Bonnet Spring and Latch

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Bonnet Spring and Latch

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

Well its been a few weeks since my last project on my "To Do" list as I have been refurbishing my garage over the last couple of weeks before and after work, so not really had a chance to get back onto the jobs need doing. Today I thought I would finally fit the new Bonnet spring and latch that I bought some time ago...a nice easy job to get me back on the jobs....I thought :shock:

Anyway here is a before pic...

Image20160412_155654 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160412_155710 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And after...

Image20160412_182343 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160412_182400 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Really does look better in the flesh than the picture I took slightly out of focus :lol:

Now, as said I thought this would be an easy enough job, but I had terrible trouble trying to get the bonnet to shut after fitting the new spring and landing spring (on the slam panel). The new landing spring was a slightly thinner gauge wire so I decided to refit the original one after giving it a good clean with wire wool and emery cloth. Even after refitting the original landing spring I was still having problems. Finally fiddled about with the position of the bonnet spring, as there is a fair bit of leeway on this so thought I had it sorted as he bonnet closed and stayed closed...till I took it for a test drive and got 5 metres before it popped open again :lol:

So reversed back into garage and re-adjusted the bonnet spring to the left slightly and it thankfully seems to have done the trick. Dropped the bonnet the last little bit and it slammed shut. Took it for a nice long test drive over some bumpy roads and its stayed closed....PHEW ! Will check it again tomorrow. This really was becoming one of those jobs that I wished I had not started as it was working fine before without a problem...until I decided to fiddle with it :lol:

Anyway the new spring, latch and refurbished landing spring really do look good. Another job ticked off...but just added another as I noticed a crack in the bonnet lip trim which I am sure you noticed in the pics :lol:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Bonnet Spring and Latch

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Anyway the new spring, latch and refurbished landing spring really look good
Hi Nick,
I agree, very smart indeed.
Nick, the bonnet might not be closing properly because the spring length is too short. Do you know that the length can be adjusted by turning the bit in the centre with a screwdriver? If you lengthen the spring too much, the bonnet leading edge will be too high, so turn the screw clockwise until the correct gap is achieved.

By the way, that was nice of the health club to donate a padded mat for your garage refurbishment project! :D

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hi chaps,

This really was becoming one of those jobs that I wished I had not started as it was working fine before without a problem...until I decided to fiddle with it
Refer to chart below -

Sorry Nick, couldn't resist that, I'm sure we have all been there so many times!

That car of yours is looking immaculate.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
By the way, that was nice of the health club to donate a padded mat for your garage refurbishment project! :D
Do they send those out to just anyone I wonder, looks handy! :D

It's either to use to kneel/crawl around on (I use Aldi gym mats), or as protection when opening the door (I use carpet). Which is it NIck?!
pbar

Post by pbar »

pbar wrote:
Addition: As well as the garage.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Nick, you keep adding more great things to my 'to-do' list, stop it ! :D
Thanks for telling it like it is, a fitting addition to your immaculate looking engine bay.
Rob
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote: very smart indeed.
Hi Andrew. Thanks mate. Brightens up the engine compartment nicely
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Nick, the bonnet might not be closing properly because the spring length is too short. Do you know that the length can be adjusted by turning the bit in the centre with a screwdriver? If you lengthen the spring too much, the bonnet leading edge will be too high, so turn the screw clockwise until the correct gap is achieved.
Thanks mate. I did adjust it a bit but I will check that gap again tomorro in case its a tad to long. If its staying shut and looks ok then I wont mess with it :)

All the best now

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Refer to chart below -

Sorry Nick, couldn't resist that, I'm sure we have all been there so many times!

:lol: Paul you will laugh but when it was not going to plan I thought of your chart and wished I had left it alone when it was fine albeit a bit "tired looking" :lol:

Thanks for your kind words too mate. Appreciate it. :)

Paul with regards to the health club padded mat that Andrew and yourself mentioned :lol: I use it for kneeling, and lying on. I did use it for door protection too but I have a padded picture frame I use at the monent but now I have refurbished the garage walls I want to fix something permanent to the wall. I did think of carpet too. There is also some padded strips you can buy too. I will let you know what I decide upon.

Thanks for the complinent on the garage too. It looks so much better and brighter. The shelves are great too. Am doing the floor in couple of weeks. Watch this space...

All the best mate

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Freelanderfan wrote:Nick, you keep adding more great things to my 'to-do' list, stop it ! :D
Thanks for telling it like it is, a fitting addition to your immaculate looking engine bay.
:lol: Thanks Rob.....or should I be saying :sorry: for adding to your To Do list :)

Rob, I was hopjng it went smoothly but it did anything but :lol: so thought I would share it. The landing spring was very tricky to remove too just as Andrew had warned me in a previous thread. I was getting myself into a "twist" :wave: with the bonnet spring but seem to have got it. You know when you adjust everything here and there so much your brain goes into meltdown !! I will check it again tomorro to see if it is sitting ok then adjust as Andrew has advised but if its staying shut I will leave it well alone !

Thanks again Rob

All the best

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
:lol: Paul you will laugh but when it was not going to plan I thought of your chart and wished I had left it alone when it was fine albeit a bit "tired looking" :lol:
Brilliant! :D The thing is, even though we know we shouldn't mess at times (as the chart shows), we still can't help it!
Fordoholic Nick wrote: I want to fix something permanent to the wall. I did think of carpet too.
A stretch of cartpet fixed to the wall with screws and washers works for me, very happy with that. Gives it some insulation too as a bonus :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:A stretch of cartpet fixed to the wall with screws and washers works for me, very happy with that. Gives it some insulation too as a bonus :)
Great tip Paul. Thanks.

Hmmm....we have a lovely thick rug on the floor in our lounge...I wonder if the missus will notice its "smaller" when she gets home tomorrow.....
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi.

I double checked the bonnet spring today with another test drive :D and everything seems fine. Open and closed it before setting off and looking fairly good with the gaps when closed so left it be. Bonnet is staying closed....phew ! Not something I wanted to be worrying about with Beaulieu fast approaching ! Not worth thinking about what would happen if it popped up while I am doing 90mph.... :lol: ok....69mph if I am feeling pumped up :)

All the best

Nick
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Where's your under bonnet insulation nick, why not use that to protect the doors.

Car is looking really good, I recently changed my front bonnet strip, it may be worth getting some new captivated fixings as they can shear off, refitting is also a bit fiddly so be prepared
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

brooky wrote:Where's your under bonnet insulation nick, why not use that to protect the doors.
Hi Mark,

I don't have the bonnet insulation for B112 AAT mate, its how the car was when I bought it and whilst I did have original plans to refit some I have kind of got used to it without now...and it shines up a treat with Autoglym :)

That's a great idea though to use it as a protection for the doors...if I had some :lol: I may pop up to b&q to see what they have... Insulation or padded strips of some kind ? I still like Pauls idea of using carpet so may but a thick pile floor mat and screw that to the wall. Whatever I decide upon I will pop up a quick post.
brooky wrote:Car is looking really good, I recently changed my front bonnet strip, it may be worth getting some new captivated fixings as they can shear off, refitting is also a bit fiddly so be prepared
Thanks Mark. Very nice of you to say mate. Re the bonnet strip I have been refurbishing this only today fella as it had a few splits in it. You can see one in the picture of the bonnet spring...I did not realise it was so obvious until I saw this picture :lol: I can see what you mean about the fixings though mate but thankfully all mine are in one piece. I will grease them when I refit it so hopefully its easy to remove in the future and less chance of them shearing. It looks much better now. I will leave it a day for the paint to harden proper but heres a quick pic

Image20160418_213117 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

New replacement ones are available but as they are quite costly I was very pleased the original one came up so well after I mended it :)

All the best Mark

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Image
:lol: Nice one Paul. I see your eagle eyes noticed my piggy bank in the background :)

Yep am an Arsenal supporter mate. Spent alot of the mid-late 90's travelling all over Blighty following them....when we were good !! I have had a season ticket for almost 20yrs now but more recently have shared it with a mate as due to work shifts and more Capri time at weekends now I just dont get there as much.

TBH Paul I much prefer my days off now tinkering with the Capri these days or getting along to a meet when I can :) Its much more rewarding than watching them play at the moment :lol:

All the best mate

Nick