Capri V8 Project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Eurostang
Car(s): MK3 Capri V8 (Project)
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)
Laguna II GT 205 (Daily super-bus)

Capri V8 Project

Post by Eurostang »

Hi all,

After moving to a new home and now having a garage I figure it's time to finally attempt what I've always wanted, a V8 in my Capri!

The bike carb & cam was great fun but left me wanting more, and the bodywork is starting to look tired so I'm going to tie in fitting new wings, fully painting the car while the engine is out.

Please bear in mind I'm no mechanic and this is purely a hobby so I'm destined to make some stupid decisions and will probably end up asking for help with quite a few things!

I've actually started the project in October, here are some photos and videos of the project from then onwards;

A few videos from this update:

Watch my V8 Capri Project on YouTube! [url]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WZv_Ps/url]

"Nothing better than seeing your own car next to you"
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Re: Capri V8 Project

Post by MattMe »

Looks like a good project :)

I've had 3.9 Rover V8 running a 4 barrel Holly carb, and it was lots of fun in a Capri I can assure you that. Yeah, they don't have loads of BHP, but they do have plenty of torque for a Capri. That along with all the other things you mentioned - light, cheap, availability, parts etc etc. Not really a sound financial investment to tune them, other than boring out or using stroker kits. But above all they sound awesome :twisted:

As for mounting, you could just weld up something to drop it on the standard cross member mounts pretty easy. Not sure about sump clearances though.
Make sure it's as close to the back of the 'bay as you can get it. Have you considered what you're going to do with the tunnel? I think most conversions would have cut out the top of the tunnel to get the block as close to the bulkhead as possible and cater for the 'box. Never seen an RX-8 'box, so can't comment on how they would fit, but I assume you'll use a standard bellhousing?
Not sure what the model is but my box was from an SD1. Was nice and clicky, just welded a new stick for it so the knob was where I wanted it.

As for PAS, you could either do exactly as you said and get a 2.8 rack or just drop the pump from the engine and get a shorter belt. Might be a quicker/easier way than faffing on with new racks etc.

I think if you've got the time and patience, and someone to show you the ropes, learning to weld will be an invaluable skill. I wish I'd spent more time learning it personally.

Good luck with it all and keep us up to date :)
Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

MattMe wrote:Looks like a good project :)

I've had 3.9 Rover V8 running a 4 barrel Holly carb, and it was lots of fun in a Capri I can assure you that. Yeah, they don't have loads of BHP, but they do have plenty of torque for a Capri. That along with all the other things you mentioned - light, cheap, availability, parts etc etc. Not really a sound financial investment to tune them, other than boring out or using stroker kits. But above all they sound awesome :twisted:

As for mounting, you could just weld up something to drop it on the standard cross member mounts pretty easy. Not sure about sump clearances though.
Make sure it's as close to the back of the 'bay as you can get it. Have you considered what you're going to do with the tunnel? I think most conversions would have cut out the top of the tunnel to get the block as close to the bulkhead as possible and cater for the 'box. Never seen an RX-8 'box, so can't comment on how they would fit, but I assume you'll use a standard bellhousing?
Not sure what the model is but my box was from an SD1. Was nice and clicky, just welded a new stick for it so the knob was where I wanted it.

As for PAS, you could either do exactly as you said and get a 2.8 rack or just drop the pump from the engine and get a shorter belt. Might be a quicker/easier way than faffing on with new racks etc.

I think if you've got the time and patience, and someone to show you the ropes, learning to weld will be an invaluable skill. I wish I'd spent more time learning it personally.

Good luck with it all and keep us up to date :)
Thank you that's some helpful feedback!

Yes the fact they're so available, light, simple to work on and make a decent amount of power with a 4bbl carb and cam; what's not to love! And that noise!

I too am using a Holley 4bbl carb, 390cfm which I'll be rebuilding, here's some pics!

As for the gearbox; the RX8 5 and 6 speed boxes seem to becoming a very popular box to use with a classic Ford. The splines match on the shafts and they're practically the same size as the Type 9 which means no cutting the transmission tunnel and no need to lengthen or shorten your propshaft.

Here's a pic of them side by side:

Here's how the ratios will look with 2.8 axle gears;

I'll just need an adapter plate to mate it to the RV8 bellhousing, fabricate the gearbox mounts, use a RV8 manual clutch and flywheel... and that should be it?

Oh yes, and figure out a way to convert the clutch pedal to hydraulic to suit the box; I think I'll try the following method:

Watch my V8 Capri Project on YouTube! [url]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WZv_Ps/url]

MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

That RX8 gearbox solution is very tidy. That's an excellent setup with the hydraulic clutch system. Looks factory.

If you're converting to RV8 anyway, does it matter so much that the splines match a type 9?
Are the flanges for the prop the same too?
That ratios look ideal. I'm tempted to fit one now :lol:

You'll be having plenty of fun with that carb bolted atop your new 8 cylinder. I'm very pleased to see you decided not to keep the LPG conversion.
I think I'd have been tempted to go the EFI route myself, just for the easy life once you do get it setup. Set and forget type of thing, whereas that carb will take a bit of tinkering.

Keep us updated.
:goodluck:
Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

Quick update!

I have sourced an RX8 box with 70k on the clock.

Ended up selecting the 5 speed version due to availability (apparently they're stronger, not sure how true this is..) they're exactly the same in dimension and everything else, just one less gear. The ratios for gears 1-5 are identical to the 6 speed, too.

Here's the ratios with a 2.8 rear axle:

Here's the box (with the original capri propshaft popped in!):

My next step is to remove all the EFI and bolt on the intake and carb for a mockup run with the engine still sat in the landrover to get a feel for what may need adjusting.

I'm going to take the opportunity to get the rear axle out along with the fuel tank and fully rustproof the underside and then attempt to trial-fit the gearbox.

Here's another video for you guys

And here's the latest video mocking up the brake upgrade

EDIT: Fixed YouTube links

Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

Another update;

I have the next week booked off work and planning to cram in as much work as possible!

I'm going to begin chopping out and grinding back all the areas of rust I can see, cut off the old wings and headlight bowls.

Rust proofing will consist of taking the areas back the bare metal and then treating with Fertan followed by a nice layer of Por15.

As for the underside she's still in great shape and has a good layer of the original dealer option 'Ziebart' which apparently was a thing in the 80s? I'll be covering with an additional layer of Bilt Hamber 'DYNAX'.

I have also started to strip off the EFI system in preparation to test fire the carburetor.

Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

All,

EFI System totally removed and I'm about to test fire the carb setup!

And of course, another video update

Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

Not updated here for a while; you can stay up to date via the youtube playlist I have going here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SsWAWZv_Ps

Since the last update the engine was pulled from the landy and I've begun to strip it down.

Here's the oily mess of my 3.9 engine

Removed from the Landy

Sourced another 3.5 rover V8 for the manual flywheel and just to have a spare!

Began to clean up and remove the crown wheel and pinion from my 1.6 rear axle

Finally! Slide hammered the half shaft out of the axle!

Celebratory beer

Began to restore the petrol tank

More to follow!

Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

So a little more progress..

I've had to ditch the RX8 gearbox as the fitment to a V8 was pure nightmare. The lack of a removable bellhousing makes it difficult.

A T5 is the way to go but the prices for them in the UK waaay too high.It's actually cheaper to source in US from say craigslist and ship one over via an automotive transporter like so that's what I'm going to do.

In the meantime I've sourced a 5 speed type 9 gearbox from a 2.8 capri, removed the bellhousing and had a motor engineer make up a modified bellhousing. The modified bellhousing is from a BW35 or BW65 automatic gearbox fitted to rover p6b's

Looking good!

Also to note the axle is getting its V6 capri rear gears. I wanted a quaife LSD to go in at this stage but funds are short for nice to haves like that.

While at the motor engineers the V8 is being treated to:
  • New cam bearings
  • A new cam from Real Steel (Viper Hurricane)
  • Cylinder bores honed
  • Cylinder heads skimmed

MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Sweet!

Nice to see you making progress.

Do approve of an encouragement beer, but do not approve of Fosters. :twak:
Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

Few more pics guys!

Prepping the dash for the new loom

Universal 24 circuit loom from the US, very nice bit of kit!

The new toy... an ultrasonic cleaner! every garage needs one

The block has returned from her trip to the motor engineers!
* New cam bearings
* Cylinders honed
* Oil galleries cleaned
* Core plugs

Come on!

Heads getting cleaned before they're skimmed down 1mm

Crank in and timing gears setLineToRejected

MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Coming along nicely.

Interesting to see the ultrasonic cleaner results. What sort of cleaning fluids do you use in it?
Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

MattMe wrote:Coming along nicely.

Interesting to see the ultrasonic cleaner results. What sort of cleaning fluids do you use in it?
Yeah that thing rocks.

It's a 15 litre capacity cleaner with 14 litres of water to 1 litre of regular Gunk Traffic Film Remover.

You can use regular tap water for most stuff like your tools etc.

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Been a while since your last update, how are things coming along??

All the best
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
sparks
Car(s): Ford Foucs 1.5 TDCi (Daily Driver)
Honda CBR 400 Import (Toy)
MK3 Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by sparks »

Loving this thread! Have toyed with the idea of a 3.9 myself! this is shaping up to be a mint project! keep up the good work pal
Eurostang
MR2 SW20 (Missus's)

Post by Eurostang »

sparks wrote:Loving this thread! Have toyed with the idea of a 3.9 myself! this is shaping up to be a mint project! keep up the good work pal
Many thanks!

I've not updated this thread in a long time in favour of doing it in video stages; check out my youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SsWAWZv_Ps