tyre dressing

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

tyre dressing

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

Also had a look at this product today too as was in a bit of a "detailing" mood after seeing all those cracking Capris at Brooklands . The product is Autoglym Tyre Dressing...sorry for the out of focus shot !

Image20170522_174005 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Usually I would use Johns (taff50ish) excellent tip of boot polish but I was just really interested to see if the results of this stuff is anywhere near as good as the boot polish...and yep not bad all...

Image20170522_182025 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I brought it up to just the top of the tyre wall. It does bring out the details in the tyres really well whilst not being a glossy finish if buffed off. Very quick to apply. The boot polish method also gives a very good finish.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: tyre dressing

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Autoglym to the rescue again! Is there any part of your car that is not shiny? :lol:
I tried John's boot polish method too, and although I liked the non-glossy look that it achieved, I found that it left a lot of residue on the tyres. It's a lot harder work to apply than this sort of product too.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nick,
It's possible to go too far with "tyre dressing".........

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I tried John's boot polish method too.
It's a lot harder work to apply than this sort of product too.
Yep this stuff I had applied to all 4 tyrea in no time at all Andrew. Very easy to apply and yep really does give a good finish imo.

We managed to 'persuade' John to modernise his Polishing regime form 30yr old Turtle Wax to the more modern Autoglym Super Resin Polish ....but methinks getting him to ditch his boot polish could be another matter mate :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Nick,
It's possible to go too far with "tyre dressing".........

Would not mind applying some Autoglym Tyre Dressing to her fella :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Would not mind applying some Autoglym Tyre Dressing to her fella :wave:
Applying it to her fella? :shock: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:Would not mind applying some Autoglym Tyre Dressing to her fella :wave:
Applying it to her fella? :shock: :lol:
:oops: Talk about being mis-quoted !! :lol:

I just hereby want to confirm that I did indeed mean that I would love to apply Autoglym to her old chap..... :doh: :burnout:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I would love to apply Autoglym to her old chap.....
:lol: I didn't realise she was that sort of lady! :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick i have used autoglym for years and yes I do use the tyre dresser but at the Capri meeting the other week some gent who had a very nice mk1 come over and he said I see you use autoglym dressing that's why I had some marks on my wings .
He done a quick trip to his mk1 and got two micro cloths out cleaned my wings with auto glym aquawax spray and then put autoglym gel on my tyres
And I must say they still look good so I have put autoglym gel down for daddy's day .

Out of interested what wax do you use ? As I have never had the bottle to pay £36 for the autoglym one and use a dodo juice wax what was £12 I think .

Keep up the good work
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jason thanks for your post fella. Very interesting as I did not think to use the autoglym gel on my tyres. Great tip ! I will see how I go with the tyre dressing stuff. I did not over apply so hopefully wont get marks as I also buffed it thoroughly, but I will keep an eye on my wings. Thanks for the info mate.

Jason I have only ever used Autoglym Super Resin Poish on B112 and indeed on my previous '86 Laser. It really is remarkable stuff just dont apply it to warm panels or if car is parked up in direct sunlight. I always apply the Polish inside my garage nowadays. Mate Halfords only charge £12 or so for it now. Extremely good value. Always have a tub of it on the garage shrlf without fail. Other folk may prefer one of the other Autoglym products but for me personally I really like the Super Resin Polish :)

All the best

Nick
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

the meguires endurance tyre gel is also fantastic stuff

This is a light application with a pad

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I have used Autoglym Super Resin Polish for years too :D

I use detail sprays and micro fibre cloths more than anything now, as they are great for removing dust, and can be used on wet cars too.
Most contain wax, so really easy.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I find the Auto glym tyre dressing and the other quality ones also last a lot longer on your tyres than the spray-silicone stuff.

Another use for these rubber dressing things, is on door and bootlid seals, it helps keep the rubber lubricated and supple and reduces squeaks if you apply it to the rubber trim along the back of the parcel shelf.
andyd

Post by andyd »

A mate lent me some some Autoglym Tyre Dressing today. Sprayed it on then brushed it in with a 3" paintbrush as he advised.....Looks great :D
I will be buying some soon.......
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:A mate lent me some some Autoglym Tyre Dressing today. Sprayed it on then brushed it in with a 3" paintbrush as he advised.....Looks great :D
I will be buying some soon.......
Nice one Andy. Yep its very good stuff aint it just, and so easy to apply. I must try to persuade John to have a crack at using this Autoglym stuff as he still gets great results with boot polish but takes a lot more more effort !! Managed to get him onto Autoglym Super Resin after 25yrs of using good old Turtle Wax so I stand a chance :lol:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I must try to persuade John to have a crack at using this Autoglym stuff as he still gets great results with boot polish but takes a lot more more effort !! Managed to get him onto Autoglym Super Resin after 25yrs of using good old Turtle Wax so I stand a chance :lol:
I used to use Autoglym super resin polish all the time, then I read a bit of stuff on the internet which has started to lead me to other products. SRP is a polish which will make your car shine nice, but it has mild abrasives in it which will remove paint every time you polish it. Added to this it only offers about 1 to 2 months protection to your paintwork, so it will constantly need polishing to keep it looking good.

If you use SRP, you should then use a wax or sealer after to help preserve your paintwork such as Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection or High Definition Wax.

Sorry if everyone knew this, but its something I've learnt about recently, so thought I would share :D

All the best
Neil
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

The autoglym clay bar is good .But as autoglym goes it's one of the best out there I have never used there £37 pound wax as I have stuck with another brand but I hoping I get some wax for my birthday in August so will do a little mad review if anybody wants . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=100889

I have had litre of SRP for 12 months, but I hardly ever wash or polish my car now, it never really gets dirty and I regularly use a detailing spray containing wax, so looks good all the time :)
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

I don't know what is wrong with Boot Polish!!! Must be Cherry Blossom though, otherwise it don't work too well. You have to work it well in and Buff quite a bit too!!! It can take over half and Hour per wheel.... This way it stays on and Lasts for a couple of Months and doesn't fling off.... (Yep, might see the advantages then a bit!!! :doh: :doh: :doh: )

But worse than being accused of not getting up to date with all your Hip Cleaning Products, if your going to talk Tyres, you MUST include this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWWtgqDG2M

Or this link...???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIfLguIcxs

Best Tyre Ad and Music to Die for!!!! By the way, I do NOT condone the use of Dunlop's, not since the Batch in the 1980's which went out of shape every few Months and had my Cortina's & Capri's shaking their Arse at speed!!! (And we're NOT talking Cortina Void Bushes!!!) :xd: :xd: :xd: Stick with Goodyear or BF Goodrich...

Hey Hoe, cheers for now, all the best everyone,

John...

P.S. Nick, I might have some Enlightening News for you!!!
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote:http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=100889

I have had litre of SRP for 12 months, but I hardly ever wash or polish my car now, it never really gets dirty and I regularly use a detailing spray containing wax, so looks good all the time :)
Me to Andy...... If the cars just dusty then its detail spray plus I use a good quality microfiber cloth.

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.uk/o ... 470ml.html

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.uk/o ... Black.html

And if I wash it, then I clay it with one of these which IMO is one of the best products I've ever used.

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.uk/o ... -17cm.html