Fox's Capri

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fox
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII Laser 1.6 (First car, daily driver)

Fox's Capri

Post by Fox »

Hey guys,

So this tread is going to be my project log of my journey learning how to work on cars, electrics and engines, but first a bit of background on myself and my Capri.

Background on the Capri and I (It gets abit deep):
My names Jack, I'm 22, and I'm from Ireland. I feel in love with the Capri when I first seen one in Kells about 6 years ago when I was just finishing school, it was a yellow one with 2 black strips going through the town. It was so loud and mean looking it was everything I wanted in a car, something old looking with a face and character, not like most cars now a-days where nearly every car looks the same, you notice a Capri coming a mile away. I knew when I seen it I wanted one and I promised myself the first car I buy with my own money would be a MK3 Capri.

Some time passes and some crap happened over the years with me and a group of people from the college I went to, long story short I've been bullied since I was in 1st class (6 years old) and it only really stopped in the past year or so I use to get it in person, on Facebook, Twitter they'd even get my number and call me and text me. The bulling has caused me to develop cryonic anxiety and depression. I can't take any tablets for it as they just make it worse. I'll have my days where I'm all happy-go-lucky to days where I really don't want to be around.

So one day dad and I went for a coffee after I had a huge breakdown in the middle of work and dad was talking about me getting a car like a micra or a golf so I went onto done deal and had a look around for a golf, a nice little 1.6 and I seen the prices and I was thinking hmm I wonder how much a Capri is. Every few months I look at them and there either to dear, there's none for sale or I'm broke. So I seen this one,it had been in storage and was in a Porsche collectors garage along with some other beautiful cars. So I made a call to the guy and asked if I could have a look at it and I explained I just want to see it as I never been that close to a Capri before. We went to his garage only about 10 minutes from my house but google maps brought us arse ways, it nearly took us a hour to get there going down roads that nearly ripped the front my dads Saab 93 off.

The guy was very nice to dad and I and he was actually surprised that I knew so much about the car, we were there for about 2 hours looking at the car and his collection. We left the guys garage and as we left I said to dad "can I make a offer on it" dad said "don't waste a mans time" I said ok. So I on the home I was talking to dad about how I reckon I could get it and a plan for the car so its not just sitting up the drive till I'm 23 (Irish insurers wont insure anyone on a vintage till their 23) Dad said fuck it ring him and don't go over €2500 so I made the call and we threw offers back and forward and I got it for €2650, not a bad deal considering how little had to go into the car and what he wanted for the car, the cars 98% there just needs the hood repainted as the paint lifted, and the fact that it helps my anxiety and depression knowing that I got my dream car for my first car and I own it. If I feel anyway down I just work on the car, detail it, even just sit in it and start it up, even my friends have seen a difference in me. In a way this car has saved my life hence why I don't mind going over the top either it as I will never sell it. Even if I cant afford the car ill just take it off the road and put her on blocks.

So that's basically how the Capri came around...

The plan for the Capri:

So the plan for the Capri is get her stripped down back to metal and then any rust that's hiding have it repaired and then a brand new lick of red and black paint put onto her with all new custom decals. The car will be red with black side mirrors, grill and light bezels, Ill tint the windows and I'm thinking about removing the car radio aerial and putting a new aerial that i can stick to the rear windscreen or even a shark fin.

This is my capri at the moment...

The car will follow this style...

After the body is %110 then the real fun starts its onto building up the 2.0 pinto which will replace the stock 1.6 which ill build a crate for and store in the garage. the 2,0 will be stripped down and rebuilt by myself with a weber 38 carb, either a kent FR30 or maybe a Kent FR32 I don't really take the car up past 6000 RPM much so I don't know if I want the low end torque or the fast road cam, kent pulley , and a stage 3 cylinder head. So once I have a body that's 110% and the engine is running sweet as a nut then is onto the suspension and tracking. Suspension wise I'll be going with Gaz adjustable coilovers in the front and Gaz rear dampers also add a 1 inch lower block to the rear and single leaf springs with a axle location kit.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Re: Fox's Capri

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Jack,

:welcome:

Welcome fella. Looks like you've got a Cracking Capri there, a really sold base for your plans. Once you've finished it and your on the road, you'll be going out of your way, looking for the long way round to your destination, a bit like going to look at this before you got it. You'll get loads of help on here if you get stuck at any point. I look forward to seeing the progress as you get bits done. All the best of luck with it, cheers,

John...
Fox

Post by Fox »

Taff40ish wrote:Hey Jack,

:welcome:

Welcome fella. Looks like you've got a Cracking Capri there, a really sold base for your plans. Once you've finished it and your on the road, you'll be going out of your way, looking for the long way round to your destination, a bit like going to look at this before you got it. You'll get loads of help on here if you get stuck at any point. I look forward to seeing the progress as you get bits done. All the best of luck with it, cheers,

John...
Thanks very much John. I already started doing work to the car painted the grill and light bezels black and installed some E36 projector lights and I must say I love the mean look they give it.

I've already learnt so much for the community here and I love learning about the car most of my friends think tuning it just messing with a laptop but i want to be that guy that knows the ins and out of how a entire car works and how to tune carbs.

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Jack,
You've fitted the BMW lights then? Looks fantastic, and I bet the difference between before and after is night and day! :sorry:
It sounds like you've got a lot of great plans for the future too. Please keep us updated with progress.

Andrew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Jack,
You've fitted the BMW lights then? Looks fantastic, and I bet the difference between before and after is night and day! :sorry:
It sounds like you've got a lot of great plans for the future too. Please keep us updated with progress.

Andrew.
Yeah Andrew I did the problem was my loom had a few breaks in it that dads friend sorted for me and now they work 100%

I'll keep all you's updated have a few little jobs to do when it's in the body shop to make it my own.

Oh and I will be petting into practice what I learnt from your metal polishing and zinc coating posts make the engine bay all shiny :rice:

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Jack,

Great job done there fella. Often thought about going the BMW Headlight route myself, but just can't make my mind up. Mellow Yellow (Ian.) has done this too, I was chatting with him last Year about his conversion up at the Capri Nationals Day... It does look a cracking job and somehow really suits (In my opinion and obviously yours too....) the Capri Front End...

Looking forward to the next Up-Date, all the very best,

John....
Fox

Post by Fox »

Taff40ish wrote:Hey Jack,

Great job done there fella. Often thought about going the BMW Headlight route myself, but just can't make my mind up. Mellow Yellow (Ian.) has done this too, I was chatting with him last Year about his conversion up at the Capri Nationals Day... It does look a cracking job and somehow really suits (In my opinion and obviously yours too....) the Capri Front End...

Looking forward to the next Up-Date, all the very best,

John....
Do it... It looks so much better then I thought and the light they shine is omg it's like day light... They set of the front for the car nicely and give it a mean look I think... I'm going to put up a how to later in the week with pictures, measurements and wiring :sleepy:

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)