Boot Liners Removal and Painted

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Boot Liners Removal and Painted

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

I been meaning to tidy up my boot for a while now so thought I would start with the side boot liners. Jeepers I never thought it involved quite as much to remove them completely but thought if a job needs doing then do it proper. I had juggled with the idea of tidying them up whist in situ but soon came to my senses. Did not get cracking on it till mid afternoon and I forgot to charge up my mobile :doh: so due to low power I was only able to take a couple of pics. :sorry:

For anyone thinking of removing the liners then this is how I did it.

Remove rear seat cushion ( 2 screws)
Remove rear quarter window trim ( 4 screws I think)
Remove front seat belt mount fixing ( one bolt)
Remove upright trim "B Pillar" I think its called...please correct me ( 3 screws)
Remove rear door card armrest ...this must be done (2 screws)
Prise the door seal away exposing the edge of rear door card tucked inside
Remove rear door card (remove the single fixing screw bottom left first) by carefully prising away. I found I had to unscrew the first two screws holdind the carpet retainer trim so I could pull this out of the way a bit as the door card trim material was sort of tucked under.
Remove the rear seat belt mount fixing behind top of rear seat ( one bolt)
Remove the seat release/fold down lever plastic knob (pulls off)

Once all the above is done you should now be able to see how the liner itself pulls out.

Remove the 10 self tappers holdoing the boot liner trim in place.

Now for the fun bit...trying to remove the trim as it sort of wraps itself around a few things so a simple "pull out" is not really the case. Its more of a jiggle here and pull there then hey presto its out...in one piece hopefully :)

Anyway I decided to remove mine as it was really well soiled from years of use so this is probably the first time its been out for a longgggggggg time :lol: I was actually pleasantly surprised to find it in pretty good order "behind the trim liner" as its always a nervous time to look where you have not looked before, but apart from a bit of usual old dirt and dust all looked pretty well. So as Mrs Fordoholic Nick was at work ;) I decided to bring the liners up to my paint booth...ermm sorry lounge to paint them up.

Using good old Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint Dark Grey and the Halfords Paint Can Trigger Gun I bought recently I sprayed up the liners. Never used this paint on anything near as big as this so was really happy with the results. As I had no Lynx this time I sprayed the lounge full of Brut Deodrant to "disguise" the smell of the paint before the missus got home. Sort of worked too :)

Anyway just a couple of snaps this time as I said my phone was running out of juice till I got back up to the flat...

Before complete removal (left side liner)
Image20160218_155911 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Cleaned and prepared right side liner just before spraying. You can hopefully see the marks and it looked a lot more "soiled" than this pic shows...
Image20160218_173314 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

After spraying...right side liner
Image20160218_180828 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Very happy with the results indeed.

Now tomorrow morning I just need to get it all back in the car in one piece :shock:

Hope you found this of interest. I know its in the manual how to remove but just thought I would post this anyway :)

I will tidy up the rest of the boot area next. Maybe some nice new carpet :D Watch this space. Hope I have not droned on too much now :sleepy:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Boot Liners Removal and Painted

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Fantastic work, nice one! Judging by the photos, the Halfords paint looks to be identical in colour to the original finish of the trim. It doesn't look like they've been painted at all.
Did you do both trim pieces, or is the driver's side a job for another day?

Andrew.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Hi Nick

That's turned out great buddy well done... You've got some bottle spraying in the house :D

Des
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Chaps.

Thanks very much indeed :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Did you do both trim pieces, or is the driver's side a job for another day?
Hi Andrew, yes fella also removed and painted the drivers side with same results. And yes the Dark Grey is a very good match indeed. Very pleased.
Bertie wrote:That's turned out great buddy well done... You've got some bottle spraying in the house :D
Cheers Des.

Yep I was definately pushing my luck spraying in the lounge this time Des but every window and door was open. The result was worth it though mate. Just going down this morning to fit it all back in to the Capri :shock:

All the best guys

Nick
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

That's looking really good nick, didn't realise how handy the halfords spray was. I think they'll have to thank you for increased sales for vinyl paint as you're a good advertisement :D
Cheers,
Rob
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Freelanderfan wrote:That's looking really good nick, didn't realise how handy the halfords spray was. I think they'll have to thank you for increased sales for vinyl paint as you're a good advertisement :D
Thanks Rob.

Managed to fit it all back in today and the liners have made a vast improvement on my very "tired" looking boot area. I am well happy with the results. Mate that Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint has become part of my life now. Its brilliant stuff and really is a decent match with the grey trim. I gonna do the whole of the under dash trim with it next...better get back up to Halfords next week to pick up some more !

I might even ask the missus if I can paint the bathroom suit with it...should look cool and will match my boot liners :lol:

All the best Rob

Nick
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Mate they look good, have they come up as good as new?

Regards
Mark
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Mate they look good, have they come up as good as new?
Hi Mark,

Thanks fella. Yep they really did come up "as new" or as new as something over 30yrs can be :lol:

Seriously though Mark they have transformed my boot completely. Will be whipping out the footwell side kick panels to paint up this week. Will post up pics of results as these are pretty soiled !

Its the Dark Grey you want to get Mark

All the best

Nick
ESSEXV6ESSEX

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Mate they look good, have they come up as good as new?
Hi Mark,

Thanks fella. Yep they really did come up "as new" or as new as something over 30yrs can be :lol:

Seriously though Mark they have transformed my boot completely. Will be whipping out the footwell side kick panels to paint up this week. Will post up pics of results as these are pretty soiled !

Its the Dark Grey you want to get Mark

All the best

Nick
Nice one, I'm after Black and Brown but I will see what I can get, even another make. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Mark
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Nice one, I'm after Black and Brown but I will see what I can get, even another make. Will let you know how I get on.
Mark the Halfords Black is just as good mate. Same results. I painted an old grey speaker shelf with the Black Flexible Vinyl and it really did come up like new and only needed three fine coats to transform it from grey to black. It still kept the grain effect of the material so did not look like it had been painted at all.

Good Luck fella

All the best

Nick
ESSEXV6ESSEX

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Nice one, I'm after Black and Brown but I will see what I can get, even another make. Will let you know how I get on.
Mark the Halfords Black is just as good mate. Same results. I painted an old grey speaker shelf with the Black Flexible Vinyl and it really did come up like new and only needed three fine coats to transform it from grey to black. It still kept the grain effect of the material so did not look like it had been painted at all.

Good Luck fella

All the best

Nick
Cheers mate I'll get the clunk's out and some panel wipe and give em a go.

Cheers
Mark