2.0 Laser, Rolling project (ish)

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
rob_scott92
Car(s): 1985 2.0 ford capri laser

2.0 Laser, Rolling project (ish)

Post by rob_scott92 »

Hi guys, new to the forum thought I would say hello!

Here is my Capri, 1985 2.0 Laser in mineral blue (I believe) Bought this beasty back in april!

Done a few little jobs on it since then, Mainly the cam belt/stopped the oil leak that was covering it in oil :shock: and replaced the rear axle cover as that was in a bad way. Only other thing I have done is put new tyres on the back as the old ones were all cracked and horrible and put on the spotlights which came with it! Still not sure I like the look of them though so I might take them off ;)

So a bit about me then, I'm 23 and have always loved the capri's. I've had bikes since I was 17 and have always been tinkering with them, i've never done any real work on a car until now but as far as the capri goes, there is sooo much room to move about I love it! Makes things so much easier.

This was before I changed the belt, not sure the picture shows how bad it was but you can see oiliness on the edge of the auxillery shaft sprocket...

I narrowed the leak down to the auxillery shaft oil seal as that was where it seemed to be wet the most, turned out I was right as the seal just crumbled when I pulled it out...nice :o

Next on the list was the rear axle cover. I had noticed that every time I pulled up at my destination, it would always leave a small puddle of oil inter the axle, so wanted to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

A quick google search revealed bearingkits sell replacement covers so after I rang up to enquire, they had one sent out and it arrived the next day! unfortunately it was unpainted so I bought a couple of cans of VHT paint (I want to do the rocker cover too) I didn't want a matte finish so I got a can of clear paint to spray over the top to give it a shine which worked really well!

here it is as it stands, hasn't leaked since so im fairly happy with it.

Ok so that's what i've done so far, looking back I should've probably focused bit more on another problematic area....the rust! When I bought it I was aware that the floor had a hole in it, aswell as the front left chassis rail. "Only small holes" I thought, "I'll sort it out closer to MOT time..." Well, MOT time is looming and I still haven't sorted it, and as im sure you all know, It can get quite a fair bit worse quite quickly, as it turns out the bodywork is going at an alarming rate :crying:

This is where im going to need some help, I cant currently weld. I was tempted to try and buy a good 2nd hand mig welder and just have a go myself, but as the list is growing I have come to realise there are things I wont be able to tackle myself. For example;

I have come to terms with the fact that I will have to replace both front wings. I know it is possible to get pattern ones, but I also know that they wont fit,so will need plenty of bashing to get them to look right. So what I need is someone who really knows what they're doing and would be willing to take on such a task for cheaper than a garage...(Hint hint, I live near Chester :P ) Just out of interest has anybody had a quote for such work to be undertaken? And would the wings be %100 MOT fail? Even if covered up with gaffa tape?

Other problem areas include both rear sills, both rear arches and the bottom edges of the rear quarters. I suppose some saving grace is that I got one replacement sill with the car, aswell as two arches and two rear corners. One less thing I suppose.... :D

So that's it so far, any advice would be greatly appreciated with regards to the required welding. I've found this site really helpful since ive been googling capri stuff, seems like theres a lot of knowledgeable folk on here

Thanks guys
Rob

EDIT: Thanks for the help with the images, what a clever thing that photobucket is!
Last edited by rob_scott92 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob_scott92

Re: 2.0 Laser, Rolling project (ish)

Post by rob_scott92 »

Also, if anyone could suggest how to get my images to work without coming up with a little 'x' that would be greatly appreciated :oops:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Rob,
Welcome to the Forum. I'd like to say I like the look of your car, but it seems you need to master Photobucket first :D

This should help viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33174

All the best
Neil
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Hi Rob,

Look at your photobucket picture, and on the right is a small menu/list. Click on Direct (this should copy the link to your clipboard). Then on the forum when typing a message click on Img (it's above where you type), and paste the link you copied a few seconds ago in the middle of the two Image
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Your car looks nice from the photo, I've certainly seen worse. It's definitely mineral blue, by the way.

I hope you master the mysterious ways of Photobucket as I'm looking forward to seeing some more photos.

All the best,
Andrew.
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

thanks for the assistance guys! Piccys are now on, how easy is that?!

But yeah first picture I suppose is a little misleading, certainly has got a bit worse since then :shock:

Just thought id add, my plan is to keep this for a fairly long time(If not forever :D ) Ive never been after an absolute minter, id be too scared to drive it! Plan is to keep it presentable and road worthy. Something I can use for work and the odd road trip, its already been fitted with electronic ignition so im sure that will help.I Don't mind it being a little tatty, just adds to the character.

As for the engine I want to re-paint the rocker cover, and the bit in front of the radiator. It doesn't look too bad the way it is but Im happy with the results on the axle cover so it'll begetting the same treatment under the bonnet.

Thanks
Rob
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rob_scott92 wrote: Ive never been after an absolute minter, id be too scared to drive it!
Hi Rob,
Yes, there is always that danger. The Capri just begs to be driven!

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
rob_scott92 wrote: Ive never been after an absolute minter, id be too scared to drive it!
Hi Rob,
Yes, there is always that danger. The Capri just begs to be driven!

Andrew.
:agree: If they're too good it becomes a constant cause of worry. These cars need to be driven and enjoyed. Its also very satisfying when you can do a few little jobs on the car to improve it.
Glad you've got the hang of Photobucket, look forward to seeing more in the future :)

All the best
Neil
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Rob

Welcome and good start on your car. You'll have it licked into shape in no time.

Re: looking for someone to work on your bodywork. I know it's not right on your doorstep but I used a great guy for my wing and other bodywork in Stockport (he is a good friend too). He owned several Capris (1.6S, 2.0S and a 2.8i) plus worked on the various others in his family. He understands and knows Capris very well and has restored a number of classics including P5 and P6 Rovers, extensive bodywork on his father's Mk2 Jaguar making panels by hand (which I can confirm was exceptionally done - it was my wedding car!) and I believe a P4 that has been in his family for around 50 years. You'll see a load of photos in my car thread in Members Cars section). The painting was done by a car painter just nearby him.

If you don't find somebody near you, or are interested anyway, just say and I will put you in touch with him.

Cheers
Mike
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

rob_scott92 wrote:thanks for the assistance guys! Piccys are now on, how easy is that?!
:) Excellent, well done.
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Hi guys apologies for the lack of updates! Ive not actually done much else tbh, need to get my arse in gear!

With regards to the welding, I have been inspired by this thread - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48401

So ive picked up some scrap metal from work, an outer computer casing to be exact :p Alls I need is some welding equipment. My girlfriends dad used to be a welder and has some kit, but I don't really like to ask him as he's not in the best of health at the moment, Ive asked him if he would mind showing me how to weld but I could be waiting forever. But then I think maybe I could try and find a good second hand mig for not much money ad just have a bash myself...I don't know, but seriously, how hard can it be..... :o
MS Injection wrote:
Re: looking for someone to work on your bodywork. I know it's not right on your doorstep but I used a great guy for my wing and other bodywork in Stockport (he is a good friend too).
That is a very nice offer I will definitely keep that in mind for the wings. I went to a bike night in Whitchurch on Thursday, got lots of attention in the capri! This guy came up to me asking if it was for sale, I said no. Then he was like "Is it definitely not for sale though, what if I made an offer?" Definitely not dude... :D Seemed a nice chap, he lives in stoke and said if I wanted he could give me a quote for some welding if I took it to him! Is a bit far stoke though

Apart from that, I sprayed the radiator cover...I was not happy with the results. I didn't do it properly so I shall be taking it off again, sanding it back properly and spraying it again at some point. Its getting round to it at the moment that's the problem, i'm enjoying driving it too much I don't want to take it off the road!
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Just a bit of an update!

Ive gone and bought myself this...

The dog wasn't included, he just likes getting his photo taken...

Pretty happy with it tbh, ive done a little practising. Struggling a bit with butt welds but welding patches seems to be going ok! ;)

I've put a post in the Q&A section with pics of bits I've welded so far so i'll copy that into here.

Hopefully going to start making more progress with this as its been a bit slow!
Thanks
Rob
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Hi Guys,

I've had my Capri for a couple of months now, when I bought it I knew it needed some attention, but i've just been enjoying driving it too much! Now the mot is upon us, I need to get on it!

I bought myself a cheap welder off ebay. As i'm a beginner I read a few reviews and had discovered this welder should be more than good enough for me to use on my capri.

So, areas needing attention are;

Front left chassis rail

Now with this, I thought for structural reasons I would need to do a butt type weld instead of a patch over, can anybody confirm this? I have been practising with some small bits of scrap metal and have found that I am struggling to get full penetration (Giggedy..) to the other side .Therefor I would be a little nervous as obviously I would not be able to see the other side of the chassis after I've welded.

I Have had a little practice welding patches and that has been quite successful!

A tad on the messy side but for a first try I don't think its too bad, a little more practice and I think i'll be good to go.

Another area which requires repair is the floor, haven't ripped the carpet up (Yet) But from what I can see so far I don't think it'll be too much work (Famous last words I know) I reckon welding a patch over that would be ok?

Aside from those 2 areas, I also have the wings, rear arches and rear quarters that need attention. My question for these is if they would actually be an mot fail the way they are.

Front left wing is the worst of the 2, would it be possible for me to get away with this if I put gaffa tape over it for the mot? Im really not a dodgy person, I simply don't have the money at the moment to get the wings done, as I would like a professional job I need to save up for a while.

Last is the arches/rear of the sill. Arches don't actually have any holes in them at the moment, but if mr mot man goes in with a screwdriver that might not be the case!

So that's that, if anyone could point me in the right direction with types of welds etc that would be great. I don't mind it taking a couple of weeks to sort it. in fact I would quite enjoy it!
Thanks
Rob
LaserSean91
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Golf GTI (Daily Driver)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by LaserSean91 »

Hi Rob, nice to see you have got your hands on a welder. I have just done the same and want to learn. My car needs welding in similar places to yours and my wings need attention too. I am going to try and salvage my wings if I can as they are genuine ford items. I look forward to seeing the results of your repairs. I imagine you will feel a great sense of achievement once you have completed the work yourself. Good luck!
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Cheers fella, i have actually just been looking at you're thread on the 1.6 you have! Nice little project congrats on getting the engine running ;)

Bit of a small update, pulled the carpet up this morning. Found the hole in the floor i had seen from underneath, it is a little bigger than i first thought but nothing major. There is another smaller hole the same place on the other side which shouldnt be too much of a problem so im currently in good spirits! Will post pics as i make more progress, im hoping to start welding at the weekend/early next week.
Not sure if i mentioned this earlier but i decided to give myself a deadline/something to aim for. As im due to go up to scotland to visit family on the 14th august, i've decided i want to take the capri! This meaning the car will need to be mot'd by the 13th at the latest :o
Watch this space :p
LaserSean91
Donator
Donator

Post by LaserSean91 »

Thanks, the engine runs sweet but the body around it isn't :lol: A couple of plates should sort you for those holes providing the rust hasn't travelled too far. I had a small hole that has become rather large in the drivers footwell but my sills are solid. Good luck with the work, hope you can get it sorted for the Mot. Would be great for you to take her up to Scotland.
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Time for a small update i reckon!

As many of you can probably guess, i did not make my 2 week deadline. In fact, its still not done! :( Things have been a bit hectic to say the least!

After struggling for a while with my cheaply bought fleabay welder, my neighbour came round and gave me his gas mig which has made a massive improvement! Both holes in the floor have now been welded and sprayed with primer and the hole patched on the chassis rail. it was at this point that parts of the bodywork started to fall apart...no pictures at the mo as they're on my old phone but i'll try and get them. So i was then starting to doubt my skills in tackling the bodywork myself. Then unfortunately i was involved in an accident, i was daft enough to think i could take on a mercedes at a crossing at rush hour one morning in liverpool (I didnt wait for the green man :roll: ) So that has definitely put things on hold. Injuries sustained were just a fractured knee cap and bruised lung! I was VERY lucky considering the state of the guys windscreen after he hit me :shock:

around 8 weeks after i was able to do away with the crutches and leg brace and get back to normal again, still hurts to bend down but i can at least get on with a few things. While i was out of action i got a friend to make a start on the rear arches, sills and corners. Unfortunately this ended up being more of a job than he had anticipated and due to his 2nd baby being born he definitely didn't have the time to spare, so it sat 'un worked on' for another few weeks. at this point i was so gutted i started calling round some bodywork garages in the area...never thought this would be so difficult...

Rang one place, asked if i could bring them some pictures to get a rough quote for work to be done. They said ok. Next day i turn up with photos, they say they'll do it for £500, They could start it in 4 weeks, i should ring them in 3 to book. After waiting 2 weeks i rang up hoping to book it in....now they said they couldn't start it until mid December if i was lucky! Feeling a bit miffed, i went to the next garage on the list. They asked if i could drive it down so they "Booked it in for MOT" Incase plod decided to stop me. Had a good look at it and told me he would sort out the quote over the weekend and give me a call during the next week.

Thursday came and still no phone call, so i went on down there. There they were, sat on their arses like every other time i've seen them in there... When i asked if they had a rough figure/time frame for me, he said "We've been rushed off our feet this week, i'll give you a call with a price tomorrow.
That night i sent an e-mail to the last garage on my list, got a reply the next morning asking me to bring it in and they'll do a quote.Took it in the next day, had a good look round. Seemed like he'd seen a lot worse which was better than the other guys... They were acting like it was the worst they'd ever seen...Negative b*stards :lol:

So this guy said £500 and he can do it next week, sprayed and they'll take it for MOT too so i'm fairly happy with that, just want it back on the road now, felt sooooo good driving it to get these quotes :twisted: He showed me round his workshop and a few of the cars they're working on. There was a triumph GT6? which had clearly had a fair bit of work done, an Astra GTE and an old Clio.So from the looks of things they seem to know what they're doing.

At the moment i'm sat here looking for rear seat belts as my new deadline, is to drive down to Salisbury for new years! If the Capri isn't done by then i don't know what I'd do haha!

I'll update when things start moving
Rob
LaserSean91
Donator
Donator

Post by LaserSean91 »

Sounds like things haven't exactly gone to plan. Does the welder you purchased not have the option to use gas with it? Quite a few of them can be used with gas or without depending on the wire you use in it. I have got my hands on a decent clarke welder and its produces a far superior weld with gas. Sorry to hear about the accident, glad your on the mend. Look forward to seeing the end result. £500 is a small price to pay if it means getting your pride and joy back on the road, just hope it is done to a good standard so you don't have to come back to that same point later down the line. Good Luck.
Stewb28i
Car(s): 1986 2.8i Special - Back on the road!

Post by Stewb28i »

Gasless migs on thin steel are useless. The trick with repairing rust damage is actually removing all of the rotten metal before attempting a repair. In many cases this will double the size of the repair or more but it's the only way to make a proper repair that will last.

This is what you have to remember when you're paying for the work to be done - it's time which costs & rust repair is generally worse than it looks! I reckon if you can get the work done for 500 including paint you've done extremely well, let's hope that they make a decent job of it!

The best of luck with it - remember nothing is irrepairable but it maybe uneconomic.

Stew.