Ford Capri Mk2 future project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
kikov
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk2

Ford Capri Mk2 future project

Post by kikov »

Hi all,
I`m new to the forum and I have been reading all the different projects and all the cool stuff you guys have been doing with your cars for a while.
So there is my story: My dad have had an Mk 2 Capri /not sure what year/ since before I was born. When I was small boy he did repair it and it was drivable for a while. Years were passing by and the car was stationed for quite a long time / maybe 10 or even more years / staying on the ground in the back yard rotting in the rain and so on.

My plans for the summer are to start working on it since all the project cars I`ve seen here took at least 1-2 years to be finished. It is the 1.6 engine / no idea what HP / but I was thinking of swaping it with 2.0 16v Scorpio engine. in that school of toughts I was thinking of buying a whole donor car and use it as much as it could possibly we could do that. the body of the car is quite rotten but that won`t be a problem since my dad is a mechanic. The biggest problem will probably be time and money since I`m a student in Germany and I`m originally from Bulgaria :P

I cannot show you any pics for now but I would like to hear your oppinion on that buying a Scorpio donor car and how much could that car be exploited to "update" the Capri / not only engine but brakes, suspentions etc./ If there are any questions / suggestions I would like to hear from more you guys.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Ford Capri Mk2 future project

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Hopefully, you'll get answers to all your questions from the members on this friendly forum.

What a fantastic car to have to restore , and it sounds like a great project for you and your father to work on together, although I suspect it may involve a lot of work to get it back to it's former glory.
It's a pity that you can't upload any photos, as we'd all like to see the car. Anyway, please keep us up to date with progress with the work.

I don't know too much about the Scorpio engine, but have you considered using a 2.0 Pinto instead? It's a straight swap with the 1.6, and is very tuneable if you need more power in the future.

Good luck with the restoration,
Andrew.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Good luck. If it is rotten it is alot of hard work.
I have been working on my own for the past 3 years from when i bought it. It was not rotten but still only having one day a week has taken me 3 years just to get it to a point where i need to prep for paint.
Be patient, don't give up and you will get there.
Will :)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
kikov
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk2

Post by kikov »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Hopefully, you'll get answers to all your questions from the members on this friendly forum.

What a fantastic car to have to restore , and it sounds like a great project for you and your father to work on together, although I suspect it may involve a lot of work to get it back to it's former glory.
It's a pity that you can't upload any photos, as we'd all like to see the car. Anyway, please keep us up to date with progress with the work.

I don't know too much about the Scorpio engine, but have you considered using a 2.0 Pinto instead? It's a straight swap with the 1.6, and is very tuneable if you need more power in the future.

Good luck with the restoration,
Andrew.
The 2.0 Pinto will be very hard for me to find... Capri`s are quite rare back home if not non-existent. I believe the 2.0 16V Scorpio won`t be so hard to be fitted but there are some other problems with the diff if I remember correctly from what my dad have told me one of the axles is comming off while driving. So we might end up of changing quite a lot of things I just hope the donor Scorpio will be similar as much as it could be :?: :!: :!:
Will01 wrote:Good luck. If it is rotten it is alot of hard work.
I have been working on my own for the past 3 years from when i bought it. It was not rotten but still only having one day a week has taken me 3 years just to get it to a point where i need to prep for paint.
Be patient, don't give up and you will get there.
Will :)
Yeah I know it`s a lot of work but that`s what basically my dad has been doing for 25+ years: fixing 2-nd hand cars that were imported and repairing cars after crashes and painting them. I`ll dedicate my summer vacation / around 2 months / and I know that it would probably takes 2 or 3 times more.

For pictures I`ll try to ask my sister to take some ... altough the doors and the bonnet/hood are off of the car. There are a few Capris on the bulgarian Ford forum and will probably post all that I`m posting here once I start working on ...

Cheers, Krasimir.