend all the black and what a cracking job!!!! Blown away with this result is not enough to say how happy I am with this result!!!! Amazing!!!!
Image20190222_163434-min by jon taylor, on Flickr

Well, thats the journey back to fitness this year. Fingers crossed its a lot longer before this needs any more work like this!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Happy motoring all, I hope to see you about at some of the celebrations this Year, cheers,

John...

P.S. I know this isn't all that to some of the amazing re-builds being done out there, (Danny does spring to mind currently!!!) but just worth a mention I though as I had been asked.... Cheers all....
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: A small repair...

Post by D366Y »

Looks great John - shiny as heck (as always!)

I bet you'll be glad knowing it's been cut out, will set your mind at ease for the future for sure.

Also I hope if you're referring to me about 'amazing rebuilds' you don't have too high of an expectation! :shock:

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hey John, you already know what I think of the work you had done as I was lucky to see it at Walton Bridge. I knew it was gonna look supeb just by how happy you were telling me but when I seen it for myself its bleedin outstanding what Phil did. And the colour match is simply amazing !!! Am so made up for you fella as know how worried (understatement :lol: ) you were. To top it off that mop has transformed your paintwork as well. Mirror finish !!!! Love the fuel tank too so what a great few jobs you have had done which has only made your already stunning capri even more...well...STUNNING !!

Nice one John :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Amazing result and I would have never realised it was that much . As you know John I have like the clear coat has been caught when painted and this has got to be sorted on mine . Nice to see a perfect match on the work that has been done .
Yes as dan said your Capri really shines now and hope to catch up with you mate soon :beer:

Ps I wonder who let the cat out the bag :whistle:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Nice one John, car looks great :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi John,
Amazing work there by Phil at Capri Care. You definitely did the right thing getting the work done before it got any worse, and the end result is absolutely stunning. Awesome!

I hope to cast a beady eye around your car in person later on in the year.... :D

Cheers,
Andrew.