B100CNH... The journey begins..

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

B100CNH... The journey begins..

Post by Bertie »

So following much deliberation and consideration I've decided to fully restore my 2.8 special....

Off she goes, no turning back now.... :D

Cheers, Des

Image[/URL]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: B100CNH... The journey begins..

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bertie wrote:So following much deliberation and consideration I've decided to fully restore my 2.8 special....
Hi Des,
Nice one, I look forward to seeing progress as it happens. Please keep us up to date. Is Steve doing the resto?

I wonder if seeing some of the fantastic restoration projects on this forum influenced your decision to go the whole hog?
I can't say I blame you, there seem to be a lot of cars currently being restored to a stunning standard. Now we can add one more to the list!

All the best,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri May 20, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Des,
Will follow this resto with interest :D

Probably a good call before new/used spares become even more expensive.....

:goodluck: Andy
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Hi Des,
Nice one, I look forward to seeing progress as it happens. Please keep us up to date. Is Steve doing the resto?

I wonder if seeing some of the fantastic restoration projects on this forum influenced your decision to go the whole hog?
I can't say I blame you, there are seem to be a lot of cars currently being restored to a stunning standard! Now we can add one more to the list!

All the best,
Andrew.
Hi Andrew

You are correct Steve (SM Classics) is restoring the car, we met and discussed options at length. I've followed his builds closely but as well as a wealth of knowledge and skill it was his attention to detail that I was impressed by. One important factor is he speaks my language, that's important to me... :D

I will certainly update as we go and decisions are finalised.
andyd wrote:Hi Des,
Will follow this resto with interest :D

Probably a good call before new/used spares become even more expensive.....

Hi Andy

Spot on fella and lets face it parts and quality restorations aren't going to get any cheaper..

Cheers, Des
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

andyd wrote: Probably a good call before new/used spares become even more expensive.....

:agree:

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!
8-)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Good luck Des, the car looked great anyway, you're starting with an excellent base. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
All the best,
Rob
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Des,
The road surface outside your house needs some serious work too, by the look of it. It looks like a patchwork quilt!

I also like the plate on Steve's VW in your photo.

Andrew.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

MattMe wrote:Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!
8-)
Thanks Mat, your 2.8 serves up a huge portion of inspiration ... :D
Freelanderfan wrote:Good luck Des, the car looked great anyway, you're starting with an excellent base. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
All the best,
Rob
Hi Rob

It did look good but (there's always a but) let's see what lies underneath years of old paint once it's removed..... Yikes!

Cheers, Des
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Des,
The road surface outside your house needs some serious work too, by the look of it. It looks like a patchwork quilt!

I also like the plate on Steve's VW in your photo.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Ha ha...the good news is it will be resurfaced by the time I get the Capri back home.... Or so they tell me... :D

Well spotted re the plate, I was so busy making sure my car was secured correctly (sad man)... I missed it completely..!
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Des,

Wow!!! That's one Big decision you've taken there fella. It looked nearly perfect after that Detailing you had done..... I too will be looking out for your Up-Dates. Do you know your time scale??? Or is it down to what lies beneath??? Best of luck though Des, really looking forward to seeing the finished car, as I bet you are, all the best,

John...
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator
Car(s): many many capris

Post by elliecharlie2008 »

some piccys for the other day :D

steve
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Taff50ish wrote:Hi Des,

Wow!!! That's one Big decision you've taken there fella. It looked nearly perfect after that Detailing you had done..... I too will be looking out for your Up-Dates. Do you know your time scale??? Or is it down to what lies beneath??? Best of luck though Des, really looking forward to seeing the finished car, as I bet you are, all the best,

John...
Hi John

Yes it was a big decision but as you say it's what lies beneath and a drive to get it the best I can that will take the time. I have a great advantage of having the right man for the job as like you he knows his onions around Capri's. You now know why I board the pants off you at Beaulieu!! Sorry for that but you (and your Cappa) were a great help in my desision making.

We have identified a few obvious areas of work already (rear lower quarters etc) but to get to the truth it will be stripped and then soda blasted to reveille any real issues....

Cheers, Des
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Des,

Looking forward to seeing how the restoration turns out :D I must say your car looked great before in the pictures, but I guess there is always room for improvement. I hope you don't get to the point where your frightened to drive it :doh:

All the best
Neil
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

sheff wrote:I hope you don't get to the point where your frightened to drive it :doh:
Hi Neil

No worries, I bought it to enjoy it as much as possible and this is simply part of that process.. although to be fair it rained big style this morning so didnt take the tractor ive just rebuilt out as planned.... :xd:

Des
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Bertie wrote:
sheff wrote:I hope you don't get to the point where your frightened to drive it :doh:
Hi Neil

No worries, I bought it to enjoy it as much as possible and this is simply part of that process.. although to be fair it rained big style this morning so didnt take the tractor ive just rebuilt out as planned.... :xd:

Des
I wont take the ST out in the wet unless I really have too......
I think its a case of how much you appreciate what you have, and also what time, effort and ££'s you have put into it.

Andy
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Looks like you're uncovering a fairly solid shell so far.

Are you buying sections to weld in or repairing the few little bits you've found?
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

MattMe wrote:Looks like you're uncovering a fairly solid shell so far.

Are you buying sections to weld in or repairing the few little bits you've found?
Depends what we find following soda blasting Matt, if we can keep the original panels we will repair unless it's just not practical.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Hi mate, I'm looking forward to taking a peak when I'm next over. Looks really good under there, I'd be surprised if soda blasting finds a lot with the pics so far.
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

Hi Des, I was over at Steve's today having a nosey at how mine's progressing. I was having a look at yours too. As previously said, it looks like a very good base to start with.

I like to do all my own jobs on old stuff so I'm really out of my comfort zone letting someone else do the work. I spent a year getting to know Steve, deliberating whether or not to go for a full or light resto and looking at other cars Steve has brought back to life.

I'm confident you won't regret your decision pal. I just wish cloning was legal as two of him would mean we get them back twice as quick :)
Andy
Bertie
Donator
Donator
2015 Subaru Forrester

Post by Bertie »

Andyonthejob wrote:
I like to do all my own jobs on old stuff so I'm really out of my comfort zone letting someone else do the work. I spent a year getting to know Steve, deliberating whether or not to go for a full or light resto and looking at other cars Steve has brought back to life.

I'm confident you won't regret your decision pal. I just wish cloning was legal as two of him would mean we get them back twice as quick :)
Andy
Hi Andy

I know exactly what you mean as I've done most of the work myself in the past but to get this one how I want it would take more time than I have available. Steve (as you know) doesn't hang about once a firm plan is in place but works at a pace that ensures the work done is right...I like that approach... :D

I've been collecting (still am) good interior parts for some time as no point having an excellent exterior when the interior is wrong.... Silly prices don't help but still a few fair prices about so glad I'm doing it now ... Good luck with yours...

Des