Saving the 2.0s

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Capri&Corona
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s, Glacia blue.

Saving the 2.0s

Post by Capri&Corona »

Hi, im George, 22 from west Essex, i have recently bought my first and hopefully only Capri which is a mk3 2.0s in glacia blue.
I have always wanted a Capri and finally have one, my aim was to buy one that needed to be saved as my intention was to stop another Capri from dying!
I found this 2.0s locked up in a shed in need of restoration, the last time it was taxed and MOT'd was 2007.
The aim is to have it as a usable restoration, to restore it to a high standard as well as driving it while i do that to enjoy the car for what its made for (going sideways)!

If you are all interested, follow the topic and hopefully we can all build this together, i can use others advice and knowledge to overcome the issues i may have.
This car will be ready to show by spring next year 2017 (paint bubbles or no paint bubbles).

When i bought the car the valve stem seals had gone and the cam lobes had bridged out, very very smokey (ill post a picture when i work out how to).
the roof had the usual rust around the sunroof, terrible passenger foot well repair fell out, exhaust was blowing, fuel tank was full of off fuel, usual leaky diff seal, bumpers were dented in, and the worst of all being the filler repairs in various places around the body (rear valance, below headlights, bottom of door skins, top corner of wings).

Lets see what we can achieve, thanks

George :ford:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: Saving the 2.0s

Post by sheff »

:welcome: to the Forum George. Looking forward to seeing some photo's of your car and how you progress with it :D

All the best
Neil
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

sheff wrote::welcome: to the Forum George. Looking forward to seeing some photo's of your car and how you progress with it :D

All the best
Neil
Thanks Neil, i have a holes in my pockets, wallet and bank card, but as every build is, time and money is against me, ill do what i can :)

Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

This is the first photo i took when we dragged her out the shed, looks in better condition here which is why i like the photo :) :ford:
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

The Horrific repair that was done previously, luckily it was red oxided around the plate to stop further rusting :( :ford:
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

The condition of the roof around the sunroof. Typical perished seal allowing for water to sit behind the raised sunroof!

Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

Starting the engine up, the bridged out cam lobes providing a show for the neighbours :ford:

Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

I am going for a look that i like despite what others think, light mod of removing bumpers as personal preference :ford:

sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Capri&Corona wrote:Image

This is the first photo i took when we dragged her out the shed, looks in better condition here which is why i like the photo :) :ford:

Nice :D I'm a big fan of the 2.0S model and this one is a nice colour.... I can see in the other photo's you have a fair amount of rust, but this can be fixed and you will have a great car when finished.
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

The front surrounds and grille were slightly faded, and grille was cracked.
after a glue repair, 800 grit rub down with wet and dry, and added plasticizer into the 2k primer and top coat, the front is now restored to satin black (new badge needed so if anyone could guide me to one at correct size please) :ford:

sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Capri&Corona wrote:I am going for a look that i like despite what others think, light mod of removing bumpers as personal preference :ford:
I like Capri's with the bumpers removed. If you're not worried about keeping it looking original then removing the bumpers gives it a different look. You can always refit them if you change your mind :)
Last edited by sheff on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

Due to the cam being scrapped, i have rebuilt a new gt injection head, ported using steel carbide burrs and emery cloth, skimmed (professional done as lack of equipment), 2.0 kent cam, unleaded valve seats, new valve springs, recon/measured valves, seat guides, valve seals, now running short plugs, recon 38 downdraught set up for 2.0 fast road, new K&N filter, Ashley exhaust system including manifold, new water pump, new belts, recon pump pulley, new viscous unit, and freshly painted fan to match the samco hose kit. photo was from mid build, will upload more soon.

starting to run low on cash wishing i can print it! the beast is booked in for welding next week to do many repairs as far as my budget can take me including a fresh coat of paint on the exterior only as a previous bad respray caused flaky paint on my drive. :ford:

Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

sheff wrote:
Capri&Corona wrote:Image

Nice :D I'm a big fan of the 2.0S model and this one is a nice colour.... I can see in the other photo's you have a fair amount of rust, but this can be fixed and you will have a great car when finished.
Thanks :) i was always looking for one in white, being from Essex i thought lets keep it looking as Essex as possible, seeing the light glacia blue is also a bit flash, also being a rarer colour, ill keep with that and see what i can do.
As for the rust, i am getting a professional to do cover that and thats where the funds are going as everything else i can pretty much do myself :ford:

Thanks for the interest, pass it on.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hello and :welcome:

Good find and an 'S' of any sort gets my vote.
Car looks a good base to start a resto, and you will find alot of helpful/ knowledgeable people on here (Not me though) :lol:
and Capri Gear (Martin) is a good source for spares.

Look forward seeing your progress and you should make the car you like, although still being able to return it to standard if needed IMO :)

'Simply Ford' at Beaulieu is usually early May so if you could make that :applaud: Keep an eye on the Rant and Rave Section for info in the new year.

:goodluck:

Andy
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

andyd wrote:Hello and :welcome:

Good find and an 'S' of any sort gets my vote.
Car looks a good base to start a resto, and you will find alot of helpful/ knowledgeable people on here (Not me though) :lol:
and Capri Gear (Martin) is a good source for spares.

Look forward seeing your progress and you should make the car you like, although still being able to return it to standard if needed IMO :)

'Simply Ford' at Beaulieu is usually early May so if you could make that :applaud: Keep an eye on the Rant and Rave Section for info in the new year.

:goodluck:

Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for your interest and your advice its a great help, im sure ill be in contact with martin for spares pretty soonish.
yes the idea is to modify the car to my preferance, however all mods can be quickly turned around back to standard condition for re sale (if i sell)!
im definately interested in making most of the events next year as close to south as possible to enjoy the social side of things. Ill keep everyone updated on the progress as soon as i can!

Thanks, George :ford:
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

The car is set to be delivered to the fabricators on 1st October! Its in for floor repair, roof repair, rear arches, rear valence, drivers sill, passenger A post, front valance, rust removal on inner headlight bowls, rust removal on spare wheel well, front wings scabby at the top will be sorted, rear wing (duck tail) fab and alignment, and to top it off, full exterior respray including engine bay! :ford:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi George,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Your car looks like a decent starting place for a restoration, and the S models are definitely worth saving if possible.
Good luck and keep us up to date with the work as it progresses.

All the best,
Andrew.
Capri&Corona

Post by Capri&Corona »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi George,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Your car looks like a decent starting place for a restoration, and the S models are definitely worth saving if possible.
Good luck and keep us up to date with the work as it progresses.

All the best,
Andrew.
Thanks for your interest Andrew, ill keep everyone updated as much as possible :ford:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Welcome mate. Car looks a great project and in a rare colour. Good luck with the resto, will be a nice car to save. :ford:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great looking Capri S & a nice colour. It's good that you plan to save it as there aren't many around, keep us up to date on your progress, owned one myself & loved it. :goodluck: