Missing Cam-Gear Wheel - to - Thrust Plate; Missing Spacer?

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
JungleJustice
Car(s): 1973 Mercuri Capri - Resto-Mod Project

Missing Cam-Gear Wheel - to - Thrust Plate; Missing Spacer?

Post by JungleJustice »

Good Day,

I'm in the process of assembling an "engine in a box" 2600 rebuild for my 1973 Capri that sat around for a while unfortunately (before I bought it...)

Anyway, there appears to be some sort of a spacer / washer missing that would ideally go between the timing gear wheel and the thrust plate / cam...? I'm unable to find good video / pictures / manuals that reference this part, so I'm not even sure that it exists, but it appears to be something that needs to be there to keep the cam timing wheel from grinding into the block? it will likely be keyed as well?

Any help / pictures and even a replacement part source would be great!

Thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Missing Cam-Gear Wheel - to - Thrust Plate; Missing Spacer?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Assuming that the 2.6 cologne engine shares that part with the 2.8, it might be easy to find the part you need. Try calling some of the suppliers on the list found here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50830
Try Capri Gear, Capri Club International or Motormobil.

Andrew.
JungleJustice

Post by JungleJustice »

Thanks! Yeah, I've been going down the 2.8 litre North American Ford rabbit hole for a few days now. I'd rather not know this much about Rangers and Bronco IIs... :xd:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If you look on the Motormobil catalogue page 221/2 it shows the 2600 timing gear. It doesn't seem that there is a thrust washer behind the gear. Gears are available part number 8019400-5

https://www.motomobil.com/3237,8019400-5.html

Stupid question - Have you got your gears on the right way round?
JungleJustice

Post by JungleJustice »

Yes - the gear is on correctly and the timing marks are lined-up - all of that is good, thanks.

So, it looks like it is a collar / bushing that fits INSIDE the thrust-plate opening and AROUND the snout / nose-shank of the cam that we're missing... It provides spacing off of the thrust plate for the cam wheel - the cam-gear boss on the back rides on this collar. We have one coming. I'll post a picture.