OCF 280 Resto From Sm Classic Cars

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Re: OCF 280 Resto From Sm Classic Cars

Post by Bertie »

Awesome work and attention to detail (as usual) Steve, the owner must be well pleased with the work so far... :D

Des
TERRAGO46
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 280 Brooklands OCF 280 - previous owner

Post by TERRAGO46 »

Hi...couldn't resist contacting you as I owned OCF 280 for 9 years from 1994 to 2003 and had heard it was still going strong. I purchased the car from a guy in Bury St Edmunds( a real enthusiast) and it spent the next 9 years near Newcastle. I used it daily and even took it to France in 2000 as part of the 'Fast Ford' millennium tour and although the gearbox lay shaft disintegrated 3 days before I was due to go my good friend lent me and helped change the gearbox before we went and it performed superbly( he woned a Tickford at the time which he took but had a 'special' he was restoring).
Stuff I had done included a full, custom made exhaust system + 4 pot caliper conversion(from an Austin Princess)...Tarox discs, lowered and upgraded front springs, 'a' frame stabiliser(as the Tickford),10mm wheel spacers...it was fitted with a full Ford RS body kit when I bought it and couldn't justify removing the kit as there were holes in the bodywork to hold it in place...I did remove and waxoyl behind the kit...it had 11,500 miles on the clock when I bought...it was high 20,000's I think when I sold it.
I had the underside removed of underseal and repainted with 'Hammerite smoothrite' custom green(mixed to get close to the brooklands green)...it won a couple of local American car shows as best British car and was a lot of fun with the turbo technics 200 bhp performance...was great on slip roads!!!...I sold it as it was starting to show some rust in the front wings and I had the front end fully restored with new stripes and 280 badges.
It's great to see it's still 'alive'...it was even featured in 'Fast Ford' magazine in July 1997(I think that's the right edition)...I loved it and was sorry to see it go...I only lost £300 on what I paid for it...I look forward to seeing it when it's fully restored...all the best...John
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

TERRAGO46 wrote:Hi...couldn't resist contacting you as I owned OCF 280 for 9 years from 1994 to 2003 and had heard it was still going strong. I purchased the car from a guy in Bury St Edmunds( a real enthusiast) and it spent the next 9 years near Newcastle. I used it daily and even took it to France in 2000 as part of the 'Fast Ford' millennium tour and although the gearbox lay shaft disintegrated 3 days before I was due to go my good friend lent me and helped change the gearbox before we went and it performed superbly( he woned a Tickford at the time which he took but had a 'special' he was restoring).
Stuff I had done included a full, custom made exhaust system + 4 pot caliper conversion(from an Austin Princess)...Tarox discs, lowered and upgraded front springs, 'a' frame stabiliser(as the Tickford),10mm wheel spacers...it was fitted with a full Ford RS body kit when I bought it and couldn't justify removing the kit as there were holes in the bodywork to hold it in place...I did remove and waxoyl behind the kit...it had 11,500 miles on the clock when I bought...it was high 20,000's I think when I sold it.
I had the underside removed of underseal and repainted with 'Hammerite smoothrite' custom green(mixed to get close to the brooklands green)...it won a couple of local American car shows as best British car and was a lot of fun with the turbo technics 200 bhp performance...was great on slip roads!!!...I sold it as it was starting to show some rust in the front wings and I had the front end fully restored with new stripes and 280 badges.
It's great to see it's still 'alive'...it was even featured in 'Fast Ford' magazine in July 1997(I think that's the right edition)...I loved it and was sorry to see it go...I only lost £300 on what I paid for it...I look forward to seeing it when it's fully restored...all the best...John
Hello John, i`m pleased to see you`ve found the car again. I found your 2003 advert over 5yrs ago when I was researching the car http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62064 before buying it and thanks to a member on another forum remembering the car and it being in the mag I'm pleased to say I too have a copy of the 4page feature. It was over in Ireland for a few years before coming back to me in Leeds. Its only had two owners since you. Thanks for the insight into its history too. Me and Steve had wondered why it was smooth painted underneath. The A frame had gone but the brackets were left on the leafs and the Tarox and four pots are still alive. Frustratingly i`ve never had the chance to enjoy the car having only done 6miles collecting it before parking it up while I weathered the financial strain of a divorce and hanging on to the house etc. Thankfully i`ve come out the other side of that now but seem to work more and more with less and less time to get my hands on spanners so after lots of conversations and a few visits to Steve's workshop I was convinced (and still am) that it was going to be in safe hands. We're hoping it should be done sometime towards the end of summer into Autumn but it`ll be done when it`s done. I`d love to see some old photos of it if you have any. I live right next to the A1 so if you`re ever passing you`re more than welcome to pop in for a nosey when its done.
Regards Andy
TERRAGO46
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 280 Brooklands OCF 280 - previous owner

Post by TERRAGO46 »

Hi Andy...thanks for the reply...I'll dig out any photos I have...it also had a 'Ian Willacy' quickshift and was told it was the last 5 speed item they made and was a huge improvement from the original...I installed an upgraded clutch and pressure plate...the lowered front springs came from 'Peter Lloyd' racing and were 25mm lower with 30% stiffer coils...I also fitted electric windows which were second hand 'Unipart' units as fitted to the 'Tickford'...I look forward to a trip down 'memory lane' when it's done...I am currently onto my second Impreza WRX which was the nearest family car I could find with similar performance...the current car has just had it's 10th birthday...I've had it from new and has 33,500 miles on the clock...my next 'future classic'...regards...John
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

TERRAGO46 wrote:I am currently onto my second Impreza WRX which was the nearest family car I could find with similar performance...
Funny you should mention Subaru's....this GTB has been my daily for over 5yrs !!

Sorry Steve....i`ll stop hijacking your resto thread now :sorry:
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator
Car(s): many many capris

Post by elliecharlie2008 »

its nice to get a bit more info on the old girl pal lol

not had chance to update my threads as im manic but full of cold so thought i may aswell do it do it now whilst im sat with man flu lol

the brooklands is coming along nicely now ive repaired the floors and primed it with red oxide and put three coats of stone chip down im going to paint the underside back in light grey once all the welding is done
you will notice the drivers rear inner arch not done this is rotton and im awaiting a replacement
ive fitted two new sills i had to wait for them too as the new pressings that were being made were a terrible fit but i managed to persuade them to make the pressings that they have been doing for years again so that took a little longer but the fit is so much better
ive replaced the strut top and the reinforcement panel along with the drip rail and top of the headlight bowl and the upper triangular support drivers side
both lower door jambs have been replaced and again primed with red oxide
passenger rear arch and inner arch are all done along with the inner and outer rear lower corner
ive got the drivers rear inner and outer arch to do(waiting on the inner)
ive bare metaled the drivers rear arch today and primed just got the roof to do and thats the shell ticked of for bare metal

once the bits arrive i can get them welded in and finish of the stone chip and paint the under side and send her of for paint

steve
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

steve
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

Image]

steve
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

massively behind with my updates on here ill upload some more of the before when i get a sec but whilst catching up with another one of my threads thought is would add some of this one
shes now back at my unit and all painted now it was a mamouth task to sort this one the amount of bodges on the car over the years was un real but we got there in the end going to start putting her back together next week ish
at the min i have 14 capris in for full restos so its a bit manic lol
but heres some piccys for now hope you like

steve