My 1986 capri laser project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: My 1986 capri laser project

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny as I got a phone call tonight to say the mother in law was in casualty.

Thing is I watch the show on BBC1 tonight and never saw her ...

Sorry really bad AE joke
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Funny as I got a phone call tonight to say the mother in law was in casualty.

Thing is I watch the show on BBC1 tonight and never saw her ...

Sorry really bad AE joke
Lol
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Today I cut out the front of the sill on the drivers side and an area of rot i saw just in front pretty much exact to the other side i did, so proceeded to knock up a repair section and then cut up the sill repair section and let them both in

I then spent 4 hours getting the drivers pattern wing fitting something like, it was well out, the part that follows the line of the scuttle was pressed against the body and was nowhere near inline and the gap was well out, a mixture of heat and hammers and a couple of slits its about there now just a little more finessing when i get chance and weld up the slits

Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Looking good.
fordperv

Post by fordperv »

Even though I havnt been updating my thread i have been cracking on with jobs, I have finished the welding to the drivers inner wing where I needed to repair the strengthening plate and behind in the engine bay, but to gain access i had to remove the radiator mounting panel, then fitted the new slam panel,

I also repaired the passengers strut top

After this I cut off the sill back on the passengers side, the lower quarter, also repaired the inner wheel tub where there was a peppering of rust, I also cut a rust scab from the bottom of the quarter where it meets the arch just above the sill

This was a scab until I hit it a few times with my corrosion assessment tool

I've still got to do those 2 scabs in the arch lip, for information purposes it appears to be on its original rear arches

I have also stripped the interior out to check for any areas requiring repair, cut out corrosion on the rear floor pans both sides just where the double skinned area is before the rear spring hanger, where they all rot but it wasn't too bad to be fair, I reproduced both skins and zipped it all up, I didn't take a picture of this though

While the seats were out i cleaned them up, these were from the LS breaker i bought to cut the front corner off so I could repair this
As you can see they were minging

A side by side comparison

Earlier on i cleaned the carpet and plastics then built the interior back up

Under the rear drivers sound deadening i found the remains of an original build sheet, the car mustve got damp years back and damaged it, mrs fp put the pieces back together for me while i was working on the car

There might be a couple of jobs ive done that ive missed off
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I think that LS interior actually looks much better than the Laser one. Really sets it off.

You really have done a lot of work in a relatively short time, it's all much the same as I've had with my Laser but with caring for a 92 year old mum I have taken much longer getting it done. Still, hopefully get mine painted at the weekend or early next week.
fordperv

Post by fordperv »

Cheers mate i really like the blue centre cloth and the grey as opposed to the woolly finish laser seats, I thought it was a little different them being the light blue as all the ones I seem to see are dark blue print

As with time scale im quite lucky because my job gives me a few days off because I do long shifts, oh and an understanding mrs who loves my passion for cars, I will say if I had a garage to work in id probably have my work on this finished by now but i cant have everything