New purchase 2.0 laser & new member.

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

New purchase 2.0 laser & new member.

Post by Brooksy »

Hi

Well I've had my Capri about 2 weeks now and I'm loving it. Driving it makes me smile and to me, it seems so involving after driving soulless modern euro boxes.

So far, It's had a good wash and polish and been cleaned thoroughly inside.

I've managed to get the dash lights working (multi plug was out at the back so it was an easy fix).

Windscreen washers are also now working (another easy fix).

Replaced tail light and indicator bulbs.

The exhaust clamp on the down pipe to mid section has been tightened so no more leaks!

Reinstated the original leather covered 3 spoke steering wheel that came as a spare with the car. (The previous owner had put on a different one as the leather is a little discoloured on the original one (other than that it's in vgc). I'll try a leather dye/resto kit and see if that sorts it.

Today, I've replaced the nearside inner headlamp as a stray stone from another vehicle smashed the glass. (purchased one off a well known auction site for £5 plus postage. Bargain I thought).

On a less positive note, I've just spotted the dreaded rust bubble at the base of the windscreen, by the rubber and another one close by on the scuttle. Does anyone know how best to access these areas from inside or underneath? I want to try and stop the rust, if I can!

Hope all of your projects are going well and thanks for reading.

Last edited by Brooksy on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nige Image
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: New purchase 2.0 laser & new member.

Post by Peter-S »

Brooksy wrote: On a less positive note, I've just spotted the dreaded rust bubble at the base of the windscreen, by the rubber and another one close by on the scuttle. Does anyone know how best to access these areas from inside or underneath? I want to try and stop the rust, if I can!
Nice looking car but I'm afraid scuttle rust can be a pain. There's no access from beneath :(
Have a look at this old thread for some pictures of how it all fits together

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33716
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Peter-S wrote:
Brooksy wrote: On a less positive note, I've just spotted the dreaded rust bubble at the base of the windscreen, by the rubber and another one close by on the scuttle. Does anyone know how best to access these areas from inside or underneath? I want to try and stop the rust, if I can!
Nice looking car but I'm afraid scuttle rust can be a pain. There's no access from beneath :(
Have a look at this old thread for some pictures of how it all fits together

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33716
OK thanks for the response and link Peter. Will take a look.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Glad your getting all the bits sorted yes as soon as I see where the rust is I thought all that’s a pain in the what not .
But hay you could try stopping it from going on anymore and when the time comes get it sorted .
I have what looks like clear coat run on my left hand wing it’s been fine all the time I have had it but know I will need to get it sorted one day .

Enjoy the car as it’s great to drive and yes we all have that great big grin . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Hi Jason

Thanks for your supporting words.

My wife and I went out for a short drive this morning as the weather was lovely. A chance to enjoy the Capri!

I then bought some kurust and have been busy today putting it on the small areas under the windscreen rubber, by the scuttle and a few other places. Nothing serious thankfully.

:drive: :cheers:
Jasonmarie wrote:Glad your getting all the bits sorted yes as soon as I see where the rust is I thought all that’s a pain in the what not .
But hay you could try stopping it from going on anymore and when the time comes get it sorted .
I have what looks like clear coat run on my left hand wing it’s been fine all the time I have had it but know I will need to get it sorted one day .

Enjoy the car as it’s great to drive and yes we all have that great big grin . :beer:
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes if you can stop the rust in it’s tracks then you know it will not get any worse , The rust battle is one we all have to fight .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It's a good idea to stop the rust in it's tracks, but your efforts will only be successful if you completely treat the affected area. That will mean sanding back the paint until you can see good metal surrounding the rust. Unfortunately, you'll probably find that there is more going on under the surface of the paint than you would suspect from a small area of bubbling. One of those things that must be fixed though, as the rust won't cure itself if you leave it alone!
:goodluck:

Andrew.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Fantastic looking car bud, and :welcome:
Strato Silver is a cracking colour too.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Hi Tim and thank you.

Proud to be owning a Capri again after 20+ years! :drive:

ATB :wave:

Nige
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

:agree: Andrew.
The easy to access and prone areas have been done but realistically, the windscreen corner/scuttle is an area that in the near future, will need to be addressed properly, ie new metal repair. I don't have the skills or equipment to be able to carry out that so I will need to find a good bodyshop/skilled person. My philosophy is to prevent rather than cure but I'm still learning and scrutinising the car, around work, to identify areas that need attention.

Nige.

Andrew 2.8i wrote:It's a good idea to stop the rust in it's tracks, but your efforts will only be successful if you completely treat the affected area. That will mean sanding back the paint until you can see good metal surrounding the rust. Unfortunately, you'll probably find that there is more going on under the surface of the paint than you would suspect from a small area of bubbling. One of those things that must be fixed though, as the rust won't cure itself if you leave it alone!
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Nige Image