PROJECT CAPRI V6 COLOGNE INTO JEEP WILLYS

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
chanaum
Car(s): capri v6 cologne 2,3

PROJECT CAPRI V6 COLOGNE INTO JEEP WILLYS

Post by chanaum »

Hello
i am french, i find this forum to day ,its great with many informations.I just bought an old for capri engine v6 2,3L with is gearbox 4. Ihave a french jeep M201 its a french army jeep but the same that willys. I want install the V6 inside. i see on the difference post T9 gearbox and MT75 .For the 108 hp of the engine what the best and he easy to install?
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my poor english
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Re: PROJECT CAPRI V6 COLOGNE INTO JEEP WILLYS

Post by Vermilion »

chanaum wrote:Hello
i am french, i find this forum to day ,its great with many informations.I just bought an old for capri engine v6 2,3L with is gearbox 4. Ihave a french jeep M201 its a french army jeep but the same that willys. I want install the V6 inside. i see on the difference post T9 gearbox and MT75 .For the 108 hp of the engine what the best and he easy to install?
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my poor english

All gearbox will survive that power....

Normal type 9 Good for 200bhb with any rear axle ratio.
With low rear axle ratio (3.09:1) Type 9 will survive 300+bhb.

MT-75 is propably 30% more durable. BUT the biggest difference is how much heat can gearbox tolerate.
I managed to boil type 9 gearbox oil when I drove 250km/h (Would have blown up if drived longer time).
Mt-75 has propably 30-50% better cooling, because of alloy casing and extra surface compared to Type 9.

Most common problem is that MT-75 gearbox tail will snap, (it wont take any hits to ground, make sure the car is high enough)
MT-75 is horrible to service. You need tons of special tools compared to Type 9.

There is also Type 9 HD that has better bearings it will last longer (more miles) under stress.
Spare parts for type 9 is easier to find than MT-75 spare parts.

I suggest to get quickshift kit for both gearboxes, makes life easier and more comfortable.
MT-75 is more comfortable to use since it has better syncros and reverse gear is syncro. Though MT-75 need more though what
oil to use, if wrong oil is used syncros wont work.

I didn't break Type 9 or MT-75 gearbox even though I had 500 to 700nm torque during these years. But both gearboxes were fully serviced before used and I used really low rear axle ratios (3.09:1) those gearboxes would not have survived if I had used ratios like 3.75:1 or something.

MT-75 is maybe couple of centimeters higher, if you have really small gearbox tunnel, that might be problem. (I think Jeep should have quite large gearbox tunnel...) MT-75 and Type 9 both have different type of propshaft. I suggest to get 3" inch 2-piece propshaft in both cases. 3" is pretty much indestructible with normal engine. Normal propshafts are quite fragile. There is model with rubber donut on propshaft and model withouth it. Donut is used to balance and lower engine vibrations. (Makes ride little bit more confortable).
chanaum
Car(s): capri v6 cologne 2,3

Re: PROJECT CAPRI V6 COLOGNE INTO JEEP WILLYS

Post by chanaum »

Thanks for your answer . Very good and technical answer . 30 years ago the jeep with v6 ford have transit 4 speed transit.its Easy to install because the shift is on left face. To day transit have mt75.
Its not easy to find t9 , if i find transit gearbox , is that good .i need 18 teeths .