Front lights modification

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Front lights modification

Post by Jasonmarie »

Great piece of work there I think that's one conversion every capri owner wanted and I never really wondered why fords did not do this . As for Nicks and yours I can not make out any difference but as you say Andrew wait to see them for real .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi John,

WOW ! Fella they looked brilliant last night looking at them via your text messages on my phone but seeing them posted up here on the bigger screen on my laptop they look bleeding stunning mate...stunning !! What an outstanding job you have done...yet again :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

You see...I told you they would look great with four quads on dipped beam...didn't I ? :wave: :lol: :lol:

Yours have really transformed the front end of your Special an absolute treat John, but I have already seen this transformation you done with mine so no surprise there matey ! How brilliant do yours now look at night and so much better lighting too. Superb !!!

You have been hearing me go on at you about quads for some time now and look at us now :D but only down to you of course. I am more the 'exterior designer' side of the 'business' while you are the skilled expert tradesman but between us we have a great product and make a great team ! :lol:

Now John...about these clear front indicators.........

Mate, what a shame we got so near with mine a few weeks back while we had the front end in pieces :lol: but as you said at the time it made sense to wait for you to work out the full quad conversion with all dipped beams, and get it all tested and up and running before thinking of doing mine too. My quads even with the two outside dipped and inner sides lit look superb but as you know the four dips was always the dream for me...and now you have sorted the kit I cant wait to get my already converted lights...converted :D
Jasonmarie wrote: I never really wondered why fords did not do this
I am with Jason, as I have always wondered, even with my previous Laser, why Ford in their wisdom did not at least offer this as an 'extra' if not standard. Yep I know the brighter bulbs of today were not available back in the day and roads were not so busy/dangerous but to make use of all four lights under normal night driving conditions rather than just the two would surely have done nothing but improve the lighting ? Now I know this might upset a few here by saying this but I am getting too old to worry about things like this but somehow I still feel obliged to say :sorry: :lol:

Yep I know its not original 'as Ford intended' but surely this is only a positive thing on both counts...gives the Capri a more modern look without taking away the charm and improves the lighting no end !

Once again John I am really pleased you got your lights sorted and you like them, and those Hella units you have fitted really do look the business indeed. Yep we have different crystal clear units but without a doubt both look stunning. Full credit to you John....now about my quad dipped upgrade........ :wave:

All the best mate

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I know its not original 'as Ford intended'
Only because the Ford engineers aren't as clever as John and they couldn't work out how to do it! :D

Nick, when are you booked in with John to get the quad dip set up?

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote: I know its not original 'as Ford intended'
Only because the Ford engineers aren't as clever as John and they couldn't work out how to do it! :D
:agree:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Nick, when are you booked in with John to get the quad dip set up?
Andrew, whenever John can fit me in mate...I will contact his 'office' tomorrow as it is 'out if hours' now methinks :beer: :lol:

Hopefully get them done before The Ace Cafe Capri Day on Aug 5th :D

The quad dips will be the icing on an already very tasty cake :)

Cheers fella

All the best

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Is John going to the Ace cafe meet as I will be able to see them in the skin as they say also Nick are you going to the Ace meet as there is still room .
Yes I will say I think John should be going with the clear lens indicators but it's all down to taste I have my screws with wd40 soaking so I can get them screws of .

But yes I think you could open your own little workshop fitting headlights as I would book in ...

Nice job with that big ford question answer at long last .

One really sad thing would have been a lux test to see how much more light you get so next car try the test or i will test mine as I have Normal bulbs and then yours as that would give us a figure of extra light .

I do have a tester some where but will have to go on the look for that or I will try and see if there is a app on the phone .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Is John going to the Ace cafe meet as I will be able to see them in the skin as they say also Nick are you going to the Ace meet as there is still room
Hi Jason.

Yep I put my name down on the list for The Ace when I was at the Brooklands Memorial a while back. Kris and Calvin were starting the list up then so I got in early. If I can talk for John yep he wont be missing this one either. Was a brilliant day last year. Neil(sheff), Mark(brooky) and Danny(D366Y) are all hopefully coming too. Hopefully a couple of others from this forum can make it too.

Great that you are coming along Jason. Finally we should get to meet face to face...or should I say bonnet to bonnet :lol:

As said The Ace last year was brilliant...great turnout of stunning Capris and always good to meet up with friends from here and to meet new faces too ! The quality of the Capris was absolutely amazing last year.

Anyhow its not long to go till Aug 5th so yep hopefully see you and your lovely Laser then Jason.

All the best

Nick

PS The Ace does a quality fry up too :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That's great news I think it starts at 10 so let's hope the weather is with us as I have been lucky and the car has not been rained on since about 15 years ago .
Also I can check them lights out . :beer: :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:PS The Ace does a quality fry up too :)
A free one! :whistle: :lol:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Did not have the heart to tell Nick Iam a veggie but I guess I might bring my old man as he loves a fry up .... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Did not have the heart to tell Nick Iam a veggie
I'm sure the Ace can do you a mean muesli instead! :lol:

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: the car has not been rained on since about 15 years ago .
Bleedin Hell Jason...15yrs without rain :shock: Where the dickens do you live ?? ...I wanna move there !!!! :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:PS The Ace does a quality fry up too :)
A free one! :whistle: :lol:
Yes Andrew, but unlike the very generous folk of Bristol who give ALL Capri owners a free fry up, at The Ace Café they only give free fry ups to Quad Light Convertors....so that's me and John sorted :wave: :lol:

Seriously though shame you cannot make this mate. Would be great to see you and your 2.8i at the famous Ace !
Jasonmarie wrote: but I guess I might bring my old man as he loves a fry up .... :beer:
Jeepers Jason....I was gonna have a cup of tea with my Ace fry up....obviously your Dad has different plans :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I'm sure the Ace can do you a mean muesli instead! :lol:
Last year we turned up at The Ace about 9.30am only to see the carpark full to the brim with Hells Angels/bikers !!!! I was furious so I popped over to them and told them to finish off their Muesli and fuck off !! Do you believe me Andrew..................

All the best chaps

Nick

PS Look forward to meeting you and your Dad Jason :) Last year was superb weather so fingers crossed for Aug 5th...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: we turned up at The Ace about 9.30am only to see the carpark full to the brim with Hells Angels/bikers !!!! I was furious so I popped over to them and told them to finish off their Muesli
Hi Nick,
I had a similar experience myself, when a gang of bikers were hogging the counter at my favourite takeaway. I didn't know what to do in that situation, but luckily I remembered this thread and how you handled the bikers at the Ace, so I told them to "jog on". As you can see from the photo, they didn't take kindly to being told what to do! I got away from them eventually.[/img]

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So any bikers we can just tell them that Nick is on the patch and they should leave running ...
I hope they have a veggie breakfast also I don't look like twiggy with my smashed back and stick .

Can't wait now for the 5th just hope somebody has a dirty engine so I can park next to them ...... :beer:

Love the picture with the bikes at the back ...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote: we turned up at The Ace about 9.30am only to see the carpark full to the brim with Hells Angels/bikers !!!! I was furious so I popped over to them and told them to finish off their Muesli
Hi Nick,
I had a similar experience myself, when a gang of bikers were hogging the counter at my favourite takeaway. I didn't know what to do in that situation, but luckily I remembered this thread and how you handled the bikers at the Ace, so I told them to "jog on". As you can see from the photo, they didn't take kindly to being told what to do! I got away from them eventually, thanks to the 2.8..... :lol:

Andrew.
It looks like you're giving them the V sign as well Andrew. Brave man!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:It looks like you're giving them the V sign as well Andrew. Brave man!
It looks exactly like that, doesn't it? I was actually trying to be cool by raising some fingers to acknowledge the camera man.
That was the first and last time I tried to be cool........ :)

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
pbar wrote:It looks like you're giving them the V sign as well Andrew. Brave man!
It looks exactly like that, doesn't it? I was actually trying to be cool by raising some fingers to acknowledge the camera man.
That was the first and last time I tried to be cool........ :)

Andrew.
:shock: Oh Nooooooo....not "The Fingers" again.

I thought I had seen the last of "Fingers"PeersDupp
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:I thought I had seen the last of "Fingers"PeersDupp
You can't keep a good man (or his fingers) down........ :D

Andrew.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Stunning both on and off, Nick........deffo a mod I'll be looking at, as I was going to go the BMW route but this looks the muts nuts.
With the white indicator lenses the front of your motor just look's 'so' right.... :applaud:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

:D
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
timfromull wrote:Stunning both on and off, Nick........deffo a mod I'll be looking at, as I was going to go the BMW route but this looks the muts nuts.
With the white indicator lenses the front of your motor just look's 'so' right.... :applaud:
Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for your kind words fella. I really was over the moon with the results of the quad light conversion John did for me and yep it works really well with the clear indicators to give the whole front end a lovely modern twist. I always had a 'vision' in my head of how I wanted it to look and now its done it is even better than I had visualised. These quad crystal clear units look amazing and from different angles/light they seem to take on a different appearance. Very cool ! Tim if you want to mod up your front end this really is a worthwhile mod to do not only for the styling but the performance too. You wont be disappointed fella !

Thanks again,

All the best

Nick