Project Boot Resto - UPDATE 12/9/2018

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Project Boot Resto - UPDATE 12/9/2018

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well nothing too exciting I'm afraid but I have some 'interesting' plans for my spare wheel/boot area so thought I would get the ball rolling today by stripping out the area, sanding then painting up. I actually decided to try brushing application as I had a tin of Lacquer Red I had not used. Also I wanted to get into tricky areas so thought I would see how t turned out. This is only the first coat and will do another tomorrow but I was really pleased with the results. Yep, up close in a few areas you can see its been applied by brush but even this kinda looks right for the area. Very pleased and really gives the area a new lease of life for my plans...

BEFORE
ImageResized_20180814_144151_9390 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

AFTER
ImageResized_20180814_185102_9984 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

More on my 'plans' when I get further down the line.... :shock: …. :lol:

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Project Boot Resto

Post by D366Y »

Looks great Nick!

Look forward to seeing the rest of your project come along :cool:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:Looks great Nick!

Look forward to seeing the rest of your project come along :cool:
Cheers Danny. More pics as and when mate ;)

The boot turned out really nice considering it was brush applied. Wanted to get the brush right into and under the corners and sides and was worried of over spray ftom the rattle can but as said very happy how its turned out. Might do another coat today then onto the next stage.

All the best

Nick
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

[quote="Fordoholic Nick
The boot turned out really nice considering it was brush applied. Wanted to get the brush right into and under the corners and sides and was worried of over spray ftom the rattle can but as said very happy how its turned out. Might do another coat today then onto the next stage.
[/quote]

To be honest I can't blame you, covering everything to prevent overspray is a massive ballache and you've got a great finish with brush painting it anyways so fair play! Like you said, the paint there was probably never perfect from Mr Ford anyways, mine has a load of seal and gunk on show as no-one was meant to be displaying it I guess :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: BEFORE
ImageResized_20180814_144151_9390 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

AFTER
ImageResized_20180814_185102_9984 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

More on my 'plans' when I get further down the line.... :shock: …. :lol:
Interesting how you were lying on the roof taking the first picture Nick :D

Paint is looking really good, should show off your spare wheel to good effect under your planned boot floor project. :goodluck:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking good mate it will look the dogs what not when finished
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
As said, what you've done so far is looking really good. Now you've whetted our appetites, we are eager to see more....
Are you going to do any more on the project before the car goes to Tickover, or are you going to wait until it comes back?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Wait till he fits the disco lights and and ball :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote: as no-one was meant to be displaying it I guess :lol:
Until now..... :o …. :wave: ... :lol:

Danny I did a second coat today and mate for a brush application it really has turned out well !! It actually give a very deep solid finish with a brush and no need for clear lacquer either and as you said no need to spend half a day covering up everything only to still find some overspray has found its way through :lol: You really have to look hard to notice brush marks and that's when its empty. By the time I fit back the refurbished washer bottle, pump, jack and wheel it should all look pretty nice. Need to touch up the side boot liners so will get a chance to get the HFVP out again :woot:

Cheers Danny
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Interesting how you were lying on the roof taking the first picture Nick :D
:lol: Rob, I am freaked out by this as I really cant see how I took this pic. Its almost back to front too compared with the second picture !

Rob, I may have 'flatlined' and rather than had an amazing spiritual experience thought it would be a good time to take a picture of my 'project boot resto' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your kind words mate. I got a second coat on today and its come up really lovely. Am very happy with it mate :)

Cheers fella

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:As said, what you've done so far is looking really good. Now you've whetted our appetites, we are eager to see more....
Are you going to do any more on the project before the car goes to Tickover, or are you going to wait until it comes back
Hi Andrew,

Thanks mate ! Its coming along a treat with the final coat on today. As said I am pretty chuffed how its turned out. A neighbour came over and said " bloody hell its like a new car" :lol: :lol: But I am leaving the paint to dry now for at least couple of weeks to let it harden proper before I try the wheel in there...but there are a few other little things I can be getting on with !!

All the best mate

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Wait till he fits the disco lights and and ball :beer:
Ladies free before 11pm :P
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Looking really tidy! One question . Where did you get the paint from? I need a touch up pen for mine.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stish704 wrote:Looking really tidy! One question . Where did you get the paint from? I need a touch up pen for mine.
Thanks Steve. I am well chuffed how its turned out mate. Steve I used to get paint from Auto Custom Paints wbo dont seen to trade any more. I recently bought some from this company

https://www.paints4u.com/

Select touch up paint from the left menu then choose which product you want then when you choose colour enter these details 1985 - Ford Europe - Lacquer Burgundy Red - L5 and it will come up.

The paint i used in the boot is from the other company but I did spray my n/s inner wing with paint from this new company and its a very good match. John was impressed by it at The Ace.

Any probs let me know steve

All the best mate

Nick
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Stish704 wrote:Looking really tidy! One question . Where did you get the paint from? I need a touch up pen for mine.
Thanks Steve. I am well chuffed how its turned out mate. Steve I used to get paint from Auto Custom Paints wbo dont seen to trade any more. I recently bought some from this company

Select touch up paint from the left menu then choose which product you want then when you choose colour enter these details 1985 - Ford Europe - Lacquer Burgundy Red - L5 and it will come up.

The paint i used in the boot is from the other company but I did spray my n/s inner wing with paint from this new company and its a very good match. John was impressed by it at The Ace.

Any probs let me know steve

All the best mate

Nick
Cheers mate, I’ll have a look then!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

Nick
Yes, I've used them in the past as well, seem pretty good.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stish704 wrote:Cheers mate, I’ll have a look then!
No prob Steve. Just be sure to enter those details I gave you as whilst Lacquer Red was used from 1984-86 paints-4u for some reason have it as 1985-86 and call it Lacquer Burgundy Red which threw me a bit but I bought some anyway as the same prefix L5 colour code was used and as said I have already used their aerosol on my n/s inner wing top and nobidy noticed at The Ace ( as far as I know ! ) so must be a decent enough colour match :)
Peter-S wrote:Yes, I've used them in the past as well, seem pretty good.

Yep, very pleased with them Peter. Very quick service too. I was worried the expert forum eyes would notice it at The Ace but nobody did ( I think ! ) which is a very good indication its a decent enough match ! I resprayed the top section of ny n/s inner wing about 2 weeks before The Ace so was expecting to get people saying " have you resprayed your inner wing" but no one did all day !! Only John mentioned it but he knew I had done it so was keen to check it out up close so was very happy when he said he was impressed how it turned out as I ended up having to spray a larger area than first planned to find good cut off blending in points along the inner wing top.

Peter you might recall at Deal I had a tiny bit of cracked paint beside the strut top where a strut brace bracket had been fitted which had always niggled me :wave: so good to finally get it sorted and as said no one seemed to notice my mini resto which for once I was very happy about :lol:

All the best chaps

Nick
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Nick, Burgundy Red was a separate colour used later on after Lacquer Red. It was used from about late 86 until 90 on all models except the Capri If I remember right. It is similar to laquer but a bit lighter.

I know my Uncle had a 1990 Fiesta MK3 which was Burgundy which had replaced a 1985 MK2 that was Lacquer red.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I resprayed the top section of ny n/s inner wing about 2 weeks before The Ace so was expecting to get people saying " have you resprayed your inner wing" but no one did all day !!
Hi Nick,
That's a top quality job! I spent some time looking under your bonnet at the Ace, and I didn't notice a thing. Mind you, the glare of the sun reflecting off your shiny engine wouldn't have helped! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:Nick, Burgundy Red was a separate colour used later on after Lacquer Red. It was used from about late 86 until 90 on all models except the Capri If I remember right. It is similar to laquer but a bit lighter.

I know my Uncle had a 1990 Fiesta MK3 which was Burgundy which had replaced a 1985 MK2 that was Lacquer red.
Cheers Paul, yep it deffo seems to be Lacquer Red that I got mate as the colour code L5 was correct and the same as when I bought my paint from Auto Custom Paints who had it listed as 1984-86 . I think paints-4u just call it Lacquer 'Burgundy' Red 1985-86 but is in effect the same as Lacquer Red. You also kindly pointed out Burgundy Red was produced from 86 onwards. But the proof was in the application Paul,and it is a very good match indeed and am very happy with it, so I am presuming they just use a slightly different description which is a bit confusing indeed ! Thanks very much for the info Paul. Very helpful as ever :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote:That's a top quality job! I spent some time looking under your bonnet at the Ace, and I didn't notice a thing. Mind you, the glare of the sun reflecting off your shiny engine wouldn't have helped!
Thanks very much Andrew. Yep, I did the whole top section of the n/s inner wing as I tried a smaller area but found that it was easier to just do the whole section so it would blend in better with surrounding areas, as I had better cut off points between old and new this way. It really did turn out so much better than I could have hoped and I was half expecting someone to mention it at The Ace so was really pleased it passed the test !! John knew as I had told him beforehand but even he was quite impressed how it turned out...Phew !!

All the best chaps

Nick