Capri V10

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: Capri V10

Post by sheff »

Looking good so far Andy........... Love the colour :D
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Only just seen this post and love the look of the work so far.

Going to be a monster when finished and not short on the old ponies to surprise, lets face it, a few supercars out there.

Look forward to seeing the progress you make.
CapriV8XPACK
Car(s): V8 xx pack

Post by CapriV8XPACK »

Wow :heart: :cool: :cheese: gobsmacked at this. Man this Capri is going to be absolutely mental when it is done. I often thought about a V10 in a Capri with my mate something we always wondered would fit......and well this is just proved that yes with work it will indeed. I am new to this club as of half an hour ago and holy sh** this project has got my attention. I would love to be near by as a Lambo/Ferarri or similar got a showing up as an old Capri shoots past. Epic. Look forward to seeing more progress pics soon. Good luck
sparks
Car(s): Ford Foucs 1.5 TDCi (Daily Driver)
Honda CBR 400 Import (Toy)
MK3 Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by sparks »

This build is godly!

Looking forward to the progress to come, keep up the good work!

Sparks.
Andygtt
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5
Bmw M5 (the donor for the capri)

Post by Andygtt »

Not done huge amount to the Capri as mainly focusing on the Noble, however it did mean that the noble was going to be on axle stands for a few months so I wanted to get the primer on the capri body that I had worked on so far... I have spent a week designing and shaping the rear arch and smoothing out the window surrounds and you would never know it wasn't how it left the factory. Means I got it right and am very happy :)

Door is very close to me taking a mould, next job will be to turn the car around and replicate the wheel arch exactly on the other side of the car which should be a faster process, won't start until the work on the noble is complete.

Not sure if i mentioned previously, but i am going to take moulds of the entire car and make it in vac formed carbon fibre, hoping the car will be around 1000kgs with fuel when finished.

Last edited by Andygtt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Post by damajin »

Looking good! As you say, you wouldn't know that wasn't how it left the factory, great job.

If you're going to create moulds from the whole shell and replace it all with carbon, I would imagine it'll come in a lot less than 1000KG, the original MK3 wasn't much more than that including the big cast iron V6. I don't know how the running gear and engine of the V10 compares to the original but I would guess it would be lighter.
I assume, before you remove the body and replace it with the carbon copy ( see what I did there 8-) ), you'll be building a full cage inside (or at least a space frame)?
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Sorry Missed your question.

Plan is to build a full space frame, it will also have my own design of double wishbone suspension all round and different alloy uprights etc, APs all round.
Sometimes plans do change and I have been seriously considering fitting the duratec V6 that I have developed a reliable turbo package for to over 700bhp.... It's lighter and easier for me to maintain, but won't have the noise of the V10 which is a big part of my vision for the car.
I already have a monster car and the idea of this Capri was for it to be a more sensible car to cruise round Europe instead of the tight fit 2 seater..... I've even considered using air ride on the Capri as its come on a long way in recent years and suits supercars now.

Whatever I need to start building the jigs for the suspension soon, so I can start on the chassis. so that's the next job :-)
capriandyb

Post by capriandyb »

Looking forward to updates on this,I'm in middle of building a v8 twin turbo....as big as the engine compartment is its still a struggle to fit a v8 twin turn set up lol.so I can imagine space with v10
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

So... though long and hard about going back to my tried and tested V6 with silly power (my noble with its ford mondeo V6 has over 700bhp).... had to go right back to my original dream for the car, and that was for it to be a real oddball exotic, its not all about speed as I already have that covered with the Noble and to my ears the noble simply sounds meaty, not exotic.

Plus V6 in a capri has been done before a few times :)/>

So I'm back to the original plan... started making the chassis in Feb, long way to go and i can't finalise the position of the roll cage until i have made the moulds of the tub as i want it a close fit to the new bodywork.

Driving position has been the biggest challenge as i have pushed the engine way back to get it behind the wheel C/L (making it mid engined). I need the driving position to be 100% bang on as its main use is going to be road trips around euro :)/>

Made the front uprights, just go to fabricate the wishbones and then the chassis can become a roller

Last edited by Andygtt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great project, glad to see your still at it, truly one of a kind & top quality too. Good luck :cheers:
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Andygtt wrote:So I'm back to the original plan... started making the chassis in Feb, long way to go and i can't finalise the position of the roll cage until i have made the moulds of the tub as i want it a close fit to the new bodywork.
So if you're making a spaceframe and carbon body, this shell is going to be spare? I could take it off your hands if it's going to be getting in your way... ;) :lol:

In all seriousness - will you be using it/selling it? Just curious, I'm sure it will be beyond my price range.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

This shell will be 'spare' and sold once moulds are made... as my wife keeps reminding me every time I talk about starting the moulds.

Its a very very solid shell which is the only reason I haven't cut it to pieces to help progress the build, its just too good to sacrifice.

Realistically it won't be worth a fortune IMO although a lot of people have expressed an interest in it once i now longer need it lol.
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Spent quite a bit of time on the chassis in Feb... I'm now back on bodywork and hope to start the moulds in the next month.

Last edited by Andygtt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Andygtt wrote:This shell will be 'spare' and sold once moulds are made... as my wife keeps reminding me every time I talk about starting the moulds.

Its a very very solid shell which is the only reason I haven't cut it to pieces to help progress the build, its just too good to sacrifice.

Realistically it won't be worth a fortune IMO although a lot of people have expressed an interest in it once i now longer need it lol.
Yeah, guess it's not worth a fortune in itself, but it's an invaluable starting point for someone starting out on a.... I was going to say "big project" but compared to yours I guess it's more of a medium project lol!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

I have been working on the Left side of the car over the last few weekends... basically I have to reproduce the shapes that I have done on the right side.

You would be amazed how much filler goes into building basic shapes, of cause most of it ends up on the floor and eventually in the hoover lol.

Ive painted sanded it painted it again repeatedly in my quest to get it perfect, I'm certainly close now and hopefully I will have it in a flourless coat of black paint this evening after work :)

Anyhow pics...usurprisingly they look very much like the ones earlier in the thread :)

Initially after filtering i wanted to 'see' what i had so i premiered it and them glossed it up.... wasn't as close as i had hoped so i flatted it back and added filler.

I them used a new product to me which is a polyester filler primer, effectively its like spraying a very hard filler over the car... fantastic stuff and really helped me get the roof closer to what it needs to be (remember I welded up the sunroof).

After another flat back and some more filler on the roof I used a normal high build primer and its not ready for another flat back and hopefully so black.

Last edited by Andygtt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Thought i recognised the pictures, saw them on facebook and wondered how much work had gone into that!
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Splashed a bit of black and quickly polished it up, now the roof, scuttle, passenger door and left rear quarter are ready for moulding.... going to spend some time getting the right quarter and door ready this weekend then I will start the moulds.

Been using the alloy wheels that came on the capri for painting as i don't care if they get overspray (look terrible and tyres are unusable anyhow)... this pic shows them with 50mm of spacers on the hub lol.

This is with the 10inch wide wheels (18s) that are being used on the car... I've made the car around 150mm wider at the rear.

Last edited by Andygtt on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Bit of an update, I made the first carbon bodywork mid last year and was able to finalise a lot of the chassis.... Ive also been working the final design of the front suspension, its all designed specifically for this car and from scratch so its taken a lot or planning.

Over the last 4 months Ive managed to fabricate most of the front suspension and its starting to go together. Once its on I can fit the new front wheels (19x10) and fabricate the front arches.

Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

holy hell! wow.
Arguably not a Capri now, but hey its gonna go and do everything well and look great with that body on it.
Really nice work, what a beast
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Post by damajin »

Looks great, was wondering if you'd made any progress on this.

Would love to see some close ups of the carbon body. Have you decided how much you're going to paint vs leave as exposed carbon?