CCI Parcel Shelf

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

CCI Parcel Shelf

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Chaps,

I mentioned yesterday I must do a quick thread after Des jogged my memory after reading his great parcel shelf find !

Now, this is really for anyone thinking of or has already bought a CCI Parcel Shelf to replace their original one. Its not really for anyone that has a broken or split original shelf, which would obviously need major repair work, but I hope this might of help to some of you chaps.

So, some of you know that I bought a CCI Parcel Shelf that I rigged up and fitted just before Simply Ford at Beaulieu earlier this year. I had been having some issues with it in that the middle was bowing (sagging) very badly in the middle when raised up with the tailgate and also when seated in the resting position. It really did not look right and proper at all. John had kindly picked it up for me at The Nationals with a new rubber strip, so after collecting it from him and fitting the new rubber strip I thought job done...but no, it sagged terribly. I have since found out that I had made a fatal error, one which I need to hold up my hands and admit I f*cked up :)

I did not realise and maybe should have, that I needed to remove and re-use the metal strip (that is fitted underneath the rubber strip) from my original one which I had already donated to another Capri owner. So after thinking it was a design fault in the CCI one I now know why it was sagging. It had no metal strip that reinforced the front of the shelf as you look at it when fitted. So after seeing this John very kindly agreed to knock me up a metal strip to give the front edge the strength needed to stiffen it up to stop the sagging....

First up John cut out a metal strip, shaped and drilled to match the holes that I had already made in the shelf when I fitted the rubber strip...
ImageResized_20160611_163104 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

John decided to use nuts and bolts which held it much more securely whilst fitting the metal strip and rubber in place on the shelf...
ImageResized_20160611_163608 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

After a test fit without tightening the bolts fully he was happy that everything fitted and look right and proper...
ImageResized_20160611_164433 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So, nuts and bolts tightened up it was job done...
ImageResized_20160611_165103 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And the shelf now had no sagging/bowing whatsoever...
ImageResized_20160611_165148 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

But the professional that he is, John wanted to camouflage the bolt heads by giving them a couple of coats of Black paint so they blended in with the rubber strip...
ImageResized_20160611_172414 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Job done ! Bolt heads now painted black look almost invisible...
ImageResized_20160611_182515 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

What a stunning end result...am well happy !...
ImageResized_20160611_165148 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So fast forward to this afternoon I finally got around to cleaning up the underside of the shelf with some Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint :wave:
Think it turned out really well indeed. Used the Dark Grey.
Image20160809_173845 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I decided not to paint the metal strip and nuts in the end as I think it looks really cool like this...but you cant actually see them unless the shelf is up and you bend down...
Image20160809_173857 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So, that's if folks. A CCI Parcel Shelf that really looks very good indeed and does in fact have a lot more strength than I first thought, no thanks to me making an error with the original strengthening strip :banghead:
Image20160809_174152 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

The carpets by the way were donated to me by Andrew, as some of you know, so I have him to thank as well for his part
Image20160809_174204 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So I hope this helps anyone thinking of buying a CCI shelf and who does not have an original one to re-use the original metal strip. Did see a original strip on ebay recently but was snapped up at quite a price so using a strip as John did is just the ticket. These CCI shelves really are very good indeed and I highly recommend them !

Thanks for your help again John... Nice one mate :applaud:

All the best

Nick

PS Photos of the actual repair to shelf supplied courtesy of John who very kindly took them for me :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: CCI Parcel Shelf

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Great repair by you and John, the shelf looks fantastic now. It's straight and level enough to have a game of pool on.
I'll see if I can find some green carpet for you! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Great repair by you and John, the shelf looks fantastic now.
Thanks Andrew. Its so much better now and sits and raises dead flat now with no sagging/bowing at all. And your carpets you gave me got some attention at The Ace too :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote: It's straight and level enough to have a game of pool on.
I'll see if I can find some green carpet for you! :D
Now you are just being "potty" Andrew..."cue" the bad joke :wave: ... :lol:

All the best mate

Nick
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Nick

Looks spot on buddy... Nice teamwork... :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Bertie wrote:Looks spot on buddy... Nice teamwork... :D
Cheers Des . It felt great to have a can of Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint - Dark Grey in my hands again...it seems like ages since I last rattled one :wave:

All the best

Nick
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:. It felt great to have a can of Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint - Dark Grey in my hands again...it seems like ages since I last rattled one
So glad you've had your HFVP fix :D . Many thanks for updating your shelf project, I'll stick to my original plan now & transfer all the fittings to the CCI one, it looks really good & should last the life of the car. Now, if John isn't busy the weekend ..
Cheers Nick,
All the best,
Rob
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Good one Nick.

And that's the best use of wheelie bins I have seen yet.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The rear shelf on my Laser is knackered but complete with all the bits that need transferring.

Can I take it that from the above thread you all would recommend the CCi shelf as a good replacement: I've been toying with ordering one. Absolute originality is not important to me and I know it's made of plastic rather than the mashed card of the original.

Also, do they rattle more than an original?
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Paul G wrote: Can I take it that from the above thread you all would recommend the CCi shelf as a good replacement
Can't comment on the rattle as I havn't fitted mine yet, Nick will be able to say about that, I know Andrew has an earlier one & that looks really good also. There are rubber feet on both sides under the original shelf so if they are also transferred i'd imagine it should be ok. As for the shelf itself it looks good enough to me, i've had it a while, not bothered about originality either, just want it to look the part & last. Nick's finished one looks great so i'd recommend.
Rob
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
You could run a strip of self adhesive foam or similar along the contact points to reduce squeaks and rattles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-SQUEAK-A ... xyBotTYp-B

I think Nick has the right idea about spraying the CCI shelf matt or satin, as the unmodified item does look particularly plasticky, should that be a concern.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
You could run a strip of self adhesive foam or similar along the contact points to reduce squeaks and rattles.
Rubber washers can also help on certain places, especially good using on screws which go directly into plastics.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:Can I take it that from the above thread you all would recommend the CCi shelf as a good replacement: I've been toying with ordering one. Absolute originality is not important to me and I know it's made of plastic rather than the mashed card of the original.

Also, do they rattle more than an original?
Hi Paul,

Yep I would highly recommend the CCI shelf...just make sure to transfer over that reinforcement strip from your original one (like I didn't :banghead: ) and it will be just fine. I too was not concerned at all about the originality of this part as I did not really fancy paying £975 for that one that went on ebay not too long ago :lol:

Paul, these shelves really do look as good as a reproduction part can look, especially when you fit some carpets. They definitely have a nice strong feel to them,so just as Rob says it should last the life of the Capri...unless you have a Labrador sitting on it ! Looking around The Ace with John the other day we were commenting on the array of different carpets in the shelves on the Capri's on display. Some had the original while others fitted their own. That acoustic carpet I got from Andrew is really nice. Although this too is not original, at shows I get nothing but very positive remarks on this now, most recently at The Ace from the forum chaps :)

Yep these do have the trademark rattle but differs how bad from capri to capri I suppose, but definitely no worse than the original ones so some sort of "insulation" is required. I might get some of that anti rattle tape Andrew mentioned but also might try some insulation foam tape which would stick neatly in the mould of the underside of shelf. Will let you chaps know what I do.

Regarding the underside, yep, just as Andrew said they can look very "plasticky" so I just gambled and tried some trusty HFVP (Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint" Dark Grey on it and whilst I am sure it was not designed for this does actually give it a really nice satin finish with a "texture feel", without being perfect at the same time, so looks very nice indeed and certainly loses that plasticky look. Maybe a "Plasticote" type paint might be better for this but as said the finish I acheived is just what I want as it don't really look like its being sprayed with paint...

Image2016-08-11_11-34-51 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

All the best mate,

Nick
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Cheers for that Nick, my old one has the corner bent up and cannot even be bodged to sit straight. I will give one ago. I've heard that CCi have recently upgraded them, whatever that means.

You and your bloody Halfrauds vinyl paint! I'm going to give my dash and the side kick panels a go with it too. Do you reckon it would do a Laser steering wheel where the grey is slightly (but not hanging) worn on the leather rim?

Sorry I didn't make it to the Ace on Saturday, the Surrey crowd have told me it was a brilliant day and I would have liked to meet you and some of the others on this forum - there may be a fourth Lacquer red one in the line up next year!

Regards

Paul.
tomfairall1995
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 1.6 (1986)

Post by tomfairall1995 »

Never realised how difficult the carpet would be to get hold of, someone had cut speaker wholes in mine. ended up pulling some from a broken parcel shelf i got for free from the back of a capri at my local capri breakers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I need to rebuild the parcel shelf on a car ive just bought. It sounds like the CCI shelf is the best way forward. Is this the one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361871425041? ... EBIDX%3AIT
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:I need to rebuild the parcel shelf on a car ive just bought. It sounds like the CCI shelf is the best way forward. Is this the one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361871425041? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Yes :)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

cool. Il order one :)
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Brilliant stuff mate, could do with a template of that strip of metal, could be a useful part to have made. Great idea. I did one myself on my old 'S' but didn't have the metal reinforced bit then and it flexed.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Not_Anumber wrote:cool. Il order one :)
You wont regret it mate as these really are a great reproduction item Capri Club have sourced. Just make sure you transfer over ALL the fittings from your original, especially the reinforcement strip cause without this the shelf will sag terrible. Once you get some nice carpet in the new one with the rubber strip it will really look the part. :goodluck:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Brilliant stuff mate, could do with a template of that strip of metal, could be a useful part to have made. Great idea. I did one myself on my old 'S' but didn't have the metal reinforced bit then and it flexed.
Thanks Essex. Full credit for the metal strip goes to John (taff50ish) who tailored it to fit just perfect !

I laugh now when I think back to slagging off the Capri Club shelf when I first fitted it cause it was "sagging and flexing all over the place", not realising that reinforcement was all that was needed to give it the rigidity of the original. I actually gave away my original shelf as it had whopping 6x9 speaker holes cut into it, but in hindsight I maybe should have kept the original fittings too...hey ho :lol: But from a negative we got a positive with Johns bit of metalwork magic and a solution if anyone else needs it :D

Funny but whenever I go to shows/meets now I always have a peek at the parcel shelf. So many different customisations with different carpets it always puts a smile on my face to see what people have done with theirs. I tried loads of variations of carpets with mine but always found myself going back to the ones that Andrew kindly donated to me which look cool. Cant wait to see what Andy thinks of it at Beaulieu as he was rather "disappointed" with it last year cause it was bending in all directions. Its proper stiff now :lol:

Remember that NOS "Still in bag" parcel shelf that sold for just under £1000 last year on ebay :shock: I am glad I went down the Capri Club route with help from John...and Andrew and not to forget Neil who chipped in with some adhesive spray for me.

In fact I would go as far as to say I feel as though my parcel shelf is true a symbol of how great this forum is :wave: :lol:

All the best chaps

Nick
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

CCI do the shelves in black as well as grey. If they only had grey on offer I would have ordered one without hesitating but now Im wondering which cars would have had black shelves ?