MK3 work in progress

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
StubbyPete
Car(s): Modified 2.0 Laser.

MK3 work in progress

Post by StubbyPete »

A long standing project that is now on the road but still needs a bit of tidying, paint and a few minor interior trim parts that were lost during the project.

The car will be blue, as the engine bay. Recaro cloth interior, which could do with a retrim is fitted with new black headlining and carpet.

Now the interesting bits:
Fors Focus ST170 engine controlled by a stand alone Omex Technology ecu, with a Motorsport Electronics piggy back for the variable cam control.
Custom made aluminium plenum attached to independent throttle bodies.
Forced induction from an Eaton M62 supercharger is switchable (currently controlled by throttle position with an "arming" switch). The compressed air is cooled by an intercooler out of a Saab 9-3, used because it has entry and exit on the same side.
Drive is transferred to the rear axle via a Mazda RX8 6 speed gearbox and carbon fibre prop shaft.

Huge grins every time I drive it and the whine from the supercharger is not what I would call "subtle"!!

Next jobs are new exhaust system headlight upgrade to BMW e30, 4 link the rear suspension to give a better ride and traction with coilovers and paint.Image

I'll add some more pics soon.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: MK3 work in progress

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
StubbyPete wrote:I'll add some more pics soon.
Great, I look forward to seeing them as it looks like an interesting project.
I have seen an engine conversion like this on Retrorides, but that one used a smaller Eaton M45 instead. The conversion looks like a lot of hard work, fair play for having the patience to see it through.... :D
I have to say that it doesn't surprise me that you have a huge grin every time you drive the car! Fantastic.

All the best,
Andrew.
johnd444wph
Car(s): 2.0laser 86

Re: MK3 work in progress

Post by johnd444wph »

Hi mate what starter motor did you use and flywheel /clutch , and bearing ??