Suspension / Brake options for Cstom Capri MkI project;

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
JungleJustice
Car(s): 1973 Mercuri Capri - Resto-Mod Project

Suspension / Brake options for Cstom Capri MkI project;

Post by JungleJustice »

Good Day - first post! Thanks for maintaining this resource.

We are starting an early Ford Capri project (its a US model 1973 "Mercury" Capri), here in Seattle, Washington - USA. It's a one-owner, 4-headlight, red 2600 V6 with a 4-speed manual transmission and minimal rear fender arch cancer - just minor, period-correct patina. It still has all of the stock components, a nice clean interior and shows 145K miles on the odo. It's complete, so it's great for a project.

We want to do a tasteful resto-mod and I am considering either a Ford V8 Coyote motor swap with a 6-speed manual (from the recent Mustangs - motor, ECU, harness and transmission package can be had for about $6K to $7K USD), or perhaps a V6 EcoBoost twin turbo swap with it's 6-speed (the cost is about the same, but it's a lighter package that also takes up less room and with similar power potential - after mild upgrades to the intercooler, wastegate, down-pipes and an ECU flash.) Either way, it's going to have a significant power upgrade, so I am thinking more about suspension and brake upgrades first.

Recently our shop completed a Heids bolt-in / weld-in independent front suspension coil-over setup and a 4-link / 5-link (still with the live axle) rear conversion on a 1970 Ford F100 pick-up. Turned out well, but those pre-fab components seemed HEAVY and it's a truck! Similar concept to the front though - for the front and the rear - I want to weld in a complete cross-member conversion that eliminates the leaf-springs and that houses coil-over struts.

For the Capri we want to also eliminate the live axle and do a small / center differential with conventional side axles and a fully independent rear suspension with coil-overs. I'm looking for the best route to do a similar weld-in setup for the front and a setup for the rear on the Capri that can be somewhat tied together with a ladder / tubular frame lower chassis weld-in setup... (Think Roadster Shop, without the big $$$.) Heidts and Art Morrison are more Hot Rod guys - I want track- style performance and not a burn-out / drag-strip focused build.

What I am hoping for are complete / contained "drop-in" units with some (but minimal) custom fabrication that would already give me a more desirable / common available wheel bolt-pattern, front and rear disc brakes, front and rear coil-overs, front and rear anti-roll bars / sway bars and a modern power steering rack setup. The goal is a firm, lowered, but compliant fast-road setup with great track performance, good street manners and a nice wide stance. You guys are the masters with a Carpi. What's been done? What's available?

Any thoughts without reinventing the wheel?

Much thanks, JvR.
Group 2 Motorsports
www.G2Motorsports.com
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Suspension / Brake options for Cstom Capri MkI project;

Post by Paul G »

I don't think there are that many people on this forum with vehicles as wildly modified as you are proposing (although there are a few) and you may get more help from Capri World on Facebook or Capri Power www.capripower.co.uk

Sounds like an interesting modification you are proposing and good luck with it - keep us posted!
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Most conversions I've seen use the Sierra (Merkur to you I guess) rear, which wasn't great from day 1. Have seen some conversions on the net using Jap front and rear assemblies, I just converted mine over the winter to BMW, not seen or heard of any others. Of course using BMW running gear opens up a huge selection of brake and wheel options.
Mine also uses the Modular V8 ☺
Last edited by QuadCamCapri on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Mad ideas are good ideas. Good luck with the build.

Quad Cam, i think we need to see some pictures of yours finished ;) That engine install is just a beast, i love it
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Hi Will, hope you've had lots of quality time on your build this summer, here's some pics, purists best look away now :)

Haven't taken any engine bay pics recently, so just this old one which I think I've posted before...

It's first shakedown 2 weeks ago at Snet, felt good straight out the box so just more testing to do now to get a set up and balance I like. The power bulge gave me a big blind spot on lefthanders, couldn't see the apex, didn't like it anyway so that's now gone. Making a lower one now and some smaller intake trumpets...
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Simon, unfortunately not.
I got alot of rubbing down and got car in primer. Then had surgery and am still recovering and cannot do strenious work :(
I will get back to it.

On yours however......oh my god. What a beast, i think i just had a major accident and crisis! If you up at Croft or Knockhill, can you pleae give me a shout out so i can come see the car! I love it.

For mine i have been discussing engine builds with an race engine builder. We decided to ditch 32V modular unit due to my budget and requirements. Maybe another day. But am going to build up a 302 with alloy heads and a T5 box. I will also be keeping the Atlas as i like live axle, but it may eventually become 6 linked.

I just love the pics. For the guy asking the original questions, just build what you want and go with it and enjoy it. :)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
JungleJustice
Car(s): 1973 Mercuri Capri - Resto-Mod Project

Post by JungleJustice »

Thanks guys, that's what I figured...

We have done the BMW setup converted into the Alfa Romeo transaxle cars (GTV6 and Milano), utilizing the BMW diff at the rear and the forward-mounted Getrag 6-speed from the V8 M3). We are now in the middle of another project that takes the Corvette transaxle and fits that to the rear of the GTV6 to keep the car a transaxle.

For the Capri though, don't know. Probably go a similar route on the BMW setups, but I'll check out the Carpi World and Capri Power sites and see what they say there...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

QuadCamCapri wrote: Image
It's first shakedown 2 weeks ago at Snet, felt good straight out the box so just more testing to do now to get a set up and balance I like.
Absolutely stunning, what a car. Please post more pictures when you're racing it.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

That's an amazing piece of engineering - beyond that it's a work of art.

Well above my paygrade!
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Thanks for the comments Will, Rob & Paul :)

Glad to hear your on the mend Will, nothing wrong with a 302, especially with alloy heads, so many parts to choose from and make good power.
If / when I do Knockhill and Croft again I'll be sure to let you know, both great circuits.

Will post some pics when racing again, all being well next year. For now here's an old one...

Brands Hatch 1990 (Note the 2.8i press car VVW 2W)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

QuadCamCapri wrote:Brands Hatch 1990 (Note the 2.8i press car VVW 2W)
Hi,
Great photo!
Is this the Slick 50 Road Saloons? That was a great race series and, looking through my old programmes (who doesn't keep them?!), it seems that I must have seen you race at Combe a few times back in the late 80's/early 90's. According to the few results that I actually have filled in, it seems that you were quite succesful. 8-)

Andrew.
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Hi Andrew
Yes it was the Slick 50 Road Saloons, a hugely successful series back then. Full grids at every meeting, Class A was nearly all Rovers and Capris. Although I've gone quicker in other series as the car got more and more modified, I've never had as much fun as I did in the Road Saloons.
I did the series between 1987 and 1991, winning the championship in 91 and changing 9 lap records from Rover to Capri :D

Always loved Coombe, very fast (before chicanes) and very bumpy, we usually went there once or twice a year. Although the Rovers had more power (they were all 3900cc), the Capri could out handle them on the really fast bends, so it was always close.

Quarry 1990 & 1991...

Cheers Simon
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Brilliant pictures, great to see them racing in anger. A good crowd watching too. Don't think much of the '90s safety barriers though :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

QuadCamCapri wrote:I did the series between 1987 and 1991, winning the championship in 91 and changing 9 lap records from Rover to Capri :D
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the background information and the brilliant additional photos. Winning the championship is a fantastic achievement, well done! In my opinion, the Slick 50 saloons along with the prod saloons were the most competitive race championships of the time, perhaps ever. Great times!

OP...sorry for the highjack. :oops:

Andrew.
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Yes sorry OP, but if you need anymore info we'll be sure to get right back on track :D

I the mean time last pic just to show things don't always go to plan, 1989 Oulton Park, killed by a Rover...

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Ouch, that's a sad sight to see.
I'm guessing that particular shell didn't race again after that shunt?

Andrew.
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Afraid so Andrew, the ARB snapped where it goes in the TCA so the wheel assembly came back pushing the pedal box area right in (luckily I didn't have time to brake). Also had a big crease in the floor behind my seat, so quite lucky to be able to walk away.
That was an S-reg 1.6L shell, I killed the original 3.0S shell the year before without any help :oops:

Simon
blue74
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri
Mondeo ST24

Post by blue74 »

Have you considered looking at Nissan Silvia s13/s14 front and rear suspension. The track will need to be narrowed if used without wider arches/fenders.