dash repair

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: dash repair

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
I've tried (almost) every product available to try to restore discoloured dashboard material, but nothing seems to work. I hope Rob keeps us posted with details if his attempt to repaint is successful. If it turns out even half as good as Nick's repair, I'm sure he'll be pleased.
Thought I'd show you my attempt at using the halfords vinyl spray on my dash. Like you Andrew, I tried all manner of cleaning products on it to no success at all. The dash has been accumulating dust in the body shop for the past year (& the past 30 in the car..) You can see how patchy the colour was in the first picture;

Gave the entire dash 5 light coats of vinyl spray & its come up looking like new. Obviously took the finished shots under electric light so it looks more shiny (& darker) than it actually is. Coverage goes on well, took Nicks advice using light coats & built up colour gradually;

Well pleased with results. As soon as I figure out the mess of radio wiring I can refit it along with ford radio & uncut dash.

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Good Luck Rob. Hope it turns out ok for you.
It did Nick. Cheers for the initial post :cheers:
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

That's turned out great Rob and it's no doubt a fix I will use at some point in the future .... :D

Des
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Freelanderfan wrote:Thought I'd show you my attempt at using the halfords vinyl spray on my dash
Hi Rob,

WOW ! Thats stunning fella. What a result !! No wonder you are well pleased...it really looks like new . Nice one Rob ! Thanks for posting up the pics too.

I got plans to spray my under trim with the dark grey flexible vinyl paint next Rob as its a bit faded and dirty. I ordered 3 cans of it and got a call today from Halfords today letting me know its arrived !

Rob I am really pleased your dash has turned out so stunning. Its gonna look superb when you fit it back in your Capri ! Keep up the great work fella :)

All the best

Nick

PS Did you use one of those Halfords spray gun triggers to apply the paint ?
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
A really good job, the dash looks perfect now. Well done to you and Nick for showing what can be achieved.

Andrew
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Thanks for your comments guys, just thought I'd show how good a result you can get from the dark grey on the dash top. Nick, if you colour the lower dash panels let us know how it turns out & yes mate I used the spray gun trigger, it's a simple affair but makes the can much more controllable, cheers for the tip.
All the best,
Rob
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Rob,
A really good job, the dash looks perfect now. Well done to you and Nick for showing what can be achieved.

Andrew
:agree: Great job :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Freelanderfan wrote: Nick, if you colour the lower dash panels let us know how it turns out
Yes Rob will do fella.

Having looked at your dash again it really is superb Rob. What a great job you did there !

My repair to my dash is ok but not perfect :) One day I want a 100% mint dash...one day...one day...one day.... :sleepy: :sleepy: ...somewhere over the rainbow.......
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: ...somewhere over the rainbow.......
I wondered why it's raining :)