13 years on back on road

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
KarlG
Car(s): 1.6 laser rolling resto

13 years on back on road

Post by KarlG »

Hi people thought I would make my first post. In 1999 I bought my first Capri an 86 1.6 laser in silver. I loved and cherished this car spent all my spare cash doing her up then in 2003 some numpty reversed a van into osr qtr and she was written off, a very sad day I was told the insurance had no retention so it was off to the scrapper. So I bought a 2.8i in tickford guise then a month later I got a call from the insurance company saying I could have the laser back for £150 delivered so a week later she was home but in a sorry state. I couldn't afford 2cars so the laser was put into storage and forgotten about. Next came kids and the 2.8 went this was 2005 and along came the dreaded people carrier. 2014 came and was not a good year I got diagnosed with DSD, 10 years left on my feet, and my storage was due for demolition so the laser came home and sat in my garden untouched and unloved until March this year then I decided to put her for sale but couldn't bring myself to do it, 5 months hard graft with my condition and is now mot'd again and a daily runner she looks tatty and still has her war wound but mechanically sound.I can't believe after all this time it only took £500 to get her roadworthy.Should of done this sooner but sometimes you need something to motivate you.Next job is to lay some primer on her and find a good panel beater then I can paint her, I'm thinking of doing her silver metal flake with the front end airbrushed with a Help For Hero's memorial with draping Union Jack?? Can't wait for the show season next year and let my family experience the Capri community. Happy times are here again! :applaud:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 13 years on back on road

Post by sheff »

:welcome: to the forum..... Might catch up with you at some of the shows next year. Which shows are you thinking about going to? IMO Simply Ford at Beaulieu in May is a great show if you like all things Ford :D

All the best
Neil
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

sheff wrote::welcome: to the forum.....
Seconded, bet you're glad you didn't sell it now. It's great that you're back enjoying a Capri again. All the best of luck with what you plan to do with it.
Rob
KarlG

Post by KarlG »

sheff wrote::welcome: to the forum..... Might catch up with you at some of the shows next year. Which shows are you thinking about going to? IMO Simply Ford at Beaulieu in May is a great show if you like all things Ford :D

All the best
Neil
Thanks for the welcome Neil, been out of the scene so long I don't know what shows there are yet. I loved the CCI summer camp and attended 5 times love the vibe and people. At the moment I will be looking for local events, I live in Hull and a lot of the shows are crap around here. Need to join the club again. I'm going through the process of getting the car running perfectly again, experiencing a misfire when hot, checked plugs and she's running rich so that's the next job.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep as already has been said :welcome: to the forum fella. It sounds like you and your Laser have been through quite alot together so its brilliant you are able to enjoy it now after so many ups and downs. Well done for sticking with it and look forward to seeing some pictures when you get a chance :applaud:

My Laser was first registered in Hull by the way :wave:

Yep as Neil has said Simply Ford is a superb show and a few of us always try to meet up for this. If there is one show you would be prepared to drive from one end of Blighty to the other then Simply Ford down at Beaulieu is definately worth considering...but an overnight stay should be factored in. Hull to Beaulieu is one hell of a round trip to do in one day.

Anyway all the very best and look forward to hearing more from you and your Laser. Nice one !

Cheers

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

:wave:
Maybe Capri National Day in Evesham Worcestershire usually in May the week after Beaulieu would be better for you?

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
This is a useful reference site for finding shows in your area:
http://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi again,
Thinking about it, there is a big annual Capri meet held at an airfield somewhere in Lincolnshire.
It's the Lancaster bomber thing, where they organise a photoshoot on the runway. I think the Mansfield and Notts Capri Club organise it.

Andrew.
KarlG

Post by KarlG »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Yep as already has been said :welcome: to the forum fella. It sounds like you and your Laser have been through quite alot together so its brilliant you are able to enjoy it now after so many ups and downs. Well done for sticking with it and look forward to seeing some pictures when you get a chance :applaud:

My Laser was first registered in Hull by the way :wave:

Yep as Neil has said Simply Ford is a superb show and a few of us always try to meet up for this. If there is one show you would be prepared to drive from one end of Blighty to the other then Simply Ford down at Beaulieu is definately worth considering...but an overnight stay should be factored in. Hull to Beaulieu is one hell of a round trip to do in one day.

Anyway all the very best and look forward to hearing more from you and your Laser. Nice one !

Cheers

Nick
Hi Nick how do I post pictures I have photo bucket but I don't have a computer only android tablet, any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Karl
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Welcome, from a fellow Hull bloke.
My dad bought a brand spanking Strato silver 1600 Laser back in late eighties. It was on a D plate, traded in his B reg Sierra Laser at Chrystal Hull.
I had a B reg Nimbus grey one at the time....... loved ripping up and down the A63.
Currently restoring and modding a Diamond white white one, all good fun.
Hope you find all the info on here you require, they're a good bunch and know their onions..
:goodluck:
Tim.
KarlG

Post by KarlG »

timfromull wrote:Welcome, from a fellow Hull bloke.
My dad bought a brand spanking Strato silver 1600 Laser back in late eighties. It was on a D plate, traded in his B reg Sierra Laser at Chrystal Hull.
I had a B reg Nimbus grey one at the time....... loved ripping up and down the A63.
Currently restoring and modding a Diamond white white one, all good fun.
Hope you find all the info on here you require, they're a good bunch and know their onions..
:goodluck:
Tim.

Hi Tim
Only seen 3 Capri's in Hull and only 1 of them Restored which is an orange mk3. Do u know of any local meets? Years ago there was a monthly meet at Red Hawk pub ( I think that was it's name) in Brough. Due some heavy rain tonight bring on the roundabout's :xd:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

That's where I'm from, Brough/Elloughton....my family are still there so I'm back and forth.
I'm in Stoke-on-Trent now .
Yes I do believe there are meets at Red Hawk for a classic car club, not sure of details though.
About a year or so ago I saw an orange mk3 painted like General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard) in Brough.
I was a regular at Donny Custom Show way back when it was a proper custom car show.
Not sure of local car shows in/around 'ull........the beauty of living in Stoke is that it's pretty central.