Mk3 Track/Race Car Build - Picture Heavy NOW!

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Re: Mk3 Track/Race Car Build - Picture Heavy NOW!

Post by Will01 »

Been doing alot of faffling about with the seats. This is something i haven't rushed at all.
All day Saturday it has taken me to loosely get a position to drill the holes in the shell to allow me to fix the weld in seat rails.
Basically the front weld in rail sits just behind the floor crossmember and i have cut notches in which the seat fixings will slide into, then will be welded up.

It is actually quite tricky to get a good seating position and place to fix the weld in rails. but i have almost done it.
Funnily enough one of the inner sill holes was in the perfect position to slide the 25mm weld in seat rail through. Then i have welded on the shell reinforcers to double up the thickness in the mounting area.
Position is perfect for both my wife & I, which is a little strange because in the road car we sit in completely different positions! It's adjustable anyway so we are close enough.

Passenger seat will be set back from the drivers seat only to get an easier position to put the weld in rails, without soo much cutting and trimming. It also gives more view for the driver when carrying passengers.
Next step is then to get the harnesses in so i can weld in the floor anchor points. Excited as she is really starting to look like she is coming together :)

FYI Seats were Cobra Monaco Pro with RSA steel sidemounts.

Pictures to follow.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

I will post pictures of the rear cage in time, but for now i am soldiering on getting the seats fully fitted. Couple of hours after work tonight and the drivers seat is fully ready for bolting in after i have cleaned everything up and repainted where required.

Seat rail coming together after welding on seat clamps

Mocked seat position

Seat rails mocked position

Front rail notched to fit around and weld into crossmember

Seat rails welded in
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Nice one.. do the seats have runners or do you just fit them in the right place for you? When fitted will they be higher or lower than a standard seat?
With a crash helmet on I had to tilt up the sun roof in my mk3 and sit kinda sideways to fit in...!
:spam:
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Hello.
No these seats have no runners. I did look at some which did, but in the end i just wanted to have a full fixed bucket.
It took alot of fitting to find the right place as i want both my wife & I to drive it, plus i would like to let my brother and young cousins have a go. we are all different heights and widths etc.
i have set seat all way forward on the side mounts where it botls into the cross rails. But i can go forward maybe 1/2 inches forward if i made some new holes of 2.5inches back on the pre-drilled holes. Plus the side mounts allow inclination and raising of the seat for other drivers.
I will colour code the mounting holes for different drivers in time ;)

I think the seat is quite low, but it is hard to judge whilst it is on the roll over jig. I first thought it was maybe higher than standard, but now i think it may be slighlty lower. or same as a wornout seat haha.
I also had to try with crash helmet, with the cage fitted, it is seriously tight. So i am going to have to add cage padding on the higher bars.
If i drilled some new holes, and used different bolts, i reckon i could maybe lower the seat another 1 inch. But hopefully it will not be needed.

I did manage to get the seat positioned so that i can sit comfortably and not have to twist too much. But you really need to fit the helmet once seated and lean forward haha. The door bars make it even more awkward to get in and out. In time when i fit full cross door bars, it will be even harder i reckon!

I got no sunroof on this car, but i don't want one with a track/race car anyway.
The only further mods i can see is that i may have to bend the gearstick over slightly as it may be too far forward, but that needs checking once box is fitted with engine.
I have made sure i have left myself some space in case i need to cut the transmission tunnel, when i do eventually fit a Cobra 32V and 6 speed box. Hopefully the box is not much wider and is mostly taller. I need to start making up switch boxes at somepoint so i can make all systems easily reachable once strapped in with harnesses.

Passenger seat i will hopefully start fitting tonight. What you guys think about setting the passenger seat further back than the drivers?
It won't look right, but i think it will give more view for driver. Toying with idea currently???

Sorry, i have just remembered i was suppose to measure some brake parts for someone on here. I will do that when i see the hub, maybe tonight if it hasn't been buried by now.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Passenger seat just about done. Spent a few hours last night after work and around dinner and bathing the kids etc.
Just need to give the welds a very quick clean and then put the final welding down for the crossrails.
In the end i decided just to go with the same position as the drivers seat, but in fact bolt them into the furthest back position. That should be good for most people. i don't know many freakishly tall people anyway who would want to go in the passenger seat!

Thankfully the Black seats and black interior with blue 6 point harnesses look good. ALthough the final check will be once the outside goes Yellow i suppose.

Next jobs just to finish and clean everything up and prime and paint the areas that require it, obviously after the harness mounts are welded in.

Got to finish the rear cage.

Fit dashboard and see if it require modification to fit around cage! I will cut up the worse condition of the two good condition dashbaords i have. Seems a shame to cutup a dash with no cracks. Saying that, no one was interested in the other better condition one.
If and when the dash does crack i will re layer with Suede for a better race car feel.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

The rear brace and seat rails are complete. Just sorting out the harness mounts now for 6 point harnesses :)
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Pictures as promised

Seat rails mounted in ready for paint

Seat in getting measurements for mounting points

Rear Brace coming along

Rear brace chassis mounts for the rear, were a bit of a pain due to their placement. But to my amazement they welded in nicely and I had no dramas putting them in! Drilling the holes for the bolts may prove to be a right pain due to the angle and because i forgot to pre-drill before welding in.... doh!

Also i went to buy more UPOL weld through etch primer. Went into Halfords where i bought the last can(few months ago), think it was £12 or something and i got trade price on it so bit cheaper. It is now £20!!! You can keep it where it is thanks!!!!!
Screwfix sell their own weld through etch primer at like £3.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Looking pretty swell.

I too got a fright by upol at the counter... was 50 bucks a can.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

I have to say i will never be buying it at that price. They can go take a running jump.
Screwfix weld through for me for now on. ;)
It must be due to certain components of the can are now more expensive to import through environmentlly friendly initiatves or something?
I couldn't care less, i not buying it anymore!
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Harness mounting points now welded into car.
Actually found i could use original mounting points for lap belts. I only had to weld in for the anti-sub straps. The shoulder harnesses mount onto the rear harness bar after the anchor points removed from belts and replaced with harness bar adaptor.
The floor had to be re-shaped in order to allow a flush flat fixing for the 3mm seat belt anchor plates. I will eventually trim the eye bolts down to reduce threaded bolt sticking down, but i may use these to allow alignment of the flat floor i will eventually make for aero ;)

Just got myself alot of bolting stuff and buying stuff to do! :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Looking forward to seeing this finished, enjoying the updates, coming on at a pace now, good luck.
Rob
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Update request
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Had a few other issues. Making excuses now, but my son had a 2nd Birthday and i built a climbing frame in garden, plus i had to redo the garden for my wife for birthday party. It was not sensible to spend alot time in garage i'm afraid.
Also my wife has me doing new bathroom now and we have had issues with other cars on the road. So the Capri has taken a proper step back from fast progress :(

I have an ALfa 156 GTA and the suspension on it completely failed on me whilst driving at normal speed on a d=restricted section of road. Alot scary and i have been trying to get it fixed back. Found a aftermarket cheap lower suspension arm sheared from its mounting because they use cheese steel rather than proper metal. Lucky no one hurt or killed and i saved car from death by luck more than skill.

My wife's Mini Cooper S had developed problems a few months back which i have now sorted, but because it has been sat soo long waiting for repair the bloody alternator has seized.

Because of this i have just been doing everything i can to keep my wifes new car 2.4JTD Alfa going i have had no time doing fun Capri stuff.

So they are all my excuses, i may be able to find more haha.
On Capri front the shell is all complete in terms of welding.
SInce i last updated i have now fully finsihed welding the braketry and making up my overkill rear strut brace. This bolts onto tabs i have welded onto the rear strut towers and then links these down into brackets i have welded over the rear chassis legs.Eventually i will add a cross aswell, but i need the space at the moment to do other things with, so that will have to wait a little more.
The good thing is i can remove at will. There may be some regs that will not allow me to run any chassis strengthening in rear of rear turrets etc.

For the rear end i have everything together, but i am not happy with the rear shackles. They are in poor condition, so i am designing some new ones a bit thicker than standard, and using bolts rarher than the original setup. I will post some CAD pics up once they are complete.
The rear diff covers i have, have all got holes so i am going to fit a alloy rear diff cover. I have chosen the Tickford style one as a good choice.
I am also going to put in place a rear 8mm alloy rally brace, plus i want to make my own rear axle brace which works slightly like the toe correction kits. This is just to reinforce what i have.
I am going to run with std type diff until i can afford a lsd. It will have to be LSD, as i don't want an atb on rear due to car setup. Still open to ideas on LSDtype and manufacturer.

Alloys are painted and just need to be bolted and sealed together. My local tyre mechanic is going to help spec tyre size for rear. THen this will tell us if i have to roll arches or not!! They are wide wheels for a std arch. Time will tell.

As for front, i have front brake setup complete, but just working on getting the coilover kit fitted to my old front shocks.
This has been bit of a headache as i found the inner diameter of the threaded sleeve to be approx 52.2mm and the OD of the strut body 50.3mm. Meaning very loose fit.
I have experimented with making sleeves which did not work. Basically i made shim which i wrapped round strut body and seam and plug welded in-situ and then ground down, but it took alot of grinidng and bad results. So i have simplified esign and now just have small thin shims which sit top and bottom with as much overlap as i can get away with. These are then welded the threded sleeve with very high heat to get a good penetration!!! lol
Have to be careful as the heat actually distorts the strut body and makes it go oval. So i used old threaded collar to keep round as possible.
They look awlful at moment, but i will post pictures once cleaned up before painting.

Got some parts designed for my double arb setup, just need to get these manufactured now. They look pretty cool though and will help stiffen front up alot! Think the front springs are 400 or 450lb and using Gaz adjustable inserts GAI4103 i think number is.

As for front radiator, i have done nothing here, so still needed to sort this out!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end. Looking forward to seeing it finished, my son has bought another track car, which is great fun, but I'd much rather race around in a Capri. Good luck with it.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Pictures
Strut with Carisport 280 conversion, spring seat cut off

Test fit threaded collar

Threaded collar

Test fit with spring at lowest setting

Preparing shim for sitting under threaded sleeve due to differences in strut body OD & Threaded sleeve ID

Shim welded in place at top and bottom only(not complete length). Seam welded and spot welded and ground until tight fit for collar.

Grp4 style Caprisport reinforcement triangles, laser cut

Grp4 style strut reinforcement triangles fitted(Caprisport kit)

Close up of plates welded in and primed. Shim will be cut back to bottom of threaded collar once collar height has been finalised anc checked with insert.

Another close up

Another trial fit with srping. Will look great once finished!

I am also going to send the hubs back to my local engineer to remove the mounting lugs for the disc. Should help remove a bit of weight from the front end after i have just added a bit with new bits and pieces. Be interested to see if these finished items weight less than my Bilstein units.
Craigorypeck
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

What spring length and poundage you running?
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

8 inch spring i think and 400lb up front

may have to find some soft helper springs to run underneath these to prevent coil being loose when jacked up see link
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/co ... er-springs

Then for rear i have single leafs springs and rear gaz coilover units with helper springs with 100lb 1.9" coils. Can't remember what poundage single leafs are, but obviously add onto what i shown there
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Long time between updates and not much done!

GAZ adjustable inserts are on order and in post.
Also ordered 40lb helper springs and spacing collar to connect to 2.25" coil.
Can't wait till they arrive so i can mock build them up and fine tune if required to height for the threaded collar.

This is also needed so i can finalise the droplink design for my new Front arb setup as i need to clamp this to the strut body higher than usual.

Also dashboard cut to fit around the roll cage. In the end i couldn't find a not soo good one, so everyone is going to kill me now, but i cut up a perfect condition Capri dashboard to fit around front pillar cage tube.

If anyone is still after a good condition un-cracked dash i still have another in my garage.........

I have a large sheet of alu, so i will be making a new dash fascia to house the gauges that i wish to use along with some standard items.
Be alot better however if i could find a water/laser cutter nearby to avoid having to cut manually.

Top mounts are the next issue as i want to have Caster/Camber mounts, but may end up with only camber adjustable if the prior are no good.
Getting close to dropping her on 4 wheels!!!!!!!!!

Also need some help. i have been in touch with Gartrac about de-cambered leaf springs and i may be sending mine taken off old 2.8 to get equalised and decambered by 2".
But they have mentioned they could supply leafs which are off an Escort. Does anyone know if the 50mm non-slipper leaf springs will fit a Capri?
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Pictures of coilovers in build
drill out spring seat

[URL=http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Firstly trial build up with all parts

Weld on threaded collar to correct height

Test fit everything after welding(things get alot tighter to slide inserts into strut body due to minor penetration from welding on inside

Test fit on shell

Test fit with brakes mocked up and compared vs 2.8 Billies

Next job, strip down, paint and build backup ready to fit.

Also in process of macking up backing plates to allow cool air to be directed into central hub to help with brake cooling
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Some quick pictures of the brake backing plate mock up in CAD
Ignore the caliper being upside down, this doesn't matter for what i am doing as the carrier is symetrical (ish)

Will need to install on the car next with steering gear and antiroll bar to make sure there is space, but this is going to be some weird shape. Then i will need to try and make sure the ducting hose does not pinch.
Since i have done Caprisport upgrade on front i may also take the extra lugs off the hub so i can get the backing plate closer in as it if fouling slightly on the mockup currently.

The backing plate will be secured by adding some small tappings in the caliper mount and then also with bracket holding the duct tubing in place to the strut, i will then add some chosen welds in the palte to add strength to the expanse of flat areas. I may make some small holes aswell so i can feed in an air line to blow it out of dust.