Waterless coolent

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Waterless coolent

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I thought I would start again as I did hijack somebody’s question so as you may know I have been looking at Waterless coolent and what is the cost . So I phoned and spoke to a really nice chap who said that he has used it a lot now and recommends as a long term as it helps the engine .
Price is around £90 and two hours labour what is £49+vat . But there is a “BUT”
One is change all the hoses
Two change the water pump
Three change the Thermostat

So as a guess it could be £400 -£500

So I have told them I will have a think I do still now have a full months worth of tax as I have not yet laid the Capri up for winter ( Nicks fault as a winter drive sounds good ) but might go for this ?

Yes Halfords would cost what £15 and last say 4-5 years and change the things that need changing when I need and yes it has run on water 30 years now .
One thing makes me think is my engine will run better and the thought of looking at my temp gauge should be not a issue . But it never has .

Thoughts ladies & Gents .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Waterless coolent

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:and recommends as a long term as it helps the engine
Helps the engine to do what?

Personally I'd forget it Jason, for the reasons you already mention, normal coolant is low cost, last for several years and has been in these cars for decades.

I drive mine all year round too. Couldn't imagine losing the fun and enjoyment which the car gives me for several months of the year!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:and recommends as a long term as it helps the engine
Helps the engine to do what?

Personally I'd forget it Jason, for the reasons you already mention, normal coolant is low cost, last for several years and has been in these cars for decades.

I drive mine all year round too. Couldn't imagine losing the fun and enjoyment which the car gives me for several months of the year!
I would stick with Blue Coolant too.
Recommend change every 2 years, and on top of the Coolant cost will be an hours labour max, unless you do it yourself.....
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So update the guy has phoned me back from http://www.rdsroadsport.co.uk
Really nice he said that they did a 2.8i 1984 your see it on there Facebook page , and the cost comeout to £895 yes £895 A’s the rad was shot also the matrix heater needed cleaning out more with new hoses .

So yes your all right for the last 100 years cars have run on water and I really can not justify (to my darling wife ) that spending that type of money on coolent .

So at least we all know what the real cost is .

That’s good for me putting a project to bed in under 24hrs if you have the cash then yes I would go for it if let’s say a 280 owner with there car costing 25k or more then spending £1k is worth it I guess .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Forgive me for asking what is probably a silly question, but why do the hoses, matrix and thermostat have to be replaced?
Why can't the system just be flushed?
It's a ridiculous price to pay for the limited benefits of going waterless.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Forgive me for asking what is probably a silly question, but why do the hoses, matrix and thermostat have to be replaced?
Why can't the system just be flushed?
It's a ridiculous price to pay for the limited benefits of going waterless.

Andrew.
I was wondering that :?

As I said before, if a hose splits or the radiator gets a hole the coolant will still run out, and after spending all that extra money it still ends up on the floor :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Thinking of it, perhaps that's why all that stuff has to be replaced, is it just to help prevent any future failures? As you say, imagine if you'd spent the thick end of a grand and a hose split! Ouch!

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry , yes the matrix had so much “ rubbish “ in the 2.8 they had to keep on using the flush stuff also they recommend changing all the hoses as the waterless cost about £90 and if a hose went . Yes you could do the job with out changing all the stuff and it will only be about 2 hours work and £130 with the waterless flush .
He said that 5% of the water left in the system is fine and will find its way out of the system and then you would top up with the waterless . If at anytime a hose or water pump went you would have to start all again .
It’s like insurance really the more you have the more you are covered and I guess the more parts you change for new the less to go wrong .
I don’t know if the person on there Facebook page is on here but I would like to see if it’s still going well also I was wondering how the auto-choke on my car would behave.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I don't recognise the Capri on the RDS Roadsport page, it's been tested in Essex for the last few years. If the owner isn't on this forum somebody from that area might have seen it around or they might even know the owner.

I seem to recall that Dave (Hollyoak) used the Evans coolant in his 2.8 a few years ago, but he doesn't seem to be around much these days to ask about his experiences.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Your good Andrew yes I would have thought that he was near me , it would be great if we found somebody who as run with waterless for a few years .

Let’s hope a member can help ....
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I'd just stick to plain old blue standard anti-freeze - it's the best for old cars. My old Polo that I inhereted from my mum has had blue anti - freeze changed every 2 years religously since the car was new 22 years ago. Never ever had any cooling system problems and only changed the original water pump last year as a precaution when I did the cambelt.

On a 4 cylinder Capri you would only use probably just over half a 5 litre can of concentrated anti-freeze to do a change which would cost about 6 quid. If a can of the waterless is £90 then you could change the coolant every two years for the next 30 years for the same money. Plus you get the pleasure for doing an easy bit of DIY on your car.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Really.... don't bother. If running a race car that has the head ported to death and you getting hot spots around the exhaust ports causing localised boiling then go for it as the waterless coolant has a higher boiling pount.
:spam:
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Re: Waterless *coolant*

Post by Will01 »

Run normal coolant. Only consider waterless to use for a specific need such as mentioned prior racing or extreme use.

Normal coolant does the job very well if your cooling system is correctly working.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)