Good couple of days.....

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Good couple of days.....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

As said just had a great couple of days (well afternoons tbh) out working on the Laser getting a couple of jobs done that I been meaning to do for a while. First up I replaced the inline fuel filter. After some advice here recently I decided to fit the smaller filter rather than the large one I also had. Thing is I am sure the larger one would prob perform better but the poor blighter looked terrible when I offered it up...far too big and ugly for my engine bay :lol: While I was at it I shortened the fuel line between the pump and the carb as John pointed out to me a while back that it was unnecessarily long ! It wound up and around rather that being a more "direct" path. Looking at other Capri's at Santa Pod and more recently Dan's Pinto at CRaP it was indeed much longer than any I had seen, so I chopped almost 8" of it and now it sits much better...

Image20160705_183542 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I also finally got around to replacing my fuel pump. The old one worked ok but as I had replaced a lot of the other parts with nice new/refurbished units courtesy of Martin @Capri Gear. I really wanted to add a new pump. I will of course clean up and keep the old one as an emergency repair in the boot ( as Peter has inspired me to do after his tales he told me at CRaP :lol: ). It was a very straightforward job for anyone like me who has not actually done this before...

I first pulled off the inlet hose (from fuel tank to pump), you will need to be sharpish here plugging the hole up to stop the fuel spilling out everywhere. I just made a "plug" from electrical tape by wrapping it around itself to make a little plug and forcing it into the fuel line. Then had lots of tissue underneath to take any dribble but I was lucky I could lay the " plugged open end fuel line" so as it was upwards facing so gravity helped to keep it from leaking fuel. Next the outlet fuel line going up to the carb. Simple case of pulling off. No real need to plug this for fuel but I did anyway to keep any dirt getting into it. So hoses clear now onto the pump removal. Just two bolts. Pump pulls off. The spacer block on mine was still stuck to the engine block so just a teeny bit of a jiggle and that was off to. Now the Haynes guide says to "recover the pushrod on removal of the pump" but this actually stays in place as I found out and as Martin ( Capri Gear) had advised me, so no need to worry about it dropping out. Now the important bit to scrape off the remains of the old gaskets on each side of the spacer block and check the mating surface on engine block is clean of old gasket. So onto refitting the new pump. Smeared some Hylomar blue gasket sealant on the gaskets and fitted them on each side of the spacer, then refitted the spacer and pump. Removed my makeshift "plug" from the inlet fuel line and as fuel was still there rapidly pushed it onto the new pump inlet connector (underside of the pump). Next pushed the outlet hose onto the top connector of pump and tightened the hose clips on both. Now I had heard that the new pump might need "priming" at this stage, but as fuel was still present at the end of the inlet as I reconnected it I just fired up the engine (as I had it running earlier so plenty of fuel in carb) and the engine did the rest pulling the fuel through the pump priming it immediately. Job done :)

Image20160706_153804 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160706_153851 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Now as they say on Masterchef...the proof is in the tasting....I took it out for a test run, before of course checking for fuel leaks whilst engine was running in garage. Better to find a leak here than driving up the road methinks :shock: . There was a slight noise from the new pump as I set off but that immediately stopped after 10metres so maybe it was just settling itself on its first use under power. Car ran great. Don't know if it was just me but it did seem to pull better. Maybe the combination of shortening the outlet fuel line with the new pump has improved it ?

I also did an oil and filter change and spark plugs too so really enjoyed spending time down on B112 AAT :)

Anyway I know most of you chaps are the last people needing to take my advice on the above, but if there is anyone else out there like myself :wave: who has not changed a fuel pump before I just though this might be of some help.

Was well worth replacing the pump as it not only seems to perform well but it looks great too :) Even the inline fuel filter looks better now I have shortened the fuel line so as said I had a great couple of days :D

Thanks for listening....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Good couple of days.....

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Great thread, very informative.
You car engine bay looks as immaculate as ever. Presumably you've already removed and cooked the trout that found their way in there after your drive in monsoon conditions on the way to CRaP! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Great thread, very informative.
You car engine bay looks as immaculate as ever.
Thanks very much Andrew. Really appreciate that mate :D

I really enjoyed myself today as I did a couple of jobs I had not undertaken myself before. Even though pretty simple still very satisfying ...even though I cant get the smell of fuel off me !!! I told Mrs F it might be safer for her to cook the dinner tonight for "health and safety" reasons in case I ignite myself... with the vapour...its seems to have worked as the missus is indeed cooking the dinner :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Presumably you've already removed and cooked the trout that found their way in there after your drive in monsoon conditions on the way to CRaP! :D
Yep. With some chips and baked beans and Daddies brown sauce :wave:

But I could not bring myself to kill the family of frogs I found in my expansion tank Andrew......

Thanks again for your kind words mate

All the best

Nick
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I really enjoyed myself today as I did a couple of jobs I had not undertaken myself before.
Good write up Nick, stuff like this helps others who haven't done this before. The thing is, not all of us on here are great with the spanners, i'm not for one. I'm not afraid to tackle anything & learn everytime I change something, and with that comes the satisfaction of doing it. On another note, Like everything else on your car, the bits you can't see are also immaculate, how long have you been suffering with OCD ? :D stunning mate.
All the best,
Rob
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Nick

Nice work and looks very tidy indeed buddy. Good to see some nice clear pics to, much better than my efforts... :D
The bay looks great I think you've been spending some time polishing again, either way looks great....

Des
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Freelanderfan wrote:Good write up Nick, stuff like this helps others who haven't done this before. The thing is, not all of us on here are great with the spanners, i'm not for one. I'm not afraid to tackle anything & learn everytime I change something, and with that comes the satisfaction of doing it
Thanks very much Rob, Nice of you to say.

Yep as you say mate you can get satisfaction from the simplest of jobs and each time its another thing learned. I would not have undertaken most of the jobs before I joined this forum Rob. Was a pretty "nervous" home mechanic (ish) before. The advice and "tips" here have been invaluable to me so any time I can help just a bit no matter how straightforward the task is I am only too happy to write up a report if it helps anyone.
Freelanderfan wrote:Like everything else on your car, the bits you can't see are also immaculate, how long have you been suffering with OCD ? :D stunning mate.
Cheers Rob, :D Ermm...OCD, I don't know what you mean mate...but I have just spent the whole afternoon down in the garage cleaning and waxing everywhere after my trip to CRaP in the rain...but its all looking better now again. I smell of Autoglym Rob but love it !

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Bertie wrote:Nice work and looks very tidy indeed buddy. Good to see some nice clear pics to, much better than my efforts... :D
The bay looks great I think you've been spending some time polishing again, either way looks great....
Hi Des,

Thanks very much mate :D

Yep I try my best to take pics along the way if I can Des. I really enjoy it. Mind you I am only doing tiny jobs compared to your fantastic full restoration mate. Its easy for me to take a couple of snaps. You certainly got your hands full Des with your full restoration, but by the time you and Steve have finished your Capri is going to be a right stunner ! Hope all is going well with it.

Thanks again for your kind words mate

All the best

Nick

PS Spent the afternoon today cleaning and waxing my Laser after last weeks "sail" to CRaP ! Cant be doing with this "driving in rain" again Des :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:I smell of Autoglym Rob but love it !
Hi Nick,
It makes a change from the aroma of Halfords Vinyl paint! :lol:

Andrew.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

That bay looks incredible! Much kudos.
I myself spent at least 4 hours Saturday polishing up my car with the new polisher I bought. Never used one before but quickly got the hang of it after plenty of you tube watching. My car looks back to normal now after all the problems I had with the water marks. See my thread , paint problem!
Was nice to spend a good few hours on the car. But as always, time does seem to fly by!
Need to get my engine bay up to scratch after seeing yours!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stish704 wrote:That bay looks incredible! Much kudos.
Hi Stish,

Thanks mate, very nice of you to say, but always lots to be keeping me busy. Would have it no other way though. Just like you I really love the time I get to spend down in the garage in between work and "household stuff" :)
Stish704 wrote:My car looks back to normal now after all the problems I had with the water marks. See my thread , paint problem!
I have been keeping an eye on your thread with interest mate re your paintwork trouble and its really fantastic that you have sorted it out once and for all after some great tips/advice from forum members along the way. Its brilliant you say its looking back to normal. Well done fella :applaud:

All the best now

Nick
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Cheers Nick. the advice I received was invaluable! Took plenty of time and elbow grease but finally done it!
To be honest, I was so disappointed and downhearted when it happened I did nearly consider selling it. Thought it would need a re-spray etc. but glad it's all done!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Stish704 wrote:To be honest, I was so disappointed and downhearted when it happened I did nearly consider selling it.
Hi,
I think most people would feel the same, but it's surprising what issues can be overcome. Looking great, and now you have some idea of how to prevent the same problems reoccurring in the future.

Andrew.
Stish704
Donator
Donator

Post by Stish704 »

Well, at the moment we are in Florida for a 3 week holiday. Hope she's ok. Will obviously need to give her a good clean when I get home! Is it sad to miss a car?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Well I'm missing mine and I only saw it half an hour ago!