Project Dash, facia and Radio- Updated Pictures 22/2/16

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Project Dash, facia and Radio- Updated Pictures 22/2/16

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

As title says I have just spent the weekend replacing the dash, facia and radio...not without the invaluable help from John (taff50ish) :)

We did not get cracking with the job till fairly late on Sat in the end so we did really well to get it all done by this evening. Just want to thank John once again for all his help and for wiring in the radio cassette. No surprise we hit a few snags on the way but that's what old cars are for :lol: A couple of them put us back a bit but we persevered at it with truly fantastic results.

The old dash came out pretty easy as did the old Audioline Radio Cassette I have had in the Laser since I bought it. I know back in the days it was a decent "upgrade" to make :o :shock: but I was very happy to see it being removed to make way for the ESRT32PS Radio Cassette :D

Anyway just a few pics...

Instrument panel and radio all out, old dash still in
Image20160220_152700 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160220_154701 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160220_154713 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160220_155849 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

My speedo was faulty as the needle was loose but could not be fixed
Image20160221_154321 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So we replaced it with a spare one I had from another instrument cluster...lower mileage but will declare this of course
Image20160221_154922 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

New dash, facia and ESRT32PS all fitted and looking and working great...
Image20160221_181508 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Looks stunning at night now :)
Image20160221_181453 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So just a reminder this is how it looked before with the Audioline Radio Cassette and old facia (with red rings painted)
Image20160210_171120 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

And this is it now with the new dash, plain black facia and the stunning esrt32ps radio cassette
Image20160221_181514 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160221_193332 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

We still have a couple of teeny bits to finish it all off but boy I am over the moon with the transformation. It looks so much better now. I wont appreciate it fully till I get home from wprk tomorrow and see it when it is still daylight. Apologies for the pics in the dark but I will take some more tomorrow in the light so you can see it a bit better. John was such a massive help to me again this weekend and it was back braking work spent most of the time at all sorts of angles trying to get things to fit and work...but we got there. and boy was it worth it :D

Cheers John :cheers:

Anyhow I hope you enjoyed the few snaps. Its only a few as we were so busy there was no time to be taking pics step by step :lol:

All the best

Nick

PS As you can see in the first few pics taken on Sat I had to roll my Capri out into the pouring rain for the whole day so we could work on it properly. John had to entice me out of the garage as I did not want to "come out" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Project Dash, facia and Radio

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
PS As you can see in the first few pics taken on Sat I had to roll my Capri out into the pouring rain for the whole day so we could work on it properly. John had to entice me out of the garage as I did not want to "come out" :lol: :lol: :lol:
That would have ruined my whole weekend mate :swear: :banghead: :doh:

Good job done though (That John is a great bloke) :D Looking forward to seeing it May 1st :D

Andy
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
So we replaced it with a spare one I had from another instrument cluster...lower mileage but will declare this of course
I enjoyed looking at the pics Nick, it's scary isn't it when you have the dash to bits and all the wires and internal organs are spewing out! I've had mine apart a couple of times, changed the rev counter, etc. scary stuff :D

Just for info, what happens as regards to the new speedo then? Do you keep the mileage that the new one has, I always thought that it can be adjusted to match the old one? Just wondering.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Nick.

Looking forward to seeing the pic's in day light mate. Also, that Fruit Cake Mrs F made was fantastic! Thanks for that and please pass on my thanks to Mrs F too?

Just answer a quick question if you don't mind. We've taken photographic evidence of the Speedo Swap, before and after. Then we used to wright on the current MOT Cert what the milage was and is now showing. Then when you go for the next MOT. You take this with you and hand it over, then they do the notification for you. When ever in the long and distant past, when messing about with old speedo's we could never get the digits to line up if we messed with them, so you could try a Drill??? But it takes a long time! I suspect!!!! Cheers for now.

John....
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thank you John, I just wondered what happened when you swap a speedo like that. So, I assume that from that point onwards, after declaration, the MOT will show the 'new' speedo reading will it?

Neat trick about the drill!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:That would have ruined my whole weekend mate :swear: :banghead: :doh:

Good job done though (That John is a great bloke) :D Looking forward to seeing it May 1st :D
Cheers Andy,

Mate for a min I think John thought I really actually would not roll the Capri out into the rain but I thought I had better as he did give up his weekend to help me...it would have been rude of me :lol:

Great working alongside John picking up invaluable tips along the way.

Yep praying to God we get good weather May 1st Andy. Really looking forward to meeting with yourself again and everyone else who can attend :)

All the best mate

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:
I enjoyed looking at the pics Nick, it's scary isn't it when you have the dash to bits and all the wires and internal organs are spewing out! I've had mine apart a couple of times, changed the rev counter, etc. scary stuff :D
Thanks Paul.

Mate at one stage we had wires dangling everywhere, tools here, screwdivers there and bits of trim spread about....but I would not have changed it for anything :)

As already said great working alongside John. I think I would have had a panic attack seeing all the trim stripped right back if I was doing it on my own for first time but now we done it, it is not so daunting...not that I have plans to do it again in the near future Paul :)

All the best

Nick
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Thank you John, I just wondered what happened when you swap a speedo like that. So, I assume that from that point onwards, after declaration, the MOT will show the 'new' speedo reading will it?

Neat trick about the drill!
Certain that's correct.....
Heard of the drill trick years ago :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Really looking forward to meeting with yourself again and everyone else who can attend :)

All the best mate

Nick
:agree: :D
Was the 42000 miles on the old clock genuine miles?

Andy
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Nick,
The dash and radio cassette looks great...... I think you might have just kicked off the revival of the cassette tape after this post http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/22/calling-a ... k-5710233/

Can't wait for Simply Ford now to see all the improvements :)

All the best
Neil
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:Hi Nick,
The dash and radio cassette looks great...... I think you might have just kicked off the revival of the cassette tape after this post http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/22/calling-a ... k-5710233/

All the best
Neil
About time too, I never leave home without one :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
What fantastic work carried out by you and John. I look forward to seeing the improvements myself at Simply Ford.

Your old fascia, with the red dial surrounds, looks like it's from a GT4. Quite sought after by owners of that model, I'd imagine.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
By the way, the fruit cake sounds delicious! Are you bringing one to Simply Ford in May? :D

Andrew.

PS. I'm still getting over the shock of seeing your car out in the rain!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote:Was the 42000 miles on the old clock genuine miles?
Hi Andy, unfortunately I think it would be a miracle if this was true.... sadly. My Capri has been through 8 previous owners so I think the clock may have been played with a few times "back in the days" The service history was very patchy when I bought it Andy so the genuine mileage is anyones guess mate but its not doing too bad for its age and along the way it has seen some TLC so its not been completely thrashed :) Most importantly its found a good home with me now after its hard life. It will have a nice gentle life with me :wave:
sheff wrote:The dash and radio cassette looks great...... I think you might have just kicked off the revival of the cassette tape after this post http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/22/calling-a ... k-5710233/
Cheers Neil. I popped down this afternoon when I got home and took a few more "daylight" pics so I will post them immediately after this post.
sheff wrote:Can't wait for Simply Ford now to see all the improvements :)
Yep, I really looking forward to it too Neil. Cant believe how fast is seems to be coming around now. Be great to meet up with some familiar faces and hopefully some new faces too...and everyones fantastic Capri's too of course :D

Cheers

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:What fantastic work carried out by you and John. I look forward to seeing the improvements myself at Simply Ford.
Hi Andrew.

Thanks mate :) Was a very enjoyable weekend even when we hit the snags ! I still have the old dash facia mate. Looks a bit sad with the cut out but yep as you say someone may find a use for it. Definitely wont chuck it...want another Capri owner to make use of it. Might put it up here soon to see if anyone is interested.

Andrew Simply Ford is gonna be superb this year if we can all attend...even if rain keeps a couple of Capri's at home ( :wave: :) ) but I will be there for sure. We all been very busy working on our Capri's so as you say it will be great to catch up on what everyones been up to...you included :D
Andrew 2.8i wrote:By the way, the fruit cake sounds delicious! Are you bringing one to Simply Ford in May? :D
Hmmm....I will see what I can rustle up Andrew...ermm I mean what Mrs F can rustle up ;) ;) ;)
Andrew 2.8i wrote:PS. I'm still getting over the shock of seeing your car out in the rain!
:lol: Mate John had to wave a copy of Classic Ford on the end of a pole in front of my windscreen to entice me out of my dry garage into all that "wet stuff" :shock:...but I have to say the sacrifice was most certainly worth it !

All the best Andrew

Nick

PS Thanks for your little guide you sent me re removing the dash. I did study it and refer to it a couple of times :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Thanks for your little guide you sent me re removing the dash. I did study it and refer to it a couple of times :)
Hi Nick,
I'm glad it helped you out. I probably forgot a load of stuff, it's been over a year since I took my dash out. You and John figured it all out though! :D

The dash and the new radio really do look the biz. 8-)

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi chaps,

I managed to get down to the Capri after work this afternoon to take a few more pics in the daylight this time so you can see it a bit better. Here goes....

Image20160222_162637 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162645 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162651 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162757 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162601 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162616 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162808 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_162815 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20160222_154636 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Sorry if I got a bit carried away with the pics. I did promise John that I would post up some better ones this afternoon. The dash is black and the under trim is still grey. Am possibly gonna spray that up black to match but it don't actually look that bad at all as it is. I know its not the standard Laser trim colour but hey I bought the Capri already with "S" Fishnets fitted :)

All the best now

Nick
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Nick,

WOW!!! I recon you did a Good Job refurbishing that Dash fella. I can't get over how good it looks in the Day Light, which we missed out on last night!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Absolute pleasure to help out. Especially for the 'Fruit Cake', really nice, thanks!!! Yes Andrew, I recon you should get your order in now for the Cake for Simply Ford mate!!! I know I will.... :xd: :lol: :xd:

Just Project :drive: left to swap out now??? (Steering Wheel...)

As to the Rain on Sat, I'm sure the Capri loved it, a trip down memory lane for it!!! Cheers for now Nick, all the very best till next time, or a few :beer: :beer: :beer: instead... Cheers,

John...
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Re: Project Dash, facia and Radio- Updated Pictures 22/2/16

Post by Bertie »

Looks great Nick well done you two, nice to see your work paying off in spades, lovely job...... :applaud:

Des
CapriLee
Car(s): Currently S1 RS turbo. Looking to buy a 2.8i capri.

Re: Project Dash, facia and Radio- Updated Pictures 22/2/16

Post by CapriLee »

Looks fantastic mate