Bonnet/wing panel gap

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
davboy
Car(s): Ford capri 2.8i

Bonnet/wing panel gap

Post by davboy »

A replacement bonnet and aftermarket wings have been fitted to my 2.8i as part of its restoration, and the car has now been painted and looks great.

The panel gap between one f the wings and the bonnet isn't the best, though acceptable.Given the wing has been fitted, I just wondered if there are any typical procedures to improve the panel gap - for instance running a slim metal fillet along the edge of the wing as it turns into the bonnet, and obviously filling and painting - or once the wing has been fitted, is it really a "done deal". In essence, just wondering if panel gaps can be "cosmetically" fettled once its all been put together.

Given the overall vast improvement i the car, I can live with it, but the better the car gets, the more I now look at the shortfalls!

Thanks and regards.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Bonnet/wing panel gap

Post by Peter-S »

I bodged a slim fillet on a pattern wing on my 2.0 which I got the garage to do properly when it was resprayed a couple of years later. Not sure how they did it but you can't tell its been fettled so it can be done.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
davboy
Car(s): Ford capri 2.8i

Re: Bonnet/wing panel gap

Post by davboy »

Many thanks for your reply.

Given the wonders some of these guys seem to be able to do with metaI work, I kind of thought something should be possible.

The car's going back into the bodyshop within the next few weeks and so I'll mention it to them.

As you say, it shouldn't be much more than a slim fillet along that edge of the wing; dressed-up, filled and then painted.

Best regards,

David.