faded sunroof seal

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

faded sunroof seal

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

I noticed at Brooklands yesterday that my sunroof seal was fairly faded but as it was still in good condition I did not want the hassle of removing the sunroof to fit a new one, as the sunroof works really well and usually if you mess with something that works fine 'before' it don't wotk fine 'after' :wave: :lol: .

So I set about trying to find a solution and I seem to have found it with a product - Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel. Unlike other spray applications this is a gel so much easier to apply neatly and direct to the area. This is stuff...

Image20170522_155507 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I used as artist type brush to carefully apply it

Image20170522_155602 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Which when lightly depressed on the seal it spread to just the right width. I used a spare cap to use as a container to hold the gel

Image20170522_155620 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So I dabbed the brush in the gel and worked it into the seal well in inch long sections at a time so it will take a bit of time to work your way around the seal but why rush it and do a less good job. I actually went around twice as by the time I did the first coat it was dry and it seemed to give it an even better finish, but you may be happy with just the one treatment.

Here is a pic of a section before and after. Hope you can make out the difference it makes and this was just one treatment...

Image20170522_155659 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Sorry guys, the shine on my car is reflecting the white roof of my garage so hope you can see the sunroof seal ok :lol:

So as said I treated it twice and it really made a big difference to the faded seal and it does not harden the seal as this gel is designed for rubber too so keeps things flexible and soft. I ended up with a much 'blacker' look to my faded seal so just thought I would share this with you in case you may have a similar concern.

Hope this is of interest.

All the best

Nick

PS Sorry O got interrupted and forgot to take a 'finished' picture but hope you can see how the product does darken the seal :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: faded sunroof seal

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Where was this advice before I went to the trouble of changing my seal Nick?? ;)

Looks quite good actually :D & as you say, it remains supple, will probably prolong the life of the seal too.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Must get me some of this as mine is getting a bit grey.

Guessing this is good for the tailgate spoiler as well?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprifan Rob wrote:Looks quite good actually :D & as you say, it remains supple, will probably prolong the life of the seal too.
Cheers Rob. As said this was only one treatment too and it does look better even in the flesh. Going over it a second time gave it an even better finish and as you pointed out it will probably give it some protection too. Very impressed mate and no need to replace a perfectly good seal :sorry: :lol:
Noel wrote:Guessing this is good for the tailgate spoiler as well?
Yep, Noel I treated my rear spoiler with it last week before Brooklands and that came out pretty well too fella. Very easy to apply mate. Also did the side moulding trims too but check it out on a small area yourself just to make you you like the finish :)

All the best now

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nice Top Tip there Nick and that shine on your car is 10 out if 10 .

I will be doing this as I guess it helps the rubber from drying out , I could not open my sunroof fully and when the guys at tickover had her they fixed it ( only £40 ) and it's great driving around with the roof open my 10 year thinks it's great .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Nice Top Tip there Nick and that shine on your car is 10 out if 10 .
Hey thanks Jason. Nice one fella :)

Got back from Brooklands Sun pm and decided to get it ready for another show down in Kent this Sat so it all ready to go. So had been meaning to treat the sunroof seal to try to restore it back to black. Had originally bought this gel stuff for another job but it seemed like it would do a good job on the seal too, which it did. Just use a tiny brush to apply it evenly and you should see a definate improvement.
Jasonmarie wrote:I could not open my sunroof fully and when the guys at tickover had her they fixed it ( only £40 ) and it's great driving around with the roof open my 10 year thinks it's great .
Great stuff mate. Does make a big difference when the roof is open...and it looks dam cool too :D
Only drawback is I need to be careful not to get sunburnt on my head :lol:

All the best

Nick
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Even the underside of your garage roof is spotless Nick :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Even the underside of your garage roof is spotless Nick :)
:wave: :P
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
That's a great job, good work!
As you may or may not know, I highly rate Autoglym products. I do find with this bumper gel that although it does make rubber and plastic look superb, it does have to be reapplied quite regularly to maintain the appearance. Not a problem for you, I suspect...... :D

All the best,
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:That's a great job, good work
Cheers Andrew ! Looks so much better than before :D
Andrew 2.8i wrote:although it does make rubber and plastic look superb, it does have to be reapplied quite regularly to maintain the appearance. Not a problem for you, I suspect...... :D
Yep am not expecting it to be a permanent finish mate but as I choose carefully when I bring B112 out for a drive I am hoping it will last a while...but as you say it would really not be a problem for me to reapply it every so often :woot:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Looks the dogs! You mentioned you applied it to your spoiler, how exactly did you do that and what did it look like afterwards? Got any pics?

Ive tried dying mine, but even that hasn't lasted more than a couple of months and now the spoiler looks naff again. I heard someone used wet and dry sand paper on theirs once and then treated it with something, every heard of doing that? Cant see it myself, the spoiler is made of a sponge like material.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Arya2.0S wrote:Looks the dogs! You mentioned you applied it to your spoiler, how exactly did you do that and what did it look like afterwards?
Here is a pic I took of the Capri just before setting off for Brooklands on Sunday. You might be able to make out the rear spoiler. Looks ok. Better than before.

Image20170521_051049 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I only had time to give it one treatment but I reckon a second would make it even blacker. I applied it with an Autoglym Professional Applicator which is basically a fancy sponge mate. It goes on very easy but obviously will not 'repair' any bad spots. Mine is not perfect at all and still shows the imperfections but it definitely improved the 'faded look' and now look blacker. Just be careful not to over apply it !

Another trick believe it or not is to use Peanut Butter, but only the 'smooth' one. There are oils in smooth peanut butter that do amazing things to rubber type trims, but its not permanent and will need reapplying. Plus it smells of peanut so might attract some wasps :lol: I tried it on my previous Laser's rear spoiler and was shocked how it works !!

All the best

Nick

PS In had not treated the sunroof seal or tyres when I took this pic. They both look much blacker now ready for a show I am going to on Sat down in Kent :x
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Without sounding too kinky have you tried baby oil on the black trims? works a treat!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Caprigear wrote:Without sounding too kinky have you tried baby oil on the black trims? works a treat!
Ive got plenty of that, I'll give it a go! ;) :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:
Caprigear wrote:Without sounding too kinky have you tried baby oil on the black trims? works a treat!
Ive got plenty of that, I'll give it a go! ;) :lol:
Yeah me too will give that a try.

Thanks too, Nick for the info.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Martin. No mate have not tried baby oil yet. Ermm dont think I got any on my garage shelf...got loads of vasiline though :wave:

Seriously I may well give it a go if my trims start fading again. They dont look too bad after the autoglym. Thanks for the tip mate.

All the best

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Another trick believe it or not is to use Peanut Butter, but only the 'smooth' one.
I've experimented too with that in the past. As you say Nick, has to be the smooth type. Only temporary though as most of these treatments are. WD-40 also makes most everything look great.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:WD-40 also makes most everything look great.
Paul I would rather eat WD40 than Peanut Butter mate :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
And just think how free and easy all of your joints would be!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Same. Peanut butter is vile.