Capri V10

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Andygtt
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5
Bmw M5 (the donor for the capri)

Re: Capri V10

Post by Andygtt »

No its not going to be a ford capri, but arguably closer than a Zackspeed capri as it will actually look like a capri standard lol.

It will be registered as a brand new car, probably 2020 plate by time I'm done.

Paint scheme will be pearl yellow with a lacquered carbon roof... so it looks like a vinyl roof from a distance. This is why I have split the roof from the main body as I have, so that there is a natural shut line between paint and raw carbon.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Still a great project and the colour will look awesome.
And if i ever get my V8 Capri project going i will choose to stay clear of drag racing you from the lights haha :)

Now, what about the doors, are you making Carbon doors? There is an idea if you making stock doors in carbon as all 4 doors i have are rotters. I have internal cage and side door bars so only need something that looks like a door.
Are you thinking this is something you might be able to produce for other at cost?
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Yes I am making doors, I already have the moulds although I removed the door handles and changed the trim along the glass to match what i had done around the rear glass... so they will fit a standard Capri, but they have some minor differences.

For those concerned about crash protection, the composite for the door skins and inners includes kevlar and are stupidly stiff.

This is a door I made for my noble... weighed under 6kgs and was incredibly rigid.

Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

WHAT! WOW!
I am obviously into the wrong type of composite building!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi there.

Been following your build for a while now and I'm pleased it's still going.

I was wondering if you use a vacuum to make your panels and then bake?

I read a book on composites and decided I would never have the space or equipment to do a proper job. I have always fantasized about making my own carbon components and one day a whole capri shell. So I'm glad someone is.
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

I vacuum for them, I built myself a cheap very efficient oven using celutex and some domestic oven parts.

Resin systems have moved on a huge amount in the last 10 years, the industry has been transformed... I make some prePreg parts, but the large panels are resin infusion cured to 80 deg c in my garage... I NEVER used (and don't need) an autoclave, but all my parts are vacuum formed and thus extremely strong and light.... Vacuum infusion is actually superior to prepreg for car body panels as you can easily foam core the part making it lighter and much stronger.
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

Also worth mentioning I am an amateur at carbon... I'm self taught and before making the bodywork for the noble i had no experience in composites.

If you have time, its something anyone can do :)
Andygtt
Noble M700
Fiesta ST
Bmw M5

Post by Andygtt »

After what seems like an endless task of design and fabrication I finally had enough of the front suspension to mocking up the front wheels... I changed the design significantly mid fabrication by deciding to use BMW stud instead of the original ford... this means new wheels, new hubs, new wheel bearing, slightly different offsets and thus changes to the geo to accommodate :(
I also finished machining the brake bells and adapters (as I had already had these made prior to the changes).

The reason for the design change? basically I now have a huge range of suitable wheel design and sizes with the offsets i now run, and the wheels are available off the shelf.... Also the bearings, hubs etc all are beefier than before and i don't have to machine them myself, this is actually a significant advantage as I intend to keep this car long term.
Another ramification is im going to need to change some of the front chassis as the main brace diagonal is potentially going to touch the tyre with 2 inches of bump in a counter steering position... basically when the rear end steps out and I have to counter steer to catch it lol

Anyhow it was all worth it as its now exactly what I want with no compromises at all.. I can now start making the front wheel arches, like the rear my starting point is the X pack kit, however I have to widen it and move the wheel significantly higher in the arch, Ive also extended the wheelbase a little.

Brakes are 370mm discs with 8 pots, these run 2 brake pads so double bite of a standard single pad setup.

Wheels are now 10x19 front so I can run 260/30/19 tyres all round, I'm going to run electric power steering.

Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

A stunning job, enjoying seeing the engineering involved in this project. Thanks for the updates, it's great to see this special car come together before the mainstream magazines que to feature it. Best of luck.
Rob
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Indeed yes. Thanks for letting us all watch your build emerge before it is revealled to the press. Its an incredible project carried out by someone with world class design and fabrication skills.