Pressure tank repair

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Pressure tank repair

Post by Peter-S »

Like many 2.8s my pressure tank split around the inlet due to the metal insert rusting. I had a spare tank with the same issue so repaired it using the following method. I was a bit light on the reinforcement and my first attempt still leaked but I also repaired the original in the same way which has been running 100 miles and is so far OK.

So first off open up the split a little and try and scrape out the rusty crap.

Then get an (old) soldering iron and apply it to the plastic. It will become soft and malleable and you can force the plastic split together and start to close it up

You will find that you need some more plastic so I trimmed some from the side brackets

Lay the trimmed bits over the split

Apply the soldering iron gently and melt the trim into the body of the tank

You should end up with something like this - it may look a little untidy but it seems that it can work if you melt enough additional plastic over the split.

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Pressure tank repair

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Good fix, wouldn't have thought of doing it that way, plus you've trialled it before sharing. It's tips like this that keeps them on the road.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Pressure tank repair

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
That appears to be a good cheap fix. 100 miles of running should be adequate to ascertain whether or not it will hold permanently. Glad to hear that it's been perfect so far.

Andrew.